"Me and Dad" by Joanie Keller, great for 2 reason

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jim Hartley

"Me and Dad" by Joanie Keller, great for 2 reason

Post by Jim Hartley »

Every now and then, I get to work a show with Joanie, and it is always a real treat. She is a terrific singer and musician, and she usually has a pretty good steel player with her. A few months ago, she gave me a copy of her CD that she recorded with her Dad, Bob Haberer, and it is something special. Folks,if you don't have this one, you need to get it.

Now for the two reasons. Musically, it is one of the best CD's I've heard in a long time. Great collection of classic country songs, lots of steel, fiddle, and telecaster (ya know, if you like that kind of stuff),along with a very, very solid rhythm section. Husband Mike Johnson put together a great group of players, and you can tell they all put their hearts into this project. What else could you ask for?

Yesterday morning though, I heard it in a completely differant way. Sitting here by myself, nothing else going on, I could really hear how much Joanie was enjoying singing with her dad, and how special that was for her. Mike and I have had several great visits talking about how we both started out playing in our Dad's bands when we were just teenagers, and I started thinking about how many of you started out your music career or journey working with your folks. I'll bet there are some good stories out there, I'd love to hear some of them.

I suppose I could have put this in the extended family section, or maybe the stories section, but it started out by me really listening to some great music, so here it is. Again, a really terrific CD, I know you'll enjoy it.

See ya soon,

Jim
Last edited by Jim Hartley on 9 Mar 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Agreed,Jim.I bought that CD at Fulton,MS at the October show and Joanie autographed it for me.I have her other CD's as well.You will not meet any finer people than Joanie and Mike anywhere.Real class that you don't find every day.

I thought you were pretty swell,too!I hope to see and hear you kick again soon.

Andy
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

A real class act, great singer and person. And the album is one of my favorites. :)

Kind Regards, Walter
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey Andy,

That was a fun time in Fulton, wasn't it? You folks in Mississippi sure know how to make people feel welcome.

I know it's a bit of a drive, but I'm doing a show with Mike and Joanie in Atlanta the 2nd weekend in Feb. Come on over and join us for some more fun.

See ya soon,
Jim
pdl20

mike Johnson

Post by pdl20 »

It don't get any better than this folks.Mike is such a great person to know and what could i add about his playing that hasn't already been said .some of the best country music you hear on radio and videos is non other than Mike laying down those great and tastey steel licks..I was lucky enought to finally get to see Mike again after many years,i was touring with Dottie West when he was with Mel Street, when i did the june super jam in Nashville..he and his family put on a super show.you must come hear him play in Dallas and take home his cd to enjoy what he does after the show is over.you won't regret it. 8)
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Mac McCarthy

Mike Johnson

Post by Mac McCarthy »

What a great steel player! So happens, he's a great
individual, too!

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike and Joanie at
the show in Atlanta last month. I've "run a needle"
through both CDs during the last month. They're
both fantastic albums with a variety of tunes...all
with lots of steel! If you're going to Dallas, don't
miss Mike's portion of the show.

Mike told me that they have been producing some new
Country Family Reunion programs for RFD-TV and other
channels that should be airing soon. Mike is the
Band Director/Steel Player on the Nashville produced
series.

Mac McCarthy-Roswell, Ga.
D-10 HWP Mullen 9x5 - Mullen MVP600 Vol. Pedal - Peavey Nashville 112 - Gallien-Krueger Amp - Steeler's Choice Seat - Boss RV-5 - Juzek 7/8 size String Bass - Carvin 5-string El. Bass - Ampeg SVT-IV Amp - D2F Covers
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Well, I'm headin' out to Dallas in the morning to work that show with Mike & Joanie. Once again, let me recommend this great CD and all the others by these fine folks.

Rudy, hope you are planning on being in Dallas, I'd love to visit with you. I'm sure we've met before, we were on the road about the same time.

See ya there,
Jim
Mac McCarthy

Mike and Joanie Show

Post by Mac McCarthy »

Hey Jim,

I was at the Atlanta show and really enjoyed all the
players. Sorry I'm not familiar with all the personalities who participated. Were you on drums?

Have a great time in Dallas. Wish I could be there.
Please say hello to Herby Wallace for me.

Thanks!

Mac
D-10 HWP Mullen 9x5 - Mullen MVP600 Vol. Pedal - Peavey Nashville 112 - Gallien-Krueger Amp - Steeler's Choice Seat - Boss RV-5 - Juzek 7/8 size String Bass - Carvin 5-string El. Bass - Ampeg SVT-IV Amp - D2F Covers
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey Mac

So sorry I didn't notice your post until now. To answer your question though, yes,I was one of the drummers in Atlanta that day. Wayne Stowers was feeling especially strong that day and played most of the spots. He had been ill awhile back and it was great to see him feeling so strong. I played the spots with Mike and Joanie, Russ Hicks and Tommy Dodd.

There will be another show in Atlanta in June, hope to see you there.

Jim
Mac McCarthy

Post by Mac McCarthy »

Hello Jim,

I remember Mike's and Joanie's set vividly! I
remembered thinking that either that's the best
drummer I've ever seen or either he's worked with
Mike and Joanie before. There were some breaks in
some of Mike's tunes that would be difficult to
"hear coming", otherwise...and you executed them
perfectly! Great job! Playing bass, I know there
are things one can hear coming and things one can't.
Trouble is, drums and bass have a way of, lets say,
"standing out" if you aren't there when you should be(or there when you shouldn't be) ha Everyone put on a great show for us that Sunday.

I did not know about the June show. Glad to hear about it. I will be looking for posts with info
about it.

Thanks Jim. Keep up the good work!

Mac
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Mac,

Thanks so much,and yes,I get to work with them several times a year. I wish it were every week.

Keep an eye out for the notices about the Atlanta shows and also the show in Saluda, SC. There are three a year in Atlanta, and four in Saluda. Alot of the Georgia guys come over to the Saluda show so you may as well join them.

See ya soon,
Jim
Mac McCarthy

Shows

Post by Mac McCarthy »

Thanks Jim. I'll watch for the info.

I think my friend Herby Wallace does the Saluda
shows, also. Herby and I renewed acquaintances
a few months ago when I picked up a Mullen guitar from him up in Sevierville. We worked at a Gospel recording studio in Chattanooga back in the late '60s. Herby's a great player and guy! He
introduced me to Mike in Atlanta.

See you soon.

Mac
Ulf Edlund

Post by Ulf Edlund »

Bump!
I bought the record at this years Dallas show and it's almost the only music i've been listening to ever since. The original post says it all.
1983 Emmons D10 SKH, Carter SD10, Nashville 112, Session 500, ProfexII, Lapsteels, GT-Beard reso, guitars of all kinds...
http://www.myspace.com/ulfedlund