Asher Knock-off

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Asa Brosius

Asher Knock-off

Post by Asa Brosius »

Does anyone have any experience with these guitars?

Link to auction on eBay.

Asa
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Actually......it reminds me more of the CLEARWATER lap steels (from Europe).....in that they both have a pair of P-90's, along with the Weiss shape.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

At that price its obviously an import.
Some things that stick out to me in no particular order.
Those badass style bridges make for very high action, probably why they use a big chunk of wood for the nut.
The bridge pickup looks like its as high as it would go without the bottom showing.
The body wood "linden" is just another name for basswood. Not a deal breaker tone wise, but unless it has a thick hard poly finish, it will dent easy.
No angle to the headstock so if if you lower the action with a new nut and bridge, your probably going to need to install string tree's.
All that said, for $299 shipped, it does not sound like a horrible deal.
A real Asher Jr is double the price, but would be a much better guitar.
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

I wonder why they put strap lugs on it?
Fontaine Burnett

Post by Fontaine Burnett »

Yup! Stephen is right. This is just like the Clearwater I owned except for the bridge on the Clearwater is a more simple steel angle instead of the badass style here. Actually it's more of a copy of the Chandler lap steel than an Asher. I just got rid of mine (not because it was bad) because a friend of mine who is just getting into lap steel was looking for an inexpensive and good sounding steel to learn on. I've got a few other lap steels that I play more frequently so I decided to let it go...It's a really good steel for the money.

FB
www.fontaine-burnett.de
www.myspace.com/fontaineburnett

"...when it hits, you feel no pain!"
Darrell Urbien

Post by Darrell Urbien »

How 'bout these?

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Unless Bill Asher is in on this deal, I say file it under "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Which of course has been the case for Martin dreadnoughts, Gibson Les Pauls, Fender Strats and Teles, for decades.

Haven't seen too much of that sort of thing in the lap steel/non-pedal world. Though over the years there have been builders doing interpretations of Stringmasters and Oahus.
Mark
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Roman Sonnleitner wrote:I wonder why they put strap lugs on it?
We call them strap "buttons" here Roman, and I have definitely noticed that there is an increasing interest in playing lap steel standing up with a strap instead of always seated over the past several years, or more.
Mark