Who's the steel player

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jon Teyler

Who's the steel player

Post by Jon Teyler »

Anyone know who this guy is playing with Mark Chesnutt in this cut on the YouTube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEyzy85rRkw
Paul Wade

steel player

Post by Paul Wade »

that would be Nils Tuxen :) great player
p.w
Jon Teyler

Post by Jon Teyler »

Thank you Paul, I should know since he is from my neighbour country of Denmark
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Jon,

That is not a live band performance. Mark is singing to the CD track that Jimmie Richie produced in Nashville........Paul
Anders Eriksson

Post by Anders Eriksson »

So, who's really playing Steel?

// Anders
Fessenden D-10, Stage One S-10, Peavey Nashville 112, Boss LMB-3, Goodrich 120; Regal RD-38VS Resonator
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

Sad but true. Real clear at the 3 minute mark. I would guess it is Paul playing on the original track . Is this just the original track being played?
"The Oddball" A MSA Keyless with pedals to the right.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Mark's current steel player is Slim Yamagucchi. He plays an Excel pedal steel, but in two of Mark's earlier videos, he was playin' a Mullen D-10.

Brett
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

Why go to the bother to have musicians on the stage, just to lip-sync to a pre-recorded session? I just don't get it(maybe I'm just an old dinosaur). The musicians may very well be first rate musicians, so why not just have them play the tune?

Why would a major country artist not use his own band? I understand that the recording sessions may possibly be "different" for lack of a better word, but these major artist have their own bands that travel with them on a regular basis, why not just use them rather than this lip-sync?
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

artists singing to tracks is a bunch of crap and the downfall of modern music. give me the real thing or go home!
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Don Poland wrote:Why go to the bother to have musicians on the stage, just to lip-sync to a pre-recorded session? I just don't get it(maybe I'm just an old dinosaur). The musicians may very well be first rate musicians, so why not just have them play the tune?

Why would a major country artist not use his own band? I understand that the recording sessions may possibly be "different" for lack of a better word, but these major artist have their own bands that travel with them on a regular basis, why not just use them rather than this lip-sync?
It's because we musicians are the only ones that care about stuff like that, and the promoters realize this, and it's not a concern to them. I think a lot of the Nashville sessions might be produced with convenience in mind.

I agree. I don't want to see a live lip sync of a record. If I wanted to hear the record I'd play it.

These things will never change until the majority of paying customers get up and walk out of a performance and swear not to pay again.

If you accept it and support it, you contribute to the problem. Sorry!

:)
Don Poland

Post by Don Poland »

I guess I didnt say what I was thinking as well as I thought..the musicians are ALREADY there and being paid. Why not USE THEM rather than lip-sync? What is the point of all of this. Surely not the cost, after all, the musicians were paid to be there. Another thing I have to wonder, is the thoughts of the "recording" musicians, when they hear their recorded music being played by others and not getting proper credit. It all just seems a shame :\
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

We all know that promoters, producers, and the radio station conglomerates control all aspects of the music industry these days. That's why so many great artists and musicians are unable to get airplay or recording contracts they righfully deserve. If it's a gimmick that's marketable and profitable then that takes the front seat to talent.

I'm still waiting for the answer of who the steel player was on the song? Likely Paul Jr. since he weighed in on the topic.
Dave
'92 GFI D-10 8&6, ‘67 Emmons Bolt-On D-10 8&7, Walker preamp, Sarno Tonic preamp, Tubefex, Stewart power amps, Carvin XT tube amp, Webb Cabinets, all vintage JBL’s!
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Don Poland wrote:I guess I didnt say what I was thinking as well as I thought..the musicians are ALREADY there and being paid. Why not USE THEM rather than lip-sync? What is the point of all of this. Surely not the cost, after all, the musicians were paid to be there. Another thing I have to wonder, is the thoughts of the "recording" musicians, when they hear their recorded music being played by others and not getting proper credit. It all just seems a shame :\
I assume it's because the promotors are too lazy to do a new mix, and they want it to sound like the record. God forbid someone would play some of their own licks in one of the songs. Another remote possibility is that the venue didn't have the wattage to make the drums loud enough to bang excessively in peoples ears like they do on the records.

:)
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

David,
The answer is Paul Franklin. Using tracks for years on all musical shows is nothing new. Showing the band behind the artist is a win for the band and the audience.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It's clealy much easier for the band to 'mime' - there's no need for mics and sound-checks, not to mention what can go wrong come the actual filming. This way they going to get the sound of the record which is easily sent over the air.

And, as someone has already said, who do you think cares?

I did some sessions for some young pop artists in Britain in the '90s ('The Lilac Time', and a young lady named Betty Boo come to mind) and, when it came to their videos being filmed, I was excluded. Presumably they didn't want a fifty+ year-old guy spoiling their film!

It was fine by me - thanks to the vigilance of the Musicians' Union I got a complete TV session fee every time those videos were broadcast.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Oh crap... Another illusion vanquished.
Tim Fleming

Post by Tim Fleming »

When I used to do the "Solid Gold" show in the early 80's as Laura Branigan's bassist, We would model the instruments to a pre-recorded track but Laura would sing live.
It was a pretty decent compromise I thought.