Opinions on which bender is the best?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I've only used the Multibender, so I can't compare them. The question has been raised as to why anyone would use palm levers instead of a pedal steel. I don't think it's a matter of being a replacement for pedal steel, which is a lot more versatile instrument. It's more a matter of portability. I have several PSGs but it takes time to take the pedals off, transport a heavy instrument somewhere else, put the pedals back on, and check the tuning, whereas you can just throw a little lap steel into your trunk and bring it out at a moment's notice.

I fitted four levers to mine. In reality it's difficult to use more than three levers and still manoevre your right hand to pick the strings. Also, since you can't pull or push two strings with one lever, it gives you an extremely limited range of copedants to use.
Martin Huch

Post by Martin Huch »

our idea behind the Multibender was NEVER to replace a real pedal steel, cause that is a different cup of tea,.... The idea is to give a lap steel player in
a rock`n roll or a pop band the possibility of having a pedal steel sound (of course with a lot of limitations compared to a real psg) for the few songs in the set, that require pedalsteel.
And that in my oppinion workes very fine and easy
...see our video clips: http://www.goeldo.de/gshop.php?p=bender&lang=en

Another interesting setup (which is reeeealy simple)
is to use just one single lever to lower the third
a half step for getting a simple full minor chord.
Thats what I do myself most of the time......

And THATS the best with the Multibender: You can build up your own system in a few minutes without beeing a rocket scientist..................

Greetz from Germany

Martin Huch
Duesenberg Guitars
James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Post by James Mayer »

Martin,

Do you know why the Multibender is not made available in the US?
Martin Huch

Post by Martin Huch »

James, concerning this question please contact
our US distributor: http://www.duesenbergusa.com/index2.html

Thanks and regards from Germany

Martin