New Custom Built Non-Pedal

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John D. Carter

New Custom Built Non-Pedal

Post by John D. Carter »

Custom built steel features a Corian Sound-board for warm mellow sound. 22.5 inch scale. I was thinking about applying for a patent, but have decided to forgo it. Will post a sound clip later.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Very nice, John.
I'm really interested to hear the sound differences.
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Very interesting. I built a Corian mandolin some years ago and that worked too but the sound was a long way from mellow. In fact, I would have called it sharp and cutting. It was nice, I liked it a lot but a long way from mellow.

Corian is a great material to work with just as long as you keep the router bits really sharp.

Fascinating John, looking forward to the sound clip.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Danny James

Post by Danny James »

How well does Corian cut with a table saw or band saw?

Has anyone done some work with Corian in a milling machine?

How about chipping?

What thicknesses and sizes does it come in?

Can it be glued and laminated?

Where is the best place to get it and is it very expensive?
John D. Carter

Post by John D. Carter »

I cut and shaped this piece by hand. It is inset in the wood carrier. I have had this guitar made for almost 2 years. I was holding off disclosure because I was going to apply for a patent, but I figured that even if I got the patent, I am not in a position to manufacture it, and I suspect it would be difficult to license. It does not cut real cleanly, as far as I can remember. This piece, if I remember correctly, was 1/2 inch thickness. It does not chip easily once it is in its final form. I bought this piece on Ebay in a 1X3 ft sheet. It was not real expensive, about 25.00, if I recall correctly.
Blake Wilson

Post by Blake Wilson »

John, what do you considerable patentable about your guitar?

You certainly have trademark and trade-dress intellectual property protections, but a patent?

Just curious....

Blake
John D. Carter

Post by John D. Carter »

Blake, with my experience with US Patents, (and I have 6)the uniquness would be in the composite design of Plastic inlaid in wood, which, as far as I know, is unique. Of course, a search by the patent examiner would yield the final say. But since I am not applying for it, we won't worry about it.
Allan Munro

Post by Allan Munro »

Danny James wrote:How well does Corian cut with a table saw or band saw?

Has anyone done some work with Corian in a milling machine?

How about chipping?

What thicknesses and sizes does it come in?

Can it be glued and laminated?

Where is the best place to get it and is it very expensive?
The best(and recommended)way to cut the stuff is with a router using the very best quality bits you can get a hold of. Never tried it in a milling machine but I think it would be OK.
It won't chip if you cut it at a suitable speed and with a very sharp cutter.
Don't know about thicknesses but it does come in large sheets - it's prime use is for forming counter tops.
It can be glued and laminated - use the glue made for the job. That glue comes in the same colors as the material and can actually become just about invisible when used properly.
The cost is very much dependent on quantity, also, it is heavy so that has to be figured in as a delivery cost too.

If I remember correctly it is made by DuPont and they used to have a really informative website for the stuff, should pop up on Google easily.

I got a load of offcuts from a local(Houston at the time)place that were into making serving counters for banks. One mans offcuts are another mans material supply!!! They also gave me a lot of partly used cans of the glue stuff.

A nice thing you didn't ask about is that it takes an amazing shine.

Hope that helps, regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Corian does require sharp cutters. The one I built has West System epoxy between layers, but that may not be the best way. The surfaces have to be roughed up considerably to make the glue bond. The glue I had from a Corian supplier was to be wicked into the edge of the lamination. That would be fine for a counter top, but the glue wicked in for only about a half inch. Not good for our purpose when the shape is machined from the glued pieces.
I don't see any patent possibilities with Corian guitars, since even Fender has a couple they built with the stuff, and home-made guitars with pieces of Corian are quite common now. Just my observation.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

How thick is the Corian ? Is it inset into the wood underneath or laminated on top ? I'd really like to see a side-view.
Dianne Best

Post by Dianne Best »

BEAUTIFUL work on the fretboard! Did you do the inlays?
John D. Carter

Post by John D. Carter »

Dianne, the fretboard was hand-made in Vietnam by a private guy who use to have a site on ebay. I do not know if he is still there, but his prices were very reasonable and he made fretboards for about every stringed instrument that calls for one.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

John D. Carter wrote:...the fretboard was hand-made in Vietnam by a private guy who use to have a site on ebay...
Yes, I recognised his work. There are quite a few orientals on eBay doing this sort of inlay work, mainly on mandolines.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

The inlay is beautiful to look at. I don't think I could see the frets very well with that though. Kind of distracting. Some folks will have to play one with that fret board and tell us what they think.

The guitar looks great though, nice job!!!
John D. Carter

Post by John D. Carter »

Bill, I have no problem finding frets. In fact the design pattern at any one fret is different than the rest and this allows one to find the needed fret very fast. It is actually an advantage to playing. Alan, the Corian is inlaid into the wood only 1/8 inch. It may be some time before I can get a sound sample online because I haven't had my recording gear set up for some time. But be patient I will soon let you know just how good this guitar sounds.