playing for free

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Delvin Morgan

playing for free

Post by Delvin Morgan »

I am going to retire in a couple of weeks, and I want to put together a little group to play in hospices or nursing homes or maybe retirement centers. Do you think I will find anybody to play out for free? I have absolutely no desire to play in bars. Do any of you play for free in such places? I think it would be fun for everyone involved, and I might learn something along the way.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Delvin,if I were close to you,I'd be glad to play for free,especially at a hospice,nursing home or a church.I just love to play and sing. Possibly making someone's day a little brighter or more enjoyable is enough payment for me.

Andy
Paul Crawford

Post by Paul Crawford »

That's not for free, that's the best paying gig around.

Here in Retirement Heaven there is no shortage of venues or retired musicians. I played with a group for four years who specialized in such venues. Our music fit the audience consisting mostly of 40s and early 50 popular music including a very liberal mix of western or "cowboy" music. Our instrumentation matched with me (the kid) on lap steel and Marge our 87 year young string bass player, (the only one who could actually book as many paying gigs as she wanted.) Our lead man doubled up on rhythm guitar and our lead guitar had played at his side back home in NY for over 50 years. Our average show lasted an hour and a half starting about 2 PM.

Not only do you have smiles on every face in the room, but couples dancing in any spare space and at a couple of people singing along knowing every word. Always a sincere thanks, often with tears for bringing back long lost memories of dates with loved ones.

I've played gigs of some type or other since I was a fuzzy cheeked kid. Nothing compares to the reward of playing to the "forgotten audience". My best musical memories.
Ernest Cawby

hi

Post by Ernest Cawby »

We played the V A Hospital every wednsday nnite for a long time.
Here in Lake city fl. we started a thing in our living room, that turned into a Monday nite gig for seniors, after 3 years still going on, abiut 50 people every monday nite show up, bring food and have fellowship.
I drove 200 miles 3 nights a week to Quitman Ga. for a senior dance, it is still goping on 5 years, for free, $3.00 door charge, for lights and free food. GO FOR IT if near I would be there with bells on.

ernie
Ray Montee

WHAT about the other folks..........not yet into AARP?

Post by Ray Montee »

You've got an appreciative 'captive' audience.......
just waiting to be entertained.......

in our state prisons, adult and youth type facilities. They will seldom walk out in the middle of one's perfomance.

WHAT does it take to get to entertain at a USO program?
Eddie Cunningham

A Rich experience !!

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

I've played Free at nursing homes ,V.A. hospitals , prisons and for some needy benefits and think they are much more rewarding mentally than any paid gig in a smokey , loud bar room !!! Plus at our age it might be the only chance we get to play out at all !! Go for it and have a great time !!! Eddie "C" ( the old non-pedal , dead string , out of tune , out of work old geezer ) !!!
Ray Montee

What a guy!

Post by Ray Montee »

EDDIE: I admire that in a musician-guy!

Don't change for anyone......
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

I just had a free nursing home gig 2 miles from home,last Wednesday. We started out doing Christmas songs. Once you go through most of them, our audience still had some singing, and listening in them. We went to some classic country songs with some of them singing along, and finished with a few bluegrass numbers. There were about 35 that attended, with only one that had to leave early. Was a huge success, with the patients and staff. The pay was rewarded with smiles, clapping, and their singing along. Your all right, with saying it is better than a bar gig any day of the week.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I'm playing a Christmas for kids thing in a few days, of course it's free. I will play for free anytime anywhere (within reason and schedule permitting) to help a sick person, burned out family, etc.... (not to raise money to buy football uniforms) I want people to contact me for these shows. I travel all over on the job, so it may be that I can arrange a business trip to coincide with the gig, so don't hesitate to call me if I can help. I do mostly fiddle, but I can sneak by on some other instruments if necessary. You can hear more of that on my website. I welcome the opportunity to use my talent to help someone and give something back, so please let me know if I can help. :)

:)
joe long

Post by joe long »

I've done that for many years even while I was playing clubs. It is one of the best most rewarding job out there.
Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

I'm playing at a hospital this coming Saturday in the lobby for anyone walking through. I also play nursing homes around central and northwest Ohio. They are most appreciative. It's a great gig.
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

One of the bands I played in years ago did a Christmas Party every year for about 40 Downs Syndrome kids. They enjoyed it so much. Couldn't dance but boy did they try. Had to watch and not play too fast a song as they would get to slinging each other around. But just to see the look of joy in their eyes was more than enough to make it worthwhile.
I have a friend, bass & fiddle player who makes the nursing home circuit every week. I think he does it twice a week. One day I know for sure he does 3 homes in one day, so it has to be rewarding.
Les Green
73 MSA D10 8&4, 74 MSA S10 3&5, Legrande II 8&9, Fender Squier 6 string, Genesis III, Peavey 1000
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

Delvin, I have played for free,many times. I love playing those old folks' homes and retirement centers. I love doing it as way to give back, and the people there appreciate it too.I am sure you will get some people to back you up and play those places.I had an uncle in one of those homes,in Ohio.
The last time I was up that way I brought my guitar in and put on a little show for hiim and some ot the other patients in the home.They enjoyed it.
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

This is why God gave us the gift of being able to make music. So we can bring some joy and happiness to those who are less fortunate than us.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Mike Archer

wonderfull idea

Post by Mike Archer »

Delvin thats wonderfull

I think you are laying up treasures
in Heaven priceless

may the Lord bless you Mike :D
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Nursing homes/hospice and worthy benefits. That does not include "retirement" centers.
David Evans

Post by David Evans »

The three places I have played that we were appreciated the most were The Ice House in Selma, N.C. ran by Bowie Martin ,it's a payed gig.The others are Central Prison in Raleigh,we were nervous about it because we were taking 5 girl singers,it was a large gospel band,but they really enjoyed it and were so nice to us ,I'll never forget it.The last was Meadowview rest home in Smithfield N.C.Those folks would get up and dance in their walkers and just have a big time!
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

I love playing at Senior's centers, hospices, retirement homes, kids centers, etc. BUT PRISONS, these are the people that stole from us, raped our girls, maimed us, broke into our houses, even killed some of our families & friends.. Are they in there to be entertained after smashing my car? and for free, what is it that we owe to them poor people, or do they in fact owe us.?? Sorry for my bad attitude, especially this time of year, but can't help thinking of what happened at Fort Hood, then I'm going to go & entertain this man in the event he's incarcerated?? I don't think so..
And yes I'm very compassionate to seniors , crirically ill, but not to convicted career minded criminals & felons..
David Evans

Post by David Evans »

I don't for second defend what these guys did but just merely stating facts.
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

David I appreciate what you do & you have your reasons. I retired from working in a prison, some enjoy entertainment, but most only like to get out of their cells, regardless of reason.. I'm sorry but I still stick by my convictions, they are not in there to be entertained or make their doing time easier & more enjoyable. They are in there serving time for whatever they did. And they don't get sentenced for helping a liitle senior lady with a cane across the street.. Guilty or innocent?? not for me to decide, the courts have done that, & personally myself, I wouldn't entertain them free, paid gig or otherwise, they are there to do time & not be entertained for stealing my possessions.
I'm with Sherriff Joe from Arizona..
David Evans

Post by David Evans »

I like Sherriff Joe too.
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

:D :D
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

Yepper...if they got sent to prison then no one should try to do anything to change them around or make them think differently till they get out and then we'll deal with em. And talk about those folks down at Meadowview Nursing Home. I have played down there also and I gotta tell ya...some of them ole folks....and I just know this.....are only there to get outta their rooms. Heck I saw an ole coot sleeping in the back while I was playin for free.... Welll....welll....he should be sent off to prison doggonnit.
Now lighten up a little :D
I like Joe too!! :lol:
On a more serious note....I like to give a little back of what I have been given in life. It will make you feel better about yourself and will humble you a bit and those are good things.
jolynyk

Post by jolynyk »

well I guess to each his own.. I don't for a minute deny giving them change, and we give them many oppotunities to change.. they have access to Social workers, court workers, in prison programs, libraries, etc, etc. I do know that there are many programs they have failed before they got to prison e.g. Parole, Probation, halfway houses, etc. so they don't get sent to prison & are forgotten. Prisons are a last resort, after all else has failed or the crime was so severe (e.g. murder) that they were ineligible for the previous programs I mentioned..

I certainly don't think it's being very fair comparing our senior citizens, some fairly aged ( & quote 'ole coot' fall asleep) that have opened & developed our country for you & I to have a better life in, to people who rape our country & social values & steal our possessions. In my post I said I fully support entertaing seniors.. If they need entertainment to rehabilitate, then it's pretty sad. maybe they should take advantage of some programs inside of our facilities & get them selves ready for their release.. I won't post anymore about this. If you want to play in prisons & get them ready for the street, then that's your priviledge. I'll keep entertaining people that deserve it, our veterans, seniors, handicapped people of all ages, & hospices..

And on a more serious note,Yes I like to give back a lot , but sorry not to to people like the guy who walked in & killed 4 police officers in Washington state, or the guy who killed our soldiers in Fort Hood, nor to the guy that just robbed a local woman who was in her 80's then raped her, & killed her dog while her elderly husband was tied up watching.. many more I won't go in to. am I punitive, or just being realistic?
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

OK Guys -- maybe this has a little thread drift as its going ,
-- to get back to Devin’s question - the retirement homes and
assisted living homes have a budget for entertainment , the
group I picked with out here did about 4 gigs a month at these
places -- they payed around 40 dollars a gig -- thats not much
for three guys but it paid for gas and a chance to practice
in between paid gigs --
I played a prison back in the 70’s and all it did for me was ,
let me know I never wanted to be a guest at on of these
places - not really any fun at all .