Can you recommend a good volume pedal less than $100?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Rafael Guerrero

Can you recommend a good volume pedal less than $100?

Post by Rafael Guerrero »

I'm looking into this pedal - is this a good one?
Ernie Ball 6180 VP Jr. Passive Volume Pedal ($89) or ($79 at Ebay)

Or can you recommend volume pedal less $100 which just as good as the Goodrich?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

I am very happy with the Ernie ball Jr volume pedal, but I have had to replace the string 2 times. I use it a lot, and the string lasts over a year at high use levels. It's a bit tricky to change the string, but there is a video on youtube that is helpful.
Dom :wink:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati ... lume+pedal
Last edited by Dom Franco on 8 Nov 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Montee

Why?

Post by Ray Montee »

Why would you impose a restriction on your musical career.........of $100.00?

That's somewhat like announcing to the world that you want an EMMONS but unwilling to pay more than $1,000 for it. I don't believe one can expect to acquire a quality instrument or accessory by placing a financial limit on it.
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

You're not going to find anything like a Goodrich for under $100, but there are a few useable pedals you can get for that cheap.
My first volume pedal was a Dunlop High-Gain. It's pretty decent for the price.
Rafael Guerrero

Music is just a hobby of mine. I don't really play professionally nor plan to do so in the future. I don't know anything about volume pedals. I've been reading a lot in this forum - that you need to have volume pedal to have good control of volume swell for a lap steel. But I want to use a decent volume pedal so I'm just thinking what's the best thing out there besides a Goodrich L120?

Is this one good enough?
Ernie Ball 6180 VP Jr. Passive Volume Pedal
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

yes. :mrgreen:
Rafael Guerrero

So which one should I get? Ernie Ball VP Junior 25K Active volume Pedal or just a EB VP Jr Passive Volume Pedal? What's the difference between the two? Which one is good for lap steel? What's difference between a 250K Ohm resistance and a 25K Ohm resistance?

Sorry for all of these stupid questions... I said - i don't know nothing about volume pedals. I've been playing acoustic guitar over the last 30 years.
Tor Arve Baroy

Post by Tor Arve Baroy »

I just got this fender volume pedal as a backup to my goodrich pedal, after losening the bolts a little bit it works like a charm!
Just do a google search for fender volume pedal on Ebay or something, I think I paid 70 USD for mine.

I really like the look of it too, Big and shiny! :)
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

Rafael Guerrero wrote:So which one should I get? Ernie Ball VP Junior 25K Active volume Pedal or just a EB VP Jr Passive Volume Pedal? What's the difference between the two? Which one is good for lap steel? What's difference between a 250K Ohm resistance and a 25K Ohm resistance?
You want the 250k version (the 25k is for use in an effects loop, after a preamp, or with a keyboard - used right behind a guitar with passive pickups, it would make your sound muffled and dark...)
Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

I have the Ernie Ball 6180 volume pedal. I have used it for two years. Like Rafael, I don,t know much about electronics. I started playing steel two years ago. I see the need for the volume pedal. Without it, the sound will fade out.
The pedal has a problem with breaking strings. It has happened twice now. The music store charges $42.00 just to evaluate the repairs. Parts and labor are extra. I might as well get a new one, but I will invest a little extra and get one with two strings.
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Sometimes used Goodrich 120's come up for sale here for under $100. Or one of the older Ernie Ball's with side jacks for less than that. If you can wait a bit, that might be worthwhile.
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

If you can find a George Dennis, that's also a good choice, that's what I use, it's an active pedla with a very smooth taper (unlike the Morely Pro, which I don't like at all, acts like an on/off switch rather than a smooth-tapered vol pedal...)
Mark Bracewell

Post by Mark Bracewell »

I'll throw in another vote for the Ernie Ball 6180 VP Jr. with a caveat or two... don't neglect the little taper switch it has, play with it, for me one of the settings is nasty, the other is perfect. Use good cables and keep them short (or on the other hand try several lengths - cables affect tone quite a bit - sometimes a long, crappy cable is just the ticket for a fat, round sound). Sometimes these pedals squeak - a little sewing machine oil on the plastic bearings fixes that.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I agree with Ryan, I have a Dunlop Hi Gain ,Been useing it for years.No strings to worry about have put hundreds of hours on it,NEVER had any trouble with the pot.[just my opinion] a great value just eighty bucks at Musicians Friend. I also have a Morley Little Gater [no strings,no pot] about 70 bucks. Have it for a backup,just keep it on the bus all the time. I NEVER go to a gig WITHOUT a backup pedal. No matter how expensive,cheap,old,or new,even tho it may be rare you NEVER know when a pedal may die in the middle of a gig. YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.
Last edited by Charles Davidson on 15 Nov 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Joe Gretz

Another vote for EB

Post by Joe Gretz »

I have the Ernie Ball VP jr. I've been using it for a while with no problems at all. Mine was inexpensive too, as I got it used.

FWIW: I do intend to get something "better" down the road, but I'm not in a big rush.

Good luck!!!

Joe
Dattebayo!!!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i have no idea how good or reliable this model is, but it is under 100 $

Link to auction on eBay.
Joe Gretz

WOW!!! Ya learn something EVERY DAY!

Post by Joe Gretz »

I just found that taper switch that Mark mentioned on the EB...yeah, you definitely want to make sure that isn't in the "suck" position! :lol:
Dattebayo!!!
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

what taper switch? :(
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

Dom Franco wrote:what taper switch? :(
On EB Jr there is a little switch on the inside that selects either linear or audio taper for the pot.
Primitive Utility Steel
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

Twayn Williams wrote: On EB Jr there is a little switch on the inside that selects either linear or audio taper for the pot.
What's the difference?
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Carter has a simple volume pedal on their website. Not sure of the cost but looks like it should be inexpensive. That is how I would build one should I choose to do so.
Doug Earnest
Manufacturer of Stage One & Encore pedal steel guitars
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com
"Teach Your Children Well"
Joe Gretz

the difference

Post by Joe Gretz »

The difference between audio taper and linear taper:

-Audio "sounds" to your ear like it's changing in increments that are smooth and connected. This is achieved via logarithmic taper. So the change in perceived loudness from one to two sounds the same as the change from two to three, three to four, etc...

-Linear pots make their change proportional to shaft rotation, and the change they produce usually "sounds" either "too fast" or "too slow" in audio equipment. They often sound like there is no change at all from one to eight (for example) and then a huge difference between eight and nine.

I think the switch in the EB jr changes the swell rate. In one position it is a lot hotter, and the swell is more pronounced. In that position, my amp overdrives...the other yields a nice taper that sounds unobtrusive, to me anyhow! :)

That's how I understand it, I hope that makes sense! If I am incorrect, or if anyone can explain it better, please chime in!

Joe :D
Dattebayo!!!
Fontaine Burnett

Post by Fontaine Burnett »

I've been using two Ernie Ball VP's quite happily for about 5 or 6 years and I never noticed that litte taper switch :oops: ...thanks for bringing that to my attention Mark! That being said, the setting that I got them with seems to be perfect...but it is good to have options.
www.fontaine-burnett.de
www.myspace.com/fontaineburnett

"...when it hits, you feel no pain!"
Joe Gretz

me too!

Post by Joe Gretz »

I was in the same boat. That is one tiny little switch! :oops:

Das ist eine affenschande!!! :)

Ditto on the thanks to Mark, and the OP as well!
Dattebayo!!!