Kudos to Mickey Adams ... My Mullen Is Reborn!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Kudos to Mickey Adams ... My Mullen Is Reborn!

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

I spent a fantastic day, yesterday, with Mickey Adams. He picked me & my guitar up and took us to his home for a day of work on my guitar. And, work it certainly was! 13 straight hours with only one brief stop for a bite to eat ... and at the end of the day, my Mullen was literally a brand new guitar again ...

Mickey did a fantastic job on it and the guitar is just unbelievable!

I should mention that my steel, which a lot of people know by now was Gary Hogue's first Mullen, has always been a great guitar and when Gary had it he took great care of it (as well as me doing the same after I bought it). At least, Gary and I were both under the impression that we were taking great care of the guitar. Gary would sometimes lube the guitar & changer with Slick-50 and had recommended that I do the same, so I took up the torch and used it myself when lubing up the guitar. Little did either of us know what that stuff was slowly doing to the changer and mechanics of the instrument!

Soon as I finish typing this, I'll be posting photos throughout this thread and when you see the effects of stuff like Slick-50 ... well, it's enough to make a grown steel player want to cry.

We started on it at 9:00 AM and I really learned a lot watching (and, in some cases assisting) as Mickey performed sheer magic on my guitar.

When we started, the guitar didn't outwardly look like it was in so desperate need of attention (although Mickey instantly saw what my eyes didn't). It still played great and, despite a little dust on the surface here and there, generally looked really good. Mickey had seen my guitar a few days earlier and noticed immediately that it needed attention in the worst way, so we set up yesterday as our day to work on it.

We started going into the mechanics of the guitar and what we found, especially in the changer, nearly sent us into shock. I was reminded of a line from an old movie: "Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, can become a werewolf when the wolf bane blooms and the autumn moon is bright". What I thought was just a mildly dirty changer turned out to be a dreadful apparition.

When the changer came out of that guitar, I thought they were going to have to call the Crash Cart for both of us! It was horrible ... after seeing that changer, I can't even believe the guitar was playable with the changer in its condition.

Like pouring gasoline onto an open flame, Mickey's fire for the day's project launched him into action with the zeal and energy of a nuclear detonation. It was amazing to watch him work. Wow! If I had a tenth of Mickey's energy, I could let go of my stock in the Geritol company! :lol: It was infectious and I had to do something, so I tore down the pedal rack and polished it as well as the pedals, then the necks as they came off and also the pull rods as they came out.

Of course, the occasion wouldn't be complete without music, so we listened to various steel guitar recordings as we worked. Mickey's enthusiasm, energy and his tender loving approach to the guitar made the project feel more like a festivity, rather than an arduous task, and we had a great time. Despite the long hours, it seemed as though the time flew by.

During the project, Mickey's friend, Dale, stopped by to say hello and check out how my guitar was coming. While he was there, my friend, Daniel, stopped by with his little girl, Catarina, and watched the final assembly and tune-out process (of course, Catarina, being six years old, ended up fast asleep while we mad scientists conjured all sorts of magic with my guitar).

Finally, the moment came when the guitar was together again and ready to tune out. Mickey did the tuning and adjustments, played a little song for us and then it was my turn to take the guitar for a test drive.

What words can I express that could possibly articulate this sudden transformation, other than to say that I thought I'd simply gone straight to Heaven ... surely, this wasn't the same guitar that had sent us reeling into a state of horrified shock earlier in the day!

Back when Gary first bought it, he called and told me about his new Mullen and I drove a seven hour drive just to see it and play it. I was immediately hooked. Now here it is, 26 years later, and this guitar plays exactly as it did when brand new.

Mickey, how can I thank you enough for what you've done for my guitar. This old guitar of Hogue's is my ultimate treasure and prized possession and you've brought back to full life again as it was when it was newly made. Del & the folks at Mullen should definitely be proud of you, they trained you really well on your visit with them. This guitar is, for me, a pearl of great price and you've given me back my treasure in bringing this guitar back to life again (which is bringing me back to life again, as I can't seem to stop playing it!). :D :D :D :D :D

Folks, I'm so impressed with what Mickey's done for my guitar that I'm going to give him a little plug here ... if you have a Mullen that's needing some attention, Mickey's the man for you. Including my guitar, I've now seen him work on at least five guitars and what he does with them is nothing short of stellar excellence. But, aside from his technical expertise, what really impressed me the most is the genuine tender loving care that he gives each guitar.

If I were to compare his approach to that of an auto mechanic, I'd have to say he's not the grease monkey type ... he'd be more akin to the Rolls Royce mechanics in their clean white coats who treat the cars as though they cost a million dollars. His care with the guitar is that good!

Now, I'm going to hush up and start uploading the photos of my guitar's rebirth (I'm having to resize them so they'll fit and the file sizes will be smaller). There'll be several, so I'll upload them as they're finished.

Thanks again, Mickey ... you're great, man! :D
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Bill Stroud

Wow

Post by Bill Stroud »

He's a Pilot, and who knows what else Mickey can do a man of many talents, very nice job Mickey.
Jim you've got to be the happiest man in your home town.
Have a great Thanksgiving all of you.
Mickey great job it is beautiful.
Bill
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

I'm sure Hogue is very proud of what Mickey has done to the guitar! Pedal on guys!
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Bill, thank you so much for your post on this. Yep, Mickey is a man of many talents and a true gentleman as well. Our day together working on Gary's old guitar was a blast and you're very correct about me being the happiest guy here in my town! :D I told Mickey I was happier than a dog with two ... well, you do the math to finish that line! :lol:

By the way, I have a feeling that I may have missed out on the "Lifetime Of Tracks" thing because I don't think my money order ever made it to you. For some reason, I just got a credit (day before yesterday) back into my bank account for $56.00 from Western Union (who I'd gotten my money order with) and when I called Western Union to ask why, they stated that the money order had not been redeemed and had expired, so they refunded the money (that was nice as I didn't end up losing my money). My guess is that it got lost in the mail and ended up in a dead mail file somewhere. :eek: Doesn't say much for the mail service, does it?
Bill Stroud

Ltbt

Post by Bill Stroud »

Hi Jim,
I just went through my file and we did not recieve your order.
I've got one that I can put back for you if you still want it.
The mail not doing their job, way before Christmas is not good.
That's a nice looking Steel, I know Gary would be proud.
Bill
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Junior, thank you so much for posting on this. I agree that Gary is probably looking down on us from up above and I can just imagine that Pink Panther grin of his smiling at us.

You know, before Mickey and I got started the project I will admit that I was a bit worried (actually terrified) that the guitar would lose that "Hogue" feel if it were taken apart and put back together again, but it was a totally unnecessary fear. Mickey did such a good job on it and the guitar still has that "Hogue" feel like it always had.

Actually, the only thing that really changed in terms of pedal or knee lever travel is that the E to F knee lever throw is greatly reduced (which is an adjustment I'd been planning to make in the guitar for a long time anyway). I don't mind a long throw on any pedal or knee lever, but I do like my E to F to be a quick and immediate pull.

I tell you truly, if you were to play this guitar now, the color would just drain from your face it's so good. I'm tempted to take it outside and snap a photo in the sunlight because a flash on the camera just isn't doing the beauty of the guitar any justice at all.

On second thought, maybe I better not let you play it ... I just might not get my guitar back! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding, Junior ... I really do want you to play it sometime soon. Still looking forward to getting together with you sometime. :)
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Thanks, Bill ... I'll try and give you a call Monday to see how best to proceed (I'm a little gun-shy about trying the mail again).

Speaking of Mickey's talents, have you heard him play a regular six-string guitar? Oh, man ... what a player! If you haven't heard him on regular guitar, check this out as a small example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4LPiO4b ... re=channel

I'm beginning to think Mickey is a jack-of-all-trades and a master of all of them. :)
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Hope you guys don't think I'm "inordinately" proud of my guitar, but I couldn't resist one last group of photos here, with my guitar outside in the positive sunlight.

I really am pleased with the transformation of my baby. I really didn't know it could ever look this good again. :D Wish my digital camera would take shots better than this. It sometimes almost gets a fish-eye effect. :eek:

Mickey Adams

Finale

Post by Mickey Adams »

Jim Lindsey!!....You've really gone all out on this thread...great job on the pics and the analogy of the overhaul..Thats one incredibly great sounding guitar, and being able to refurbish it for you was a pleasure X10..Just the look on your face...was worth all the effort that I contributed.....see you soon buddy!>.Mickey
Last edited by Mickey Adams on 15 Dec 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!