Oak Ridge Boys/ Rex Wiseman/New Emmons

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Knowles

Oak Ridge Boys/ Rex Wiseman/New Emmons

Post by Billy Knowles »

Delievered Rex Wiseman's new Emmons to him yesterday at the Oak Ridge Boys show in Kenansville, NC. He was so delighted with it that he played it on the show last night and it sounded great as an Emmons does. Rex also said that it played great also. It is the color of a 1957 Chev and looked outstanding on stage.
The Oaks let Rex play a lot and he really did a great job. He is a very good steel player in addition to playing fiddle, mandolin, guitar and dobro and he played them all on the show.
It addition to all that he is one of the nicest professional players I have ever met. It was a pleasure to take him his new Emmons and got to hang out all afternoon with the band.
He is a mason also.
Billy
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Congrats to Rex on the new Emmons. I met Rex some 25 years ago. Got to see him play a few times back when. He's from this region of the country. Nice fellow. Very knowledgeable musician and great steel player. I'm glad you're doing well Rex. Nice gig w/the Oaks.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

The Oaks are icons of the music industry. Joe Bonsall's song about his Dad and Mom is as powerful as it gets. Jody.
John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Hey Rex, nice horn! I just copped a slightly used Legrande III D10 in the spring. It's nice to see some guys still playing Emmons guitars. Hell, all new guitars sound pretty good these days.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Billy:

What colour IS that? It looks just like a LeGrande that Weldon used to play on the Opry in the mid-'90s. A bit like Fender's 'Sea Foam Green'.

I have two LeGrande 111 D-10s - I know there are lots of good guitars out there today, but I'd take an awful lot of persuading before I'd depend on anything else for my work.

Great design and a signature sound - even if they're NOT push-pulls!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Walter Bowden

Post by Walter Bowden »

Dang! I wish I knew the Oaks were out with a steeler in my part of the woods. Kenansville is only about 45+mins up I 40 and I was totally unaware and sittin' at home w/nothing better to do. Billy, if you see this post and you hear of any good pickers coming through, drop me a line if you can.
Emmons S10, p/p, Nashville 112, Zion 50 tele style guitar, Gibson LP Classic w/Vox AC30, Fender Deluxe De Ville and a Rawdon-Hall classical
Jerry Overstreet

I believe the color is called Teal or Teal Green. It's a really nice cool shade and looks great on steel guitars I think. I almost bought a Derby in this shade a few years ago.

And if you get a chance to hear Rex, you'll enjoy it for sure. Good on the Oaks for keeping a steel guitar in their band.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Yes - it could be Teal Green, I suppose. Weldon's wasn't - it was much brighter and really stood out! I recall him saying that he asked for the colour just so that his guitar would stand out a little better on TV. I'll have to see if I still have a snap of it somewhere.

I really like Teal Green, though - Roger Hurst had one for sale here in the Summer and I was really tempted; his was immaculate! I didn't know Derby did that colour too.
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Jerry Overstreet

I remember the one Weldon played. Don't recall the exact tint though. Emmons lists a Turquoise shade on their website. Could that have been it?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Jerry - it well could have been.

Here's the only picture I can find - you'll see, perhaps, that it's a slightly brighter green that 'Teal', but it's definitely lost some brilliance in my photo.

In fact, it looks like Teal Green in my pic, but it wasn't, I assure you.

(Sorry about my silly pose!)
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

Hey Rex...congrats on the new Emmons.....I got me a new one this past June, and I'm lovin' it...Great gig you have with the Oaks....they're a great bunch of guys.......C-ya......HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Rex Wiseman

Post by Rex Wiseman »

Hey Y'all
Thanks for the nice comments about the new steel - I used to have one the same color and just thought I'd like to have another. I have to say this guitar is outstanding. The body looks great and the endplates fit like a latex glove!! It sounds awesome (even with ME playing it) I've played it a few nights now out on tour - it has settled right in and staying dead in tune. Thanks so much to Ron Lashley and Billy Knowels for building me such a wonderful steel. This one's a keeper Guys!
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Billy is just a super nice guy and Emmons is STILL a great guitar. Very nice Rex ! :) :)
Hook
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Hey Rex , Saw you tonight in Elkhorn Wis. with your baby all covered up in the storm, Out with the family , We really enjoyed the show and You sounded great on all your instruments ,which was amazing to me, But my ear hears that Emmons tight and right on key , Great job man, 8)

Thank God the weather turned nice for you guys,

Craig
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

This is the color Emmons refers to as Turquoise. It is the color of one of Weldons last guitars he used at the Opry.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Nice to see that the Oaks have "gone country" like when I first saw them in the '70's. Completely lost interest in them during their "Elvira" phase, etc. Will have to give them another listen... 8)
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Saw their show 5-6 years ago with Rex playing steel and fiddle. The music is very authentic to the original recordings, much more so than during their hayday. Plenty of steel and a little fiddle. Rex does a superb job!
Rex Wiseman

Post by Rex Wiseman »

Awe, Thanks for the kind words y'all - you're very kind. Yes this is the same color as the guitar Weldon had. In fact I had one the same color at the same time Weldon did - Jack built it for me! It was a great guitar, and I always regretted letting it get away from me......so I got another one. and as luck would have it, another great guitar....built by Billy Knowels.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

I've just realized that you are the one that had us order that mica and wanted something similar to a 57 Chevy!
Rex Wiseman

Post by Rex Wiseman »

Yeah Jack, when I ordered that last teal guitar I also ordered a Red one just like it - I didn't want a hole where the C6 neck would have been so you made a plug to fill that hole on both of them. It looked so good that you could hardly see it. I was working with John Conlee at the time. You did a great job. Both of those guitars were awesome!!
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Yes, also the first time we closed the holes on an ST10 LeGrande. You helped push us to make several improvements.