New Seat

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Cal Sharp

New Seat

Post by Cal Sharp »

Joe Naylor at www.steelseat.com made me a new seat, a Lite Model, that weighs in at just a little over 12 pounds, empty. Pretty sweet. Good for flying, or local gigs when you don't need to carry a whole lot of stuff. Thanks, Joe!

C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Joe Naylor

Thanks for the nice words Cal

Post by Joe Naylor »

This Lite seat was the only model I was going to build ---- then steelseat.com came my way and after buying that company (after Thom's passed away)I was only going to build the 2 models.

Lite (without a back rest) and the Original steelseat ---- then someone ordered a Lite with a Back Rest and to make a long story short-er now I have 4 models and more on the way.

Thanks again Cal ---- hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Now, if you just had a nice cover for it !!!LOL
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Bill - I believe there is a beautiful young lady here on the Forum that makes covers. ;-)
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Bill and Lee ---- you are right and she is from Gnashville.

Great products Leann

Have had some inquiries for covers and send them that way for sure
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Got one and love it. Light as a feather, and as sturdy as my standard Steel Seat. Another good feature is that it has just the right amount of storage space, which prevents me from becoming a pack rat. :)
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Mitch Adelman

Post by Mitch Adelman »

I also really like the amp stand! I have one just like it from an old 60's kitchen set. Same color and condition but perfect height for my Peavey!
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Mitch - I have a MUCH better idea.

Order 2 steelseats and use one for an amp stand.

IT IS AN IDEA

from my view point a good one too.

****** by the way it only works with steelseats (no other brand name !!!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone that reads this gets a :D out of this.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Ernest Cawby

yes

Post by Ernest Cawby »

I have a Tom Palmer cover for my Steelers Choice with backrest, they are nice, mater of fact I have a D2F cover for every thing I own, tuner, guitar cover.amp covers. etc.

ernie
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Hay Ernie you kinda jumped in while we were having fun. Steelers Choice makes a fine seat ----- I had one years ago. And the D2F covers are OK too.

However the fun was about covers is that Cal's wife has Sharp covers so that is where the cover comment came from. :D

This Lite seat is something that they do not make as far as I know. Approx. 12 pounds is fairly light for a heavy duty seat.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

I have a Tom Palmer cover for my Steelers Choice with backrest, they are nice, mater of fact I have a D2F cover for every thing I own, tuner, guitar cover.amp covers. etc.

ernie
How nice for you. And your point? :roll:
C#
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Joe Naylor wrote:Mitch - I have a MUCH better idea.

Order 2 steelseats and use one for an amp stand.

IT IS AN IDEA
A pac-a-seat without seat padding would make a great amp stand .....
Olli Haavisto
Finland
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Olli - is that an order????

Just joking - I have had some requests that make me scratch my head but a seat with no padding is a first.

Hay - that is doable ------- the other way to look at it is an amp stand with storage.

NEW PRODUCT ???????????????

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Hay Cal building 2 twins of your seat and have to start some more.

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Hay Cal here is one that just went to Germany - Lite with Tweed and Brown

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Looks good.
Viel Erfolg!
C#
Steven Dingle

Post by Steven Dingle »

Joe is building me an original with a back, and we were able to get the mica to match my guitar to make the base with....maybe seems like a bit of overkill to have my seat match my guitar, but it sure appeals ot my sense of symmetry!
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

:)
Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 18 Feb 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Well I am working on another tweed right now that someone else saw too. I am going to try to ship it next week but will post a photo of that one too. it is a Lite with no back.

And Steve I am going to have your mica seat finished by show time in Tempe. It is going to be a special one of a kind one and we will have to get photos of it with your steel.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Who uses a cover for their tuner? :?
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Who uses a cover for their tuner?
Ha, when I got my first steel seat from WC Edgar it had some pieces of foam in it and I hollowed out one that was about 6" x 4" and made a road case for my tuner.
C#
Steven Dingle

Post by Steven Dingle »

now of course if there was a way to use bright crome for all the metal pieces.... :lol:
Danny Hall

Post by Danny Hall »

Hey Joe:
I just looked over the website and couldn't find the answer to this question. What keeps the backrest from flopping open when you're walking down the jetway to board your flight? Or walking from the van into the juke joint? Or running down the sidewalk chasing the mugger who just stolt your thumb pick?
Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings. Ok, well maybe one of the last. Oh alright then, a perfectly ordinary slacker.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Dan, a strap fastened to the seat snaps onto the folded down backrest.

C#
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Thanks Cal for answering with a photo.

Several more coming down the line (actually being built - there is no line)

Tall ones - short ones - blue ones - red ones - more tweed ones - Line X ones and on and on

Thanks to all

Joe Naylor
steelseat.com