Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

wish i could see this in color!
thanxxx peewee.........
and many happy trails....
jack
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

ROGER. . . .Your are right . . .I played the pin-ball machine most of the time because everybody else wanted to play the steel.

And they were all better than I was. . .so there ya go.

We had Johnny Cox, Puddin', Buddy Emmons,Jimmy Day etc.etc.etc. What's a guy to do?

The band was Me (whenever I wasn't playing (pinball),
Pete Blue, Rick Boyer, George whats-his-name and the Spanish guy on drums and we had a percussion system going on.

And we had some real good brownies.

And Jack. . .I LIVED IT ALL IN COLOR.

NOW!!!!!!!! THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLE DAYZ!!!!
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Pee Wee Rogers wrote:Thanks Rick. . .

I don't remember that one. Wonder when that was?

You know when you'e playing you really don't know how it sounds because of the mix, etc. . .I just play off the cuff.

Thanks . . . Pee Wee
The video says it was around 2000. Do I remember correctly that the guitar player in that video was into parachuting? Seem's like I remember talking to him about that at the Opry. I'm a pilot, I don't even remember how we got connected. Maybe it was somebody else. I had one of you guys doing Lucy Brown around '94 that I wore out. I know what you mean about the mix, but handle the off the cuff very well. I've always been a Pee Wee fan.

:)
Darrell Owens

Thanks for your reply

Post by Darrell Owens »

PEE WEE,

Thank you for the reply. I admit I was hesitant to ask, because names are personal, but I am glad I did and what a story you have to share with us. With the wealth of country music history you have experienced, you should write a book.

I apologize for hi-jacking the thread. It should be under Steel Players. Maybe someone will move it so more people will see it.

You have an amazing life. Enjoy the new year, and I hope to meet you next time I am in Nashville.

Darrell OWens
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Back in about 1994 I think it was, I came to a jam session at the Rose Room with my brother in law and we got up and he played bass and I played guitar. You told me after we had been up that if you had known I played steel I could have sat in on yours. Phil Baugh was there that night but no amount of coaxing would get him up to jam.
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

RICK. . . the guy that was into Skydiving was David Nye.
He was playing Guitar up until the Opry scaled back three or four years ago.

DARRELL . I's good that we can communicate in a casual way. We're all made of the same stuff. I would venture to say the only Buddy Emmons is the only real "Buddy" that's ever been in town. That's his real name.
You didn't hi-jack anything.It just turned into a long conversation about this and that. I'd like to know something about some of you guys.

CRAIG . .The ROSE ROOM!!! That's where I met my now departed wife. No, she didn't die she found a boyfriend and I let him have her. We were together for almost 20 years. At my age I don't think I'll do that again.
Roy Peterman

Post by Roy Peterman »

Pee Wee,

I really enjoyed reading the stories in this thread. I played for David Houston about 2 1/2 years between times you played for him and got to talk to you a few times here and there. Calvin Crawford was a good friend as was Gary Cabe, Ron Stroop, and Mike Penny. Those were certainly the days! I am glad you are still picking with Tater, and enjoying it more than ever. You always had a great tone on that Emmons, and I enjoyed your playing; take care of yourself Pee Wee!
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

Roy. . .I remember you well.

The last time we spoke was in front of Roy Acuff's,
derssing room just standing in the hall.

You went with Jeannie Pruitt and she wouldn't work enough for some reason or other.

I beleive that you went back home to raise your kids.

You did the right thing.

I wondered over the years where you were and what you were doing.

I'm sure you're still playing somewhere.

You play Masterfully. "The Waltz of the Angels" was to die for. Even the Opry mix was amazing.I know because I heard it!!!!!!!!

So good to hear from you and keep in touch.

Pee Wee
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

Here is a pic from 1972. I think it is Pee Wee but it might be Bobby Goldsboro. :) The band I played with when I was in high school was opening for David Houston that day.
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

Tim. . .That's Jack Pruitt on Guitar and me with David Houston's Band.

Thanks for the photo. . .I don't have one like that.

Pee Wee
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Nice Hair Doo there Pee Wee, I think we all went

through the Beatle Hair stage. 8)

Hope you and everyone has a great 2010.
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

I don't know where that picture was taken. . .but, if it was 1972 I was 38 years old.

I'm not sure if that was before or after Satin Sheets but, that is Jeannie Pruett's Husband Jack in the picture.

David at the time said "I just wish just had hair".

Pee Wee
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Thanks, thanks, thanks! ALL OF YOU!

This was a WONDERFUL thread! Loved it!

Richard
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

Richard. . .surely you jest.

I don't live far from you. .so watch out.

Pee Wee
Arnett Mills

Post by Arnett Mills »

HELLO PEE WEE
JUST LIKE TO SAY I REALLY ENJOYED THE STORIES, AND THANKS RICK FOR THE VIDEO. THATS REAL COUNTRY MUSIC AND STEEL PLAYING,
PEE WEE I MET YOU AT THE T-BIRD IN DANVILLE,VA.BACK IN THE LATE 60'S I BELIEVE. I WAS THE STEEL PLAYER FOR THE HOUSE BAND, I HEARD YOU WITH DAVID HOUSTON AND JACK GREEN ,AND MAYBE SOME OTHER STARS. ITS REALLY GOOD TO HEAR THAT YOURE OK .IT'S ALSO GOOD TO HEAR FROM CLYDE MATTOX.AFTER ALL YOUVE BEEN THROUGH THIS SHOULDN'T BOTHER YOU TO MUCH.
I GOT ALL MY STEEL GUITARS FROM LEANARD STADLER AND ONE TIME THERE WAS A STEEL GUITAR CASE WITH METAL TRIMMINGS ALL IN THE PLUSH LINING.WORD HAD IT THAT ONE OF YOUR WIVES TOOK AN AXE TO YOUR STEEL.
GOD BLESS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
ARNETT MILLS
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

Arnett. . .one of them maybe took an axe to me. . . but, not my guitars.

I've wanted to do that several times myself.

Even though I'm not famous I have really had a fullfilling life in the business.

I think it's referred to as "Steel Therapy".

Never a boring moment. 'Cause as you know for every job there's at least a dozen players waiting for you to die or leave town or somehow be gone.

But, when things do go exactly right you've go a thousand built-in excuses. . .Temp, couln't hear the monitor,strings are stretching,lighting was a little off. . .etc etc etc.

I had one of Leonard's guitars. Almost an Emmons because they used the same supply company to make their parts.

Good to hear from you all.

I am 75 now, but I feel the same way I did the first day I got here. I told Tommy White a few weeks ago that my worse day mose probably felt better to me than his best day made him feel.

He looked at me really funny! But, it's true.

I love it!!!!!!!!

Pee Wee
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Oh man!! Here we have steel guitar history at its finest. Thank You Pee Wee.
Believe it or not, I have a question for you although our paths have never crossed. Its a really long shot of a question but here goes..

First, did you ever play on an instrumental album some time prior to 1971?

Around 1971 I heard this beautiful Steel tune on an album in Norway. I can't remember the name of the tune but I could hum it for you.(Lots of good that'll do) I am quite sure it was PEDAL steel.
All I remember is the player's name was Pee Wee something, according to the liner notes. But people tried to tell me no, there is no steel player by the name of Pee Wee so it must be the wrong album jacket!

You have a great memory so I am sure if it was you playing that tune, you will have no problem recalling it.

Thank you so much for your great stories. You really have a knack for writing!
Tim Hurst

Post by Tim Hurst »

Pee Wee Rogers wrote:
I don't know where that picture was taken. . .but, if it was 1972 I was 38 years old.
The picture I posted was in Cosby, TN at the Ramp Festival.
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

bent....
in case it's not peewee....
it could have been
peewee whitewing with hank thompson's
brazo's valley boys
he is still with us
still plays some in south louisiana......
jack......
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

Another groupie;

Bent, to my knowledge and to the best of my memory I have never cut an instrumental.

I was always a back-up player. . .copy cat.

As jack said it could have been Pee Wee Whitewing, or maybe Pee Wee Kings band. Instrumentals used be as important as regular vocal recordings.

Tim, I remember the Ramp Festival (I remember the odor too) and you know it seems like Jeannie Pruitt was on that show too!!

Jack, I saw Pee Wee Whitewing and Bob White playing together with Hank Thompson "Big Band" when I was still in Charleston.

Unbelievabe. . .even the piano man was using a Bigsby Volume Pedal.

Three fiddles, two steels, a trumpet, drums, bass lead guitar, piano, and God what a sound. Western swing at it's best.

I talked to Pee Wee and he and Bob were both playing Bigsby Steels (the stand up kind.)

And each string that was to be moved had a large spring under the string. And he told me that the pedals never had to be tuned. Just tune open and it was ready to go.

Some body need to write a history book the the advance and decline of the Pedal Steel Guitar.

Here in Nashville they're kinda mixing 'em out.

Maybe quasar B0B? I'll bet he knows all the facts.

Pee Wee
Don Drummer

Post by Don Drummer »

Pee Wee, in 1981 Mountain Magic did two shows with Tater and I was the steel player. His steel man was Richard Marrs and the band leader was Dick McVey. Tater and I made a pocket knife trade at the show in Woodbridge Va. I let him have a Parker Frost with a slightly damaged handle and told him to send me whatever he wanted in exchange. I think he forgot to do this. At the time he was transporting some small trees in the band trailer to take home to his wive. Do you think he remembers doing this? I really like him and he is a treasure to all of us in West Virginia. I've heard a lot about you too in all this time since then till now. Don D.
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

Don. . .

I went with Tater July 21, 1983.

So, I don't know what happened before that because
I was with David Houston in 1981.

I do know that he is a knife collector. . .so, I'll ask him about this tomorrow night at the Opry.

He just turned 89 on December 19, 2009 so he may not remember.

Happy New Year!!!!!

Pee Wee
Tommy Dodd

Post by Tommy Dodd »

Hey Pee Wee,

How about telling everyone about the jam sessions we used to have at the Amvets on Spruill Ave. or the VFW on Dorchester Road. I remember one night I came in after playing at the CPO club and half of E.T.'s band was in there jamming (including Buddy C.). I was 17 years old and my Dad was with me. I sat in and played for what seemed only to be a couple hours and the next thing I knew the sun was peeking thru the half-glazed windows behind the stage. Good times to remember my friend. Hope you have a great new year.
Don Drummer

Post by Don Drummer »

Pee Wee, thanks for the reply. Don D.
Pee Wee Rogers

Post by Pee Wee Rogers »

Tommy. . .Tommy.!!!

Here you are. . .after all these years. (42 to be exact).

I remember those days like it was yesterday with Frank Beskidniak on vocals, Bob Smith on Guitar, Jimmy G on bass and vocals, Don Richardson on Drums and remember the Accordian player we called him Swede.(Never did know his real name.)

Every Opry act that came to Charleston came to Red Ransoms Club. . .right outside of the Hospital Gate at the Old Navy Yard.

I worked the Chemical Company from 08:30 to 05:00 (daytime)took a two hour nap and woked all of the above clubs at one time or other. . .ususlly from 8:00 to 12:00.

The Red Ransom Club is the one you're talking about.

That's the one we worked on the week-end. . .I think Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Red Ransoms Club was the hot spot, Jeannie Seely, Wilma Lees Band (that's where I met Calvin Crawford the first time), ET Band, The Carter Family Band with Gary Carter (and Gary is with Connie Smith right now on the Opry and RFD-TV Marty Stuart Show)and ALL of the Opry Acts that played County Hall.

We would start at 06:00 pm and stop when the sun came up. I mean played all night and hated to quit.

Everybody and his brother wanted to sit in. And we let 'em.

As a matter of fact Red Ransoms Club is where I met CW Mitchel who broght me to Nashville.

God, those were crazy times!!!

And a whole lot of fun.

Do you remember Frank Beskidniak that used the name of Hank (Something or Other), because nobody could pronounce his name?

He was a Sargent Major in the medics at the Air Force Base and got us anything we needed to get through the night and booked us into every Military Club in Charleston.

Remember that TV show we worked together I think on Channel 2?

You blew me away then and still do.

I know you and your wife are big wheels now and should be!

It's only 07:00 am on New Years Morning here in Lebanon and that's about all I can remember right now. . . .but, it's a great reminder why I came here to Nashville and also good to hear from you.

Keep in touch.

Pee Wee