Problem with knee lever

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Sigi Meissner

Problem with knee lever

Post by Sigi Meissner »

I have an Emmons II (All pull)
My RKL lowers both e's to e flat on the E9th neck. But the lower e flat does'nt go back to a precise e. I have tried various rod travel lengths. Does that have any technical connection? It did'nt solve the problem either. I also don't understand why I can correct this false note by pushing my LKL which raises my e's to f's.
Thnx so much for any help
Sigi
Eddie Lane

Post by Eddie Lane »

It is possible that the return spring on that string needs to be tightened. Tighten it a couple of turns and see if you still have the problem. Also, make sure that the roller under that string moves freely.

Keep Pickin,
Eddie
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Press the lever and when it fails to return completely, just push on the lower finger in the direction that the return spring pulls. The spring should pull the lower finger back snug against the changer and stop (hopefully back to E). It should be tight enough to return the maximum lower to the rest position, while allowing the maximum raise to raise completely. Look for any binding or string ends or anything else that keeps it from returning as well.

If you don't find any other cause of it not returning, tighten the return spring in small increments, while being sure it still raises to F with the F lever.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Is the string coming back flat or sharp? If it's flat, then the suggestions you have received are right on.

If it's coming back sharp, then your guitar is most likely suffering from string overreturn, termed hysteresis, which is a more complicated condition.

Things to check: sticking roller nut on that string, severe angle from nut to tuning machine, binding as previously mentioned, lack of slack in the pull train, bad or dying string.