NYC Lap Steel Festival was phenomenal!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Mike,.....I'm in town now until Monday and I'll be there this weekend......I can do the video taping.....let's talk......
Josh Cho

If you need a videographer....

Post by Josh Cho »

Mike,

Likewise, Email or PM for help with the video, I'm trying to make it in for Sunday!

Cheers,

Josh
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Video! WOOHOO I won't have to totally miss it.
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Chuck's going to be bringing his Fender Dual Pro. This is a real treat for folks who have only heard Chuck play pedal steel, he's a monster on non-pedal.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Cool, man! I'll have to bring my T-8.

Here's a great clip of Chuck Campbell playing "Hey Joe": www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgxxOUZMHA

Here's an excellent clip of Slo-Mo featuring Mic Wrecka, with Mike Brenner on lap steel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qZ6XieCFLA
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Nice clips.......I like Slo Mo.....looking forward to seeing them......

And,....I'd like to mention.....this weekend show coming up is a tribute to the late Drew Glacken....a wonderfully unique lap steel guitarist who is missed very much......those of us who were fortunate to see Drew play know that a guy like that doesn't come around too often......
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Here are a couple of songs Chuck and I will be playing (along with Mike and band):

In the Morning when I rise

Can't find my way home
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Looking forward to meeting you all! :) See you on Saturday and/or Sunday!

All the best,

Fred
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Saw the band with Chuck Campbell and Dan Tyack last night. It was a great concert. I only stayed for the first set so can't report on Slo-mo but the Dan Tyack band was smoking from the get go. It was a real treat.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Bill.....Slo Mo brought the house down......what an original unique group.....their music is a hybrid of rock, folk, reggae, rap/hip hop,.....and it works beautifully......
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Slo Mo.....featuring Mic Wrecka vocal.....Mike Brenner on Beard Road-O-Phonic & vocals.....never heard a roadophonic sound like this....awesome!

"I hum a little tune and my buzz comes back (what), my buzz comes back (what), my buzz comes back (uh huh)".....

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Chuck Campbell & Dan Tyack frontin' the Mike Neer Allstars...... :D :P

Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Now I'm really wishing I was a little more mobile. That looks like it was a great show! How was the attendance?
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

It was a great night! Dan and Chuck ripped it up. What a pleasure.

Howard's right about Slo-Mo: they brought the house down. Mike Brenner is a special player and Slo-Mo is such a unique band.

I just have to say, what a great group of fine people who played on that stage last night. Keith, the place was mobbed. It was absolutely packed.

OK, tonight is Round 2 and it's going to equally wondeful.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

See you in a couple of hours Mike......
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

The Festival was full of unbelievably great music and spirit. I can't put to words how knocked out I am with all the talent. I saw a few familiar faces in the crowd and some new enthusiasts said 'hello', but if you were anywhere near NYC and you didn't pop in to check it out, what can I say?

Howard took some video footage that's going to knock you out.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Can't wait to see the video. I've been writhing around, frothing at the mouth for not making it... well, that might be overstating it, but you know what I mean. Every time I go to a steel guitar show I envision what you have pulled together up there, Mike.
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Mike did a great job putting this thing together. The 'Mike Neer All Stars' were totally killer, they totally rocked the house on some material that wasn't easy. Great groove, killer players, and they were feeling it. I had a blast, I can't wait to see the video.

Keith this was nothing like a 'normal' steel show. For one thing, the average age was about 30 years younger. :)

I loved Slo Mo, great band. Unfortunately I couldn't stick around for Mike's set (my ride was leaving) but I've seen the videos of the band and it's great.
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

That makes sense, Dan... I am about 20 years younger than the average steel show crowd. I can appreciate that stuff but I always wish for more of the lap steel/ rock type stuff to get mixed in. Maybe I'll do something about it myself one day...
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I'm so bummed out to have missed this show. I spent the weekend helping my teenager plod through geometry. Sigh. Slo-Mo is indeed a great band - check out their CD, Smokey Mountain: http://www.amazon.com/Smokey-Mountain/d ... 021&sr=8-4

Slo-Mo takes a lot of classic Philly music elements, melodic soul & R&B and puts it in a musical blender. What comes out is unique and wonderful. Sorry to have missed Dan and Chuck too. Did you stay on Tele the whole time, Mike, or did the Clinesmith or Tricone come out of their cases?
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

The Jack Grace Band with Mike on T-8

Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

It was great to meet you Mike and Howard! :) I had a great time! And I'm loving New York! :)

Fred
Fred Kinbom

Post by Fred Kinbom »

Now that I'm back home I have time to write a longer post here. Kudos to Mike Neer for putting this event on! It was great to be there, to meet Mike and Howard and many other great people, to play, to have some of those "American size" frozen Margaritas. :)

And my impressions of New York were nothing but overwhelmingly positive (apart from being and inch or so from being run over by an SUV the first evening - my friend Michael was actually knocked over by it but thankfully not seriously injured) - friendly, warm and interesting people and a great vibe. Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where I stayed was a place I loved in particular. And I heard a lot of great music, at the Lap Steel Festival and elsewhere.

Thanks Mike for having me - I am very happy I came over. :)

(By the way - Mike and/or Howard, if you have any photos from my set at the Rodeo Bar, could you please e-mail them to me? Thanks! :))

All the best,

Fred
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Will do Fred......