Another great one is gone

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jon Graboff

Post by Jon Graboff »

What a shock! Jimmie called me at Christmas time to wish me a happy holiday season. I haven't had a chance to visit with him in person for almost two years but once Jimmie considered you part of his extended family, none of that stuff mattered. That was the kind of guy he was and I feel a little lonelier already. Jimmie once confided in me that he felt that most steel players didn't really get what he was doing on this most enigmatic instrument. After a few hours of sitting with him in his music room listening to him play, I came to the conclusion that he was right. His approach to the pedal steel guitar was profoundly deep and complex but executed so skillfully that it didn’t shout out “HEY, LISTEN TO THIS! I think a great way for us to honor Jimmie’s memory is to pull out his recordings and try to get a handle on what that sly fox was up to. I think he would dig that. Sleep peacefully my old friend
Lonnie Portwood

Post by Lonnie Portwood »

I'm so very sorry to hear this news. God bless the family, Jimmy, Rest in Peace. Lonnie
Joe Adams

Post by Joe Adams »

Very sad day - Good Friend - He built my first steel in 1961 - My prayers to his family.
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Teresa and I offer our most sincere condolences to Jimmie's family.

He was a dear friend, a wonderful and innovative player, and one one of the legends of our beloved instrument.

Fortunately for Jimmie, his family, friends and fans, he leaves as a legend, and unfortunately, relatively few true legends such as Jimmie remain.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Jimmie was one of a kind. He always treated me as a friend with kindness and a warm funny joke to send me back to Buffalo, even though I was a nobody. He never shunned me. He was a monster picker. When it comes to steel players, he was the real deal. Goodbye Jimmie. Rest in peace brother.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

God Bless Jimmy
Jay Dee Maness

Post by Jay Dee Maness »

This truly breaks my heart. Jimmy and I go back to 1969. All my best to his family
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Sad news indeed
my sincere condoleances to Jimmie's family
may the Lord keep Jimmie close to Him
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Ah, this breaks my heart. I have so enjoyed getting to know Jimmy better over the last year. A truly wonderful person. My thoughts are with you, Elsie, and the whole family.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 02 February 2005 at 10:28 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Braswell

Post by Jerry Braswell »

Many years ago while living in Nashville I got to know Jimmie through him working on my guitars. He will be missed by many who got to know him through his music and won his friendship. My prayers are with his family.
Terry Bethel

Post by Terry Bethel »

Jimmie Crawford, Innovator, Steel Guitar Builder, but most importantly a great family man. Jimmie was a true friend and I will miss him. Our prayers got out to the family.
Terry and Pat Bethel
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

My Condolences..Thats a huge shock..
Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com
Allen Moore

Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

I never met Jimmie,,but I sure met his playing! Makes me sad to think another great one has left our steel guitar community.
My Sincere Sympathy to his family.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I'm at a loss for words.
My best to the family.

------------------
Rick Johnson
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Our prayers go out to Elsie and family.
Jimmy built my p/p in his basement in'77. I am as proud of the fact that Jimmy built it as I am in owning it for all these years.
Good by my friend.
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

IT IS WITH TEARS IN MY EYES THAT I TOO HAVE LOST A GREAT MENTOR AND FRIEND, GOD BLESS JIMMY'S FAMILY AND GIVE THEM PEACE. THEY HAVE MY LOVE. JIMMY I WILL MISS YOU SORELY AND REST IN PEACE..... AND CONTINUE TO MAKE THOSE BEAUTIFULL ANGELIC SOUNDS ON YOUR GUITAR FOR THE ANGELIC HOSTS.....GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU...............JENNINGS

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

Our deepest sympathy to the Crawford family. May God bless you and comfort you. bruce & lynn
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

About ten years ago, I met Jimmie briefly at Bobbe Seymour's store. My lasting impression was that he was a salt-of-the-earth kind of person. He patiently answered my questions and I was struck by the sincerity and kindness of his remarks. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

My heart goes out to Elsie and her family in this sad,sad time, and my prayers are with them. We have lost a great friend,artist,psg innovator and designer. There will never be another Jimmie.
Im truly crushed at this shocking news.
Cor Muizer Jr

Post by Cor Muizer Jr »

this is really bad news,
our condolences are going through his family.
we are losing a great steelplayer/builder and a very nice man.

FROM THE DUTCH STEELGUITAR PLAYERS

Cor
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

One behalf of the officers and all the members of the OSGA, we extend our deepest sympathies to the Jimmie Crawford family.

John Buffington, Pres. OSGA (Okla. Steel Guitar Assoc.)
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

lately I`m scared to check this forum anymore,so many great people and musicians are leaving us.God bless Jimmy and all of his family.
Db
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

Our condolences and prayers go out to Jimmy's family..
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Our condolences to the Crawford family; I was talking with Jimmie last week. He told me of doing a project to teach the young players his open string picking technique. Of course I said that I would want it too. I told him that I had mentioned him to an old acquaintance that he knew on Air Force One during the Johnson years etc. It was a great conversation. This is a tremendous loss.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Jimmy was a close friend since he was 17 years old. We lived a mile from each other for the last 30 years. My biggest inspiration ever! What a great friend, since 1954, miss him? Like you'll never know.

bobbe