Is it cool to offer constructive criticism?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

Is it cool to offer constructive criticism?

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Not too long ago I saw an obvious beginner playing with a band, and I felt that I could have I could have given him some tips, particularly about his right hand technique. But I also felt that it was the wrong time and place, and my comments, however well intentioned, would have been taken the wrong way.

All I said to the guy was that I played too, and he sounded really good. That's all. Nothing more.

Did I do the right thing by simply encouraging him? Or should I have tried to help him, possibly deflating his ego in the process?

How would you guys react if somebody in the audience said "You're doing it wrong, here's how it's supposed to be done"? Would you resent it, even if you could see that he or she was right and it was a helpful tip?
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Darrell Owens

Beginner Techniques

Post by Darrell Owens »

Mike,

We all feel your PAIN, but you made one comment that answers the question, "playing with a band".

Obviously, someone thought he was good enough to be in the band. I have often wanted to just grab a guitar out of someone's hands and at least TUNE IT! But I have learned they are happy in their folly and one of my best learned rules goes into effect here. That is, "No good deed goes unpunished."

You did the right thing. If it were at a gathering of guitarists where poeple come to learn and observe, that is a different time and place, but at a gig where a guy is paid to play, I think it would have only earned you a thankless reply.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

I think you handled it just right. Any criticism, no matter how well intentioned, is liable to be taken the wrong way when it is uninvited and/or delivered by a stranger whose credentials are unknown.
Jeff Hyman

Post by Jeff Hyman »

It depends on how it's handled. Who better then another PSG player, or another seasoned picker, to give you constructive criticism. When I'm performing, I ask other players, who say I sound good, the pick at least ONE thing they feel could use improvement (other then chops). I want to hear this feedback. Who else is more qualified? Sure ain't some non-musician who thinks everyone sounds good all the time. Lets say I am in the audience, and do not know the PSG player... and lets say there is an obvious change that would help him/her sound better in the band. I'd simply ask, "Are you up for some feedback?". A yes or no answer will determine where it goes from there. Over the years, 99% of this type of feedback has to do with stage volume, or lack thereof. PSG always seems to get stepped on by Guitar players, and soundmen never put it in the mix.

Mike mentioned right hand technique. I'd find some chop he did that I liked, ask him to show it to me, then proced on sharing one of your chops... the one he needs help with.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

I don't like constructive criticism.

I've opened myself up to it a number of times.

Only to find myself criticized.

YMMV;)

EJL
Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

The easiest thing to give is advice; the hardest thing to take is advice.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

When someone comes to me for lessons, or asks for advice or "constructive criticism", I assume that's just what they want.
In my experience, if they haven't asked, they don't want to hear it.
It's tough to be excited about your gig only to have somebody come up and tell you what you're doing wrong. :cry:
The pursuit of playing,and playing better, involves listening and self-examination, everyone comes to it in their own time.
Bo Legg

Re: Is it cool to offer constructive criticism?

Post by Bo Legg »

Yes but,
I don't hit them with the whole maple tree, just plant the seed.
Last edited by Bo Legg on 8 Jan 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Good question...If the situation is one that allows you the opportunity to establish a repore...such as talking with him/her over the course of an evening...your comments would be taken in context I'm sure.

Most times this isn't the case and your choice NOT to say anything was correct.

I'm suprised the folks in his band haven't worked with him...or let him go.
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Dan Murphy

Post by Dan Murphy »

Good topic, Yes I think it can help a player become better. It must be given in a small dose as not to offend said person. I dont offer it unless I see someone struggling with a given issue. :) I am the player that I have become due to harsh and subtile corrective criticism.It starts with learning what to play and when .Then when not to play.It is a tool to be used with care.Just my 2 cents worth LOL. :)
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I wouldn't offer it unless asked.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

always remember you were there once and how would you have took someone telling you??
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Mike,

"If you want a lot of friends, keep your opinions to yourself" - Readers Digest

I read this waiting on a root canal. Its one of those moments I'll never forget :\

PF
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Paul,

If you think the waiting part is fun, wait until they start with those little files inside your tooth. You will survive, but you'll question that a few times before it's over. Good luck with it. :)
John Lemieux

Post by John Lemieux »

If any comment is made of any kind it should be a positive one and only if requested by the player and ONLY at the end of the gig.Confidence in playing any musical instrument in public can be very fragile.
music is the spice of life
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Russ Hicks has got the best line for this:

"I think you played real good. How do you think I played?"

:lol:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Mike,

Facial expression plays a huge part in the formalities of the habitual critic. Also, one proven misconception on the part of the critic, tends to shift the shaky pedestal a few degrees to the left.
Gianni Gori

Post by Gianni Gori »

I like getting compliments from the audience and constructive criticism from musicians, expecially by the good ones and the pro's. Getting suggestions it's always a good way to grow better.

Of course, I'd love to be able to arouse compliments only, without being in need of cricicism, but I am aware it won't happen in this life.
Let's hope in next LOL :p

a good and useful cricisism is welcome to me! :)
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I disagree, Mike. Telling a (bad) player they "sounded really good" is kind of like giving a dog a reward for biting you. :eek:
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Jim Cohen wrote:I wouldn't offer it unless asked.
I wouldn't offer it especially if asked !

there's a right time and a right place, a gig is not the right time or place in my opinion...

t
Last edited by Tony Prior on 21 Dec 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Franklin wrote:Mike,

I read this waiting on a root canal. Its one of those moments I'll never forget :\

PF
Paul, did you compliment the Dentist on the root canal ?

just thought I would throw that out there !
t
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

I had another steel player tell me that I was not playing what he wanted to hear...........almost made me cry. :lol: :\ :roll: :lol:
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Franklin wrote:Mike,

PF
Well Paul, What would you rather have--a root canal or constructive criticism? Now THAT'S a tough question, huh?? :twisted:
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Mike, You did the right thing. Unless he knew you well and knew of your skill level and respected YOUR ability, and asked for some feedback, he would likely resent your comments. This is a classic time to go into "I can't save the whole darned world" mode. Opportunities will arise on down the road. But that's me.