Jerry Byrd - Maui Chimes Tuning?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Craig Hawks

Jerry Byrd - Maui Chimes Tuning?

Post by Craig Hawks »

Saw the Marty Robbins / Jerry Byrd video on Youtube and Jerry says he's playing the song in A. Is it straight old open A or something slightly different?

Thanks

Craig
JCFSC member since 2005
'56 Fender Stringmaster D-8, '52 Fender Deluxe-8, Late 40's Oahu 6
Ray Montee

Maui Chimes by JERRY BYRD

Post by Ray Montee »

JERRY BYRD has recorded this tune several times, I believe. The most common tuning he used was C6th; most likely w/A7th on the lower half but that's not important since he didn't use it in this song.

MOST of the melody evolves around the 12th & 7th frets using the pinky finger on the left hand for the harmonics.
Craig Hawks

Post by Craig Hawks »

Thanks Ray! I'll give it try later today.

I was poking around the web looking for some free tab, but couldn't find any. It should be pretty easy to puzzle through it with the YouTube video.

Craig
JCFSC member since 2005
John Tipka

Post by John Tipka »

Craig,
I think you'll find that when in C6th tuning, Jerry pulled up the second string half a step from C to C#,i.e., EC#AGEC#, an A7th tuning.
He plays Maui Chimes using only the top four strings in key of A on the open, 5th, 7th, and 12th frets
John
Craig Hawks

Post by Craig Hawks »

John, thanks for the info. I'm going to try later.

I also wonder...(should have asked this in the original post) if it would be difficult to tune a regular ole 6 string to this tuning and do the song. Since it's mostly harmonic's and a couple of "fretted" notes. Just wondering if whatever string gauge I have on my 6 string will work with c6. Maybe I should tune c6th (with the notes as you suggest) by going down rather than up? I'm sure that people smarter that I have already solved this tiny puzzle. That's the great thing about this board. You needed work too hard re-inventing the wheel. Someone already has dozens of square and triangular wheels and can save you the trouble!

Thanks again!
JCFSC member since 2005
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

This is actually an old song played frequently by slack key players using a G taro patch tuning. I used to play this song in high school many times. The taro patch tuning falls very well for all the chimes work.

The steel players of old used this same tuning but tuned up a whole step to a low bass A, then the high bass A.

I'm pretty sure Jerry is using a basic A major tuning here in the video, same as what Sol Hoopii used.

A C# E A C# E (low to high)

Towards the end of the video Jerry plays a short version of Aloha 'Oe in the key of F, starting on the 8th fret, then dropping down to a Bb chord on the 1st fret.
Ray Montee

Hey fellows.............I was in error.

Post by Ray Montee »

Derrick is 100% correct........A6th is accurate.

I was visualizing "Kewalo Chimes"......... I don't know where my head was. Sorry 'bout that!.
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

Aloha Ray,

Sure hope you can make it back to the islands sometime. I still remember the fun jam we had in Waikiki.

:D
Ray Montee

The allure of the islands................

Post by Ray Montee »

Mighty nice of you to recall our impromptu jam....
It was a memory that will live with me FOREVER!

Not likely that the wife and I will ever have another opportunity to visit the islands.......So SAD.

Social Security doesn't allow for much in the way of entertainment....... Sure wish I could wind the lottery!
Derrick Mau

Post by Derrick Mau »

Aloha Ray,

It was a pleasure to have met you. Hopefully you'll have a chance to return in the future.

D :D