Honest Reel to Reel tape recorder info needed

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Karney

Honest Reel to Reel tape recorder info needed

Post by Stephen Karney »

Hi folks,
I have a AKAI M-8 reel to reel tape recorder that I must sell for a friend. It is in beautiful shape and I am wondering if any of you know what something like this is worth. I saw the same model in worse shape and without the manual on EBAY for $100. I appreciate any help.

Karney
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Stephen,
The problem with these machines is that they are obsolete... Nobody records with them anymore, and it is hard to find tape for them. Because of that, they have limited value. I bought a new Akai when I was in the service for around $300, circa 1970. It was state of the art at the time, but now people use palm size digital recorders, or record onto their computer.
I would guess you would be doing well to get $150 for it. Your mileage may vary...
Larry J.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I purchased a very clean and fully functional Teac A-3300SX off of Craigslist earlier this year for $50, it came with 4 or 5 / 10 inch tapes and extra reels. Yes, it is big and heavy but it sure sounds good !

I used it to transfer all of my older reel tapes to MP3/Wave. For a few hours there I was back in the flower power mode !

$50 to $100 sounds right but the shipping is gonna kill ya.

t

Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Is the M-8 the model with tube preamps? What condition is it in?
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Ampex AX-50

Dianne Best

Post by Dianne Best »

Yes, unfortunately there isn't much demand for RtR tape any more - just a few of us dyed in the wool purists use them. I think I paid about $100 for my AMPEX 10 years ago. Still today, if you aren't working in digital, they are the best of the best.
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

I inherited a UHER reel to reel, when my wife's great aunt died a few years ago. I also have several reels of her playing, and singing. (This machine does sound on sound). Some of the rubber parts were rotten, but I finally found a source for parts and manuals in Germany.For $110, I got the recorder working again. $100 is probably the right price, if you can get that.
Stephen Karney

Post by Stephen Karney »

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Bryan - Yes, it has the tube preamps. Its 4 track, and you can record in stereo too. It is in near mint condition, I haven't played around with it much to try a recording, but what I have sounds amazing. I am tempted to buy it myself, I might have to.

I'll put a picture on here when I get a chance.

Thanks again
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

You can do your recording in, say, Protools, then send your stereo mix to the tape deck. Then back to digital. Warms it up.
Last edited by John Billings on 31 Dec 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

Thanks for that tip, John!
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

Stephen,
Great unit, I've owned a few over the years (2 right now)
Keep an eye out for speed variations.
The cap for the motor dries out causes the speed to change....then the motor draws more current.....then smoke.
We all know this stuff runs on smoke-if you let it out, it don't work no more. :wink:

Jay

PS The pre amp channels are great for other things...but I don't advise parting one out...
Bill A. Moore

Post by Bill A. Moore »

I have an old Teac I brought back from overseas, and it has plastic? tubes that allow you to lubricate the motors! Maybe others do too.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

Email sent
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

John Billings wrote:You can do your recording in, say, Protools, then send your stereo mix to the tape deck. Then back to digital. Warms it up.
I saw Andy Bradly at Sugar hill studio in Houston do this to a new Bush, Price, Nelson album we are working on and it made a big time difference to "bounce" it to the tape and back.
Digital recordings can get a little "sterile" to me. Bouncing it to tape is the answer I like.