R.i.p. Lynn Ward

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

David Griffin

R.i.p. Lynn Ward

Post by David Griffin »

I'm sorry to say Lynn Ward passed away this afternoon. I had just posted a prayer request in the Extended Family section for him & was walking out the door to a gig when I was told.(a gig Lynn was supposed to play). I had played a gig with Lynn Friday night in Gainesville,Missouri & he was his usual smiling,laughing self.As usual he sang & played his tail off! And as usual,he showed his generosity by giving me a really nice 60s' Fender Tele case. Just pulled it out of his van & said:"Here,you probably can use this". Lynn had one of those one in a million golden voices,I feel priveledged to have known & worked with the man. He recorded his last CD at my studio in 2oo6 & I got to play steel,bass & guitar on it. It was an honor! He gave me my first co-production credit on that album & we were very proud of it. We were already in the pre-production phase for his next album,sure wish we coulda finished it. So here's a toast to one of the finest singers ever & to a true gentleman.Go rest high on that mountain,my friend!
David Tunnell

Post by David Tunnell »

My condolences to Michelle and Tommy. I am praying for them.
Very truly yours,
David T. Tunnell
Alesis QS8; Peavey KB/A 300; Peavey KB5; BMI U-12; Session 500
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

In memory of Lynn I've posted 10 songs from his last album on my MySpace page.(link below) Please continue to pray for Michelle & Tom & the rest of his family.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I met Lynn a few years ago at the Siloam Springs Show. Truly a finer man you would never meet. Our condolences to Lynn's family. James and Tree Morehead
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

James, I'm like you in that I met Lynn at Siloam Springs several years ago. I didn't realize that this was him. He was a great singer and an interesting person to talk to. My condolences to him and his family. Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Dugg Collins

Post by Dugg Collins »

I got to know Lynn at various Swing Festivals and some Hall of Fame events. Very likeable guy and I sure did enjoy his singing. The CD he autographed for me will be put in a safe place.
Joel Johnston

Lynn RIP

Post by Joel Johnston »

I had the fortune of backing Lynn up several times when he was visiting the PacNW. He was a commanding presence on stage and a barrel chested vocalist - just a great country talent. I got a call from Dean Simmons, our patriarch of steel guitar in the area who knew and loved Lynn. May he rest in peace.
Earl Calvert

Post by Earl Calvert »

I had the pleasure of knowing Lynn Ward, and always enjoyed his singing. We will miss you at all the Western Swing Society showcases.
Norma Jean Lucas

Post by Norma Jean Lucas »

I am so sorry to read this. I met Lynn through Dwain Carger. He was a great singer and nice person. I visited with him at the Harrison, Ar show in December. I hadn't seen him since the Siloam Springs show.
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

It's hard to believe it's been a year since Lynn left us. I still miss him & always will. While looking for this thread I was astounded at how many great pickers,singers & friends that have passed away this year. Part of growing old I suppose. Cherish your friends & let them know you love them,you never know when they'll be gone. RIP:Lynn Ward :cry: