What about Gospel Steel?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Danny Hall

Post by Danny Hall »

Erv Niehaus wrote:David,
You'd better be careful!
You never know where the Holy Spirit might lead you.
There's no such thing as a "church person",
we're all just sinners saved by grace. :D
Amen Erv! :D Be careful David that we don't hog tie you and throw you in the font for a quick dunk. :lol:

Seriously, at our church we have so many folks that want to participate that we simply insist that they be commited to Christ or well on their way to making that commitment to remain a part of the worship band. Notice I said remain. We love guests who want to see what we're about.

There is an old saying around our circles. "It's not entertainment folks. There's an audiance of One." It's our outpouring of worship of Him that prepares our hearts for the message we are about to receive from His Word.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings. Ok, well maybe one of the last. Oh alright then, a perfectly ordinary slacker.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

We're very selective in who we let attend our little wooden church on the hill: you have to be a sinner! :D
Danny Hall

Post by Danny Hall »

Erv Niehaus wrote:We're very selective in who we let attend our little wooden church on the hill: you have to be a sinner! :D
Now Erv; you couldn't have read my post. I said remain on the worship team. Point being, it's a paying gig to lead the beloved in WORSHIP. We don't allow folks off the street to offer the Sunday sermon either. If a fellow was perfect he'd just ruin our church.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings. Ok, well maybe one of the last. Oh alright then, a perfectly ordinary slacker.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Daniel,
Yes, you are correct.
We're not perfect, just forgiven. :D
Bob Gondesen

What about gospel steel

Post by Bob Gondesen »

I played country pedal steel for many years .
I married a church going girl . she ask me if I
would play for her church and I now have been playing there for 27 years .It took just a little while to learn the gospel songs . One Sunday the pastor ask me to play a special during the offering because it appeared people seem to put more money in the offering , ha ha
I encourge you guys that play steel find a church
to play in , you will never regret it

Bob Gondesen
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

And a fair amount of the contemporary Christian music fits nicely on the E9. I do it every Sunday and LOVE every minute of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HqCkhssys
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Sherman Willden

Post by Sherman Willden »

Good video, David Collins, but you cheat! Playing a black Emmons doesn't do the rest of us service. :)

Sherman
Sherman L. Willden
It is easy to play the steel guitar. Playing so that the audience finds it pleasing is the difficult act.
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Hi Sherman,

It just sort of plays itself :D :) :D :lol:
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Bob Farlow

Post by Bob Farlow »

"Hymnstrumentalist". David, I like that word!
T. A. Gibson

Post by T. A. Gibson »

I too, play gospel steel in my local church and have in some gospel groups. I've been playing with this present group called "BY Faith" for some three years now. The steel guitar is a perfect instrument in the church. It produces such soulful feelings. For thirty years, I played lead guitar in church, in my evangelistic work and pastoral work but about well many years ago I switched to the steel and have found it to very accepted and enjoyed. I do believe that music came from the Lord in the first place, then over to the secular section. Many of the singers and mucisians who have come to big names started some where in a church. I've had my chances for out yonder but I'm so happy I stayed with the church playing all gospel. I've done my part of singing in the past and still like to sing but over 50 years of preaching has taken its toll. I wished I could interest some younger ones to take up playing the steel. GOSPEL playings is great!
Pat Carlson

Post by Pat Carlson »

I like to play the old Gospel songs solo at church :) On good days when I'm on a roll I have seen a tearful eye or two! To me there is no soud sweeter!
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat
Danny Hall

Post by Danny Hall »

May the Lord continue to bless you T.A. Have you got any recordings of "By Faith"

Dan
T. A. Gibson wrote:I too, play gospel steel in my local church and have in some gospel groups. I've been playing with this present group called "BY Faith" for some three years now. The steel guitar is a perfect instrument in the church. It produces such soulful feelings. For thirty years, I played lead guitar in church, in my evangelistic work and pastoral work but about well many years ago I switched to the steel and have found it to very accepted and enjoyed. I do believe that music came from the Lord in the first place, then over to the secular section. Many of the singers and mucisians who have come to big names started some where in a church. I've had my chances for out yonder but I'm so happy I stayed with the church playing all gospel. I've done my part of singing in the past and still like to sing but over 50 years of preaching has taken its toll. I wished I could interest some younger ones to take up playing the steel. GOSPEL playings is great!
Del Ray Grace

Post by Del Ray Grace »

I am one of many "Sacred Steel" players that are committed to spreading the good news of the Gospel message via the steel guitar,God bless you all!

www.sacredstrings.com
www.youtube.com/sacredstrings
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Different folks, different parts of the country, different skill levels, different levels of professionalism and fame, different brands of instruments, yet all trying to bring folks to the same Christ.

I think that's pretty awesome! :D
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Amen, Brother! :D
Del Ray Grace

Post by Del Ray Grace »

Well said Brother David,and to God be the Glory.

www.sacredstrings.com
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

This is a encouraging thread to read.
I'm fortunate to be a pastor of music.
I'm a long-time guitar player who caught "pedal steel fever" and haven't looked back!
I started playing pedal steel because I love the sound. I played my Ritt this past Christmas Eve. A lot of the younger musicians who attend my church are amazed by the pedal steel. I, too, discovered Sacred Steel, which is so cool!
Wish there was some jams here in the Pacific Northwest!
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.