Buddy Charleton students?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Doug,

Didn't you used to play with the Baxter Brothers, at "The Crossroads" and elsewhere? My first "real" gig was with Mark Baxter in 1974; three nights a week at the Crossroads and he used to talk about you; I think you were off playing with Billy "Crash" Craddock who was really big at the time... Everybody (me definitely included) thought that was way cool; somebody from our scene who had actually gotten a gig with a big star! Glad to see you're still around the steel guitar world...

The story I told about Buddy coming in to a club where I was playing (and me hardly being able to play from nervousness!) happened at the Crossroads, after I started playing 5 nights a week there with Jay W. Martin. I kept that gig for about 2 1/2 years, all at one club! Bruce Bouton was my sub when I had to take a week off once; he and I started playing at almost the same time, and had met going to hear Tommy Hannum play his regular Monday night gig...

Danny Gatton used to play on our off nights at the club a lot of the time... The D.C scene back then really was pretty amazing, I feel really lucky to have been around for a lot of what went on.

Especially the lessons with Buddy!
Doug Palmer

crossroads

Post by Doug Palmer »

Yes Pete, I did play at the Crossroads with Gene and Mark. Had some great times there. I jammed with Roy Buchannan there. Danny Gatton was playing at the Back Alley lounge behind us. That is where I first met Jim Unger. Loved those Blue Crabs too! The DC area sure had alot of great players.Did you ever go to Hunters Lodge in Fairfax? Still playing steel, teaching and repairing. Thanks for the memories.

Doug
336-674-8200
Emmons D-10, ST-10,LD-10 III, NV-112,Fender Deluxe Reverb. Authorized wholesale dealer musicorp.com!
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Yep Doug, used to go to Hunters Lodge when I could; sometimes on a rare weekend off to see Mr Charleton tear it up with the Stringdusters (with Sid Hudson on guitar) and for a while we were playing there Sunday nights with our band from the Crossroads. I also vaguely remember an all-nighter with Jim "Big Murph" Murphey when Paycheck played there one night; many details long forgotten and that's for the best I'm sure!

That's really cool that you got to play with Roy Buchanan at the Crossroads; I remember going to listen to him from outside in the parking lot when I was 17 and the drinking age was 21, no way was an underage "longhair" gonna get past that doorman; they didn't much like hippies! Just when I turned 18 they lowered the drinking age and within a year I was in the house-band, and that same doorman would sit in and sing with us every night... it's a funny world!

Some great times, and I'm glad we survived 'em...
Don Drummer

Buddy C

Post by Don Drummer »

In the mid eighties I played some at Earl Dixon's "Hillbilly Heaven", the "Cow Palace" also a downtown country bar the name which escapes me. At the suggestion of Diana Keene I had one lesson with Mr. Charlton when he was working ouy of the motorcycle shop. Wished I could of had more. This post brings back memories of that time. Being from w va I didn't have the opportunity to have regular contact with BC. Hey Boo I remember you when you played with Larry Seay. I appreciate the little "Bud's Therapy" impromptu lesson you showed me in the early eighties at the truck stop in Fort Measde befoer you left Larry to play with Claude Grey. As I remember you were anxiously waiting for your new LeGrande. Heard your Tom Cattin' on Chubby Howard's internet radio broadcast last year. Don D.
Al Miller

Larry Seay

Post by Al Miller »

Hey Don,
Well I can't say that i remember you or the lesson. for that i am sorry. but i sure remember those days at the truckstop in jessup. I think those days Caused me to have to grow up way before i was ready and i wish i had stayed with Buddy for a few more yrs . however i look back and think ya know i wouldnt trade those days for nothing. I was a (as Claude called me )A Squirrely steel player in those days.:) good to hear from you Don keep in touch.
Boo Miller
www.myspace.com/boomillersteelplayer
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

I remember a couple things. One was to wear your fingerpicks clamped tightly around your fingernails far enough out that you could not see flesh in the mid-pick holes looking palm toward face.
I see this in the posted video.
How in the world do you do this?
I've noticed that Steve Palousec (sp?) does this too.
His picks are clamped on to the very tips of the fingers.
Don Drummer

Post by Don Drummer »

Chris,over the years my finger pick placement has evolved to this "barely on the fingers" position. In the past I found I was constantly pushing them back on; a considerable distraction, but I prefered that way of using picks. Thamks to a post on this forum I found a way to keep them from slipping by emulsifying fiddle rosin with alchahol to create a "glue" that absolutely keeps them from slipping and falling off. Don D.
Kenny Radas

Buddy's Picks

Post by Kenny Radas »

Anyone have access to a picture or two of how Buddy recommends wearing your picks? He is one of my favorite players.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Well CHris. My disclaimer, but how I do it is use the older nationals, flat blades, and to begin with not bent but halfway out. The middle I tend to bend the meeting point down slightly so they pretty much bottom out at the cuticle. Then I make them tight enoug to grip firmly. The index for my particular fingertip size I cut through the hole in one of the ends of the band, shortening the circumference, and crimp them the same way except they don't quite touch the cuticle.

WHen I curl my fingers the blade ends rest flat on the ball of my thumb.

It does take a while to get comfortable, and there's no need for blood blisters.

The result is that they are no longer "finger covers" and are more an extention of the finger.

I find over the years that if clamped tightly enough, they don't slip unless I'm tired or REALLY nervous.

Fresh pitch from a tree works good, and duper glue even better, but take them off and on a couple times or you'll tear skin off. I think I also used spray "nu-skin" with good results too.

YMMV of course./

:)

EJL
Dennis Love

Post by Dennis Love »

I used to drive up to Orange, VA for lessons when I was in college. I never could have imagined how friendly and inviting such a great player could be. I'll never forget how excited he would get when (after numerous attempts) I would get a move right. A big smile and a "THAT'S IT" would make me feel like I could really play this thing. I guess a good teacher is someone who takes pride in his pupils success, and that is Buddy to a T. He could not have been a nicer guy, and while I can't play half of it, he showed me all that is possible with the steel guitar. Most of the practice I do to this day is in hopes that I might make it back up to Billy Coopers and the off chance I might make Buddy proud.

One funny story he told me was when he was playing a club before he joined Ernest Tubb, and while he was playing an Emmons tune, Emmons himself came in and stood right in front of Charleton trying to intimidate him. BC said that that wasn't his first rodeo, and he pulled off the tune pretty well. When Emmons left ET, he recommended BC for the job, and I guess the rest is history.

Great teacher, player, and guy. Thanks Buddy,
Dennis
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

I just wanted to say that Kay Lee was as much part of the "Buddy Charlton Lesson Plan" as Buddy. They worked together to make it all happen and to help folks as us grow from a little to alot. They are both admirable folks and highly respected in the Steel Guitar Community.
Danny Crelin

Post by Danny Crelin »

I was fortunate enough to get to study with Bud on and off for a year or so in 2002... My lessons were supposed to be an hour and a half and usually ran over two hours.. I still have a butt-load of lesson tapes that are going on to cd. When I told Bud that I was thinking of moving to Texas, he insisted that I go... And I have him to thank for building my confidence, and letting me know that it would work out for me.

It did......

(Now I get to play Detamore licks....)
SWEET!!

Peace.
Pedal Steel Dude at:
http://www.coodergraw.com

RAINS D-10-Quilter Steelaire-Quilter 15" Cabinets-Hilton Pedal-Steeler's Choice-BJS
Paul E Vendemmia

Post by Paul E Vendemmia »

ME TOO!!!
two years of lessons boy did he help me.
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

(Now I get to play Detamore licks....)
SWEET!!
Sour is more like it... :lol: But many of them are just mediocre adaptations of what Buddy showed me years ago....

So are you back with Jason DC? Cool!
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Danny Crelin

Post by Danny Crelin »

Yes I am Tommy.... Great licks on "The Twilight Zone!"

Those songs are pretty damn good and fun to play!

D
Pedal Steel Dude at:
http://www.coodergraw.com

RAINS D-10-Quilter Steelaire-Quilter 15" Cabinets-Hilton Pedal-Steeler's Choice-BJS
Brian LeBlanc

He ever tell anyone...

Post by Brian LeBlanc »

once after strugglin thru a part for the umpteenth time, Buddy sat back, gave me a long, perplexed look, and said...

"you get kind of high when you play, don't ya"

!

think it was Oxon Hill Music or that place in Waldorf...
'Frenchy' LeBlanc...
ShoBud & Twins
Kenny Radas

Need Some Pics???

Post by Kenny Radas »

Any former students have any pics of how Buddy recommends fitting and bending the picks? Either shots of his hands or yours would be great. Thanks.
Jeremiah Hanley

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

Back in the 60's I lived in western Kansas and Buddy lived on top of my record player. He had a lot of patience with me and with the help of my dear wife putting the arm of the record player on the run that I wanted to learn, I finally made my way through "Waltz Across Texas" and "Half a Mind". I had the privilege of meeting Buddy in Wichita, Kansas one cold evening. I watched him very closely as he set his Emmons up to play that night. After being underneath that bus for many cold hours, he squirted lighter fluid on his guitar and lit it with his cigarette lighter. In my imagination I can hear myself sounding like him! My, what a guy!!
Jerry and Venda
Mike Auldridge

Buddy Charleton

Post by Mike Auldridge »

Hey Pete... great idea to hear from some of Buddy's students over the years. I took lessons from him at the Oxon Hill music store for one summer in the mid-1970's. Some of the other guys going there at that time were Bruce Bouton, Tommy Hannum, and of course, you. A couple of things stand out in my memory of those days with Buddy... his friendly but stern approach to the right hand technique (with that elbow to your ribs and the impossible curve of the wrist), and his sincere delight when I did something right.

I'll never forget him telling me how impressed he was that I learned to play "Almost to Tulsa" on my eight string dobro... that gave me great confidence. He had a way of convincing me that I could actually learn to play the pedal steel someday, which at that time was as foreign to me as learning to fly a helicopter.

In addition to being one of the true giants in the world of pedal steel, Buddy is a wonderful and kind man, and I will always cherish the days when I was one of his students.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Is buddy still teaching over there in Virginia? Whats the going rate these days for something like that, and how many hours would one get if he had a 3 day drive?
A.K.A Chappy.
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Larry, as you know, Buddy has taught many folks who've made a successful career playing steel. What ever his current rates are is relative to what you feel is beneficial to your steel guitar advancement. His phone number is listed in Locust Grove, Va. Call him and book as many hours as you can handle.
Mike Schwartzman

Post by Mike Schwartzman »

Larry...I just saw Buddy for a lesson Friday before last. My buddy Joe and I booked a double lesson (1 for each of us) through Wanda Cooper at Billy Coopers Steel Guitar store. I'll tell you... for that time spent, I would have paid 3 times as much. The lessons alone were most helpful for us newcomers (I'm 2 years into playing psg) and the stories that Buddy told us were priceless. Buddy spent more time with us than was alloted and the hourly rates were way more than reasonable. I look forward to going back again.

Of course we had a 1 hour and 45 minute drive, and not 3 days. If you go to links section of the forum and click on Billy Coopers in the dealer section you can call or email there for the lowdown on scheduling and prices. Billy and Wanda have always emailed me back the same day.
Emmons Push Pull, BMI, Session 400, Home of the Slimcaster Tele.
Jim Peter

Pick Pictures

Post by Jim Peter »

Kenny,

I was fortunate enough to take a couple of lessons from Buddy a few years back and had a great time. Not only did Buddy show me how to shape my picks he also gave me a set of his to keep. Here are some pictures of those picks which I hope answers your questions.

Jim

John Davis

Post by John Davis »

I was lucky enough to get two hours with Buddy..... long way to go from Cambridge UK but it was the highlight of my USA visit. I sure would like some more of that!!:)
John Troutman

Post by John Troutman »

I was fortunate to receive a lesson from Buddy out at his place in Virginia about ten years ago. What a generous soul. I was scheduled for an hour visit and ended up staying for about four. He actually told me that he felt I was a 'natural' player! I had only been fooling around with the steel for a couple of years when he told me that. Talk about an incentive to keep at it! That one visit continues to repay me as I reflect on his advice and kind spirit, and especially his encouragement. Buddy, you and KayLee are in my thoughts as y'all work through this tough time.

John