C6th Question

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

clive swindell

C6th Question

Post by clive swindell »

I have a piece of tab in front of me from 1990 which clearly show the use of pedals 5 and 7 together.
I have asked this before but am no wiser - how on earth does one do that without using two feet on the pedals?
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Simple answer: YOU DON'T

Two feet on the pedals is a common practice on C6. My buddy Frank Rogers, one of the best C6 players on the planet, pushes the volume pedal aside when playing C6.

There are useful pedal combinations that are impossible using the standard pedal setup, if you don't use both feet.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Harold Liles Jr

Post by Harold Liles Jr »

Although I'm not a C6th player I have watched many over the years as I'm amazed by them.. I see them using two feet quite often. they come off the volume pedal do the lick then back to it.
Harold Liles
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Pedals 5,7 and pedals 5,6,7 combos are used all the time. You can either leave the volume at one level or move your foot on and off it as needed. It's not really a big deal if you practice it a bit. Look at how organ players move their feet all over the place. I've got some tabs on my website that show these combinatins and one to post soon that uses 5,6,7 together.

Greg
Kerry Johnson

Post by Kerry Johnson »

Hi Clive

Here is a youtube example of Tommy White using his 2 footed technique ...
it is at 2 minutes 34 seconds into the video clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZoPTJNmiCw

best regards
kj