Warm weather bar /cold weather bar

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Les Anderson

Warm weather bar /cold weather bar

Post by Les Anderson »

Do any of you steelers use or carry a second bar in your tote bag to use if the ambient temperature is quite chilly and you need extra help to grip the bar?

We did a show last night for a gathering of seniors and the end of the hall we played at was right beside a drafty old window (I had to set up right beside the window) and it was as cold as all get out.

I tried using my chromed bullet bar for a bit but found it almost impossible to hang onto, especially for slants. I was forced to revert to my old Fender, Stevens type bar; however, it barely makes it for a D8 let alone a D10.

Do any of you guys carry a separate bar for such occasions? If not, how do you handle the situation when the bar feels like a piece greased chrome in your finger?
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

You could carry your bar in your pocket on breaks to keep it warm.
Wayne Franco

I carry my bar in my pocket

Post by Wayne Franco »

It attracts girls!
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Hi Les,

I believe that playing with cold hands is a sore subject for all steelers. There's been many posts about freezing outside gigs, etc. Some guys carry a hand warmer. When I was starting out, the problem was magnified by being nervous, which tends to make your hands cold as well (cold sweat). In the winter, one of the things i do is to wear a jacket, even if it doesn't look great on stage, at least until my hands are warm. Also, try and wash them in hot water until they're warm, right before playing, although some bars don't have hot water.... Personally, I've never been comfortable with a Stevens bar, because it catches on the strings.

Joe
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I'll put the bar in my pocket or run hot water over it sometimes. I've been using a Tribotone bar mostly these days and it does not have a problem with getting cold.

http://www.tribotone.com/
Bob
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

In real cold conditions, I like my zirconium bar.
Much warmer to the touch.
Richard Paul

Cold Bars

Post by Richard Paul »

If possible I run them under worm water. And I carry two bars one in my pocket, so as I can change once in a while. Carry some violin rosin, rub your thub and fingers with it, will give some grip.
Glyn Bone

Post by Glyn Bone »

Errrh....just curious Richard.....exactly how does one extract the water out of the `worm` ???? :whoa: :eek: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glyndwr

Carter SD10 4x5 with Wallace TrueTone ( 18K ohms)
Peavey NV 112
Hilton Vol.Ped.
Brad Sarno 'Freeloader'
Boss/Roland SE-20 Space Echo
BJS `Hughey` bar
BJS 1" bar
Zookie thumbpicks
Dunlop and JN finger picks
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I have a furry one.

Uhhh..what I meant to say was I have fur on one and nothin on the other.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.