Emmons L II

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy McCombs

Emmons L II

Post by Billy McCombs »

Guys, I played my new to me Emmons LII, 1998, out tonight, and all I can say Wooow! I cant beleave the tone and how it cut thru, so smooth. These are truly great Guitars. This is a keeper for sure. :D Billy
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Billy,
Thats my brand. I've been playing Emmons Guitars for over 20 years.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

I agree. I just got a new LG II D-10. Emmons is STILL making great guitars. My friend Billy Knowles is an Emmons dealer and I believe has a new one coming in if anyone is shopping.
Hook
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I have a '98 LeGrande II, my road guitar. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Dropped off the back of the equipment truck once, busted a corner of the
case. Pretty much still in tune when I set it up.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

:)
Austin Tripp

Post by Austin Tripp »

Just a dumb question,,,, what is the difference between a Legrande ( not SKH ) and a Legrande II? Just wondering.
"Hotrod"
Steel guitarist for Cody Jinks
Member CMA
David Mullis

Post by David Mullis »

Probably the biggest difference (that I know of) would be the 16 hole bellcranks on the Legrande II as opposed to the 4 hole bellcranks on previous models.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Austin, the first all pull Emmons was the LeGrande and it had 4 hole bellcranks and used a pushpull type swivel in the larger bellcrank holes. It later became referred to as the SKH because of the shorter body which took a shortened keyhead. Then the LeGrande II came out with 14 hole bellcranks and that was the LeGrande II. However, the factory has a large supply of LeGrande decals so they continued to use the LeGrande decals on the LeGrande II until they ran out of them or at least down to a short supply. There is no difference in the 14 hole bellcrank guitar with the LeGrande decal and the LeGrande II. The LeGrande III is no different that the LeGrande II other than having one or in some cases two antidetuner devices. If I have skipped a model in between I was not aware of it.
Jerry
Austin Tripp

Post by Austin Tripp »

Thanks Mr. Roller. I didnt think there was much difference between the two. But turns out there is no difference lol. Thanks again!
"Hotrod"
Steel guitarist for Cody Jinks
Member CMA
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

1. The "LeGrande" short three piece extruded keyhead, changer mount with dividers between each finger, bridge radius of 7/8", 4 hole bellcranks, body 1/2 inch shorter than push-pull.
2. "Lashley LeGrande" originally had just a LeGrande decal, body 1" longer than SKH LeGrande, full size one piece cast keyhead, no dividers between fingers except for spacer, bridge radius 3/4", 4 hole bellcrank.
3. "Lashley LGrande II" all features of "Lashley LeGrande" with the change to 14 hole bellcrank, re-positioned changer to make fingers more upright (when radius was changed it caused the finger mechanism to be slightly out of line), pedal stop bar was moved to change the pivot on the crossbar to have a better mechanical advantage, assembly processes changed for smoother and easier movement of fingers and crossbars.
4. "III" was the addition of the counterforce, no other features or processes changed.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

There were several changes, mostly to assembly techniques, between the Lashley I and II. It is a misconception that only the bellcrank changed. We did very little to advertise the exact changes but the guitar spoke for itself. It was by far, a better playing guitar. Most of these changes were implemented by me, with the exception of the bellcrank. None of the changes that took place with the LeGrande guitars would have happened without the urging and advice from Hal Rugg. Hal wanted the cast keyhead, the 14 hole bellcrank, the changer re-alignment, and a cure for the cabinet drop. Not to say that others were not influential, but Hals relentless pleading for Ron to make improvements is what prompted these changes.
Hugh Jackson

LeGrande ll

Post by Hugh Jackson »

Jack Strayhorn is the real deal jack built both of my LeGrande ll guitars good to see you on the forum
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

After the Lashley LeGrande model was introduced we continued to build SKH models with the changer modification upon request until the stock of short heads were depleted.
Randy Gilliam

Last Year Built

Post by Randy Gilliam »

Jack do you know how many SKH Guitars Were Built and The Last Year they Were Made? Thanks Randy G. :?:
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Nice to hear from the man who was there. Thanks for posting Mr Strayhorn.
I'm wondering why was the original SKH changer with dividers discontinued?...Jerry
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

I started a reply on this last night, and was about finished when my Schnauzer, Kelsea, rolled her big ball on the power strip and shut my whole system off. So, I'll try it again....with the exception of about 6 other guitars, a Rains, two MSA Classics, two Sho-Buds (a Professional & Super-Pro) and one MCI, I've been an Emmons player...and my current guitar, an '08 LeGrande II is an incredible guitar, and the best of all with the exception of my '85 SKH. I wish I still had it......I'll always regret trading..........HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

I would guess there to be around 400 SKH guitars. They were discontinued after the Lashley model came out with exception to a few custom orders. The orders for SKH at that time would have had the modified bridge. The changer mount with dividers was discontinued because too most, the changer without the dividers is more push-pull like in tone. The 7/8" radius pivoting bridge members were no longer produced, however in 99' when I left we still had quite a few of the ribbed mounts left. Those style mounts were much more trouble to produce and made it more time consuming to assemble.
Ivan Posa

Skh

Post by Ivan Posa »

Jack, correct me if I am mistaken, but I recall reading Buddy saying that the prototype SKH model that Ron Snr built was the best sounding Emmons guitar he had ever played, but Ron made changes to the original design to better suit production and cost factors and the production guitars lost that magic to some extent.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Ivan,
I've heard this story mentioned but I am unaware of the details. Ron never told me about any other design other than what was manufactured. I don't know what could have been changed that would have had that kind of affect on the tone. If such a guitar exist I would like to see it.
Ivan Posa

Post by Ivan Posa »

Jack, I have just bought a custom built 1999 Laquer LG111 SKH D-10 8x5 and have it at a friends place in Dallas and will pick it up in March when I travel to the Dallas steel show. Should be a nice axe.
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I am a proud owner of a 1977 Emmons,It is truly a great guitar. And the sound of it is even better since I got the Black Box. The tone just blows me away. I am amazed of the sound quality and the infamous Emmons "growl". I told my wife, Roxanne. I would like to get another one. Preferably a newer one, maybe a Legrande. I have heard so much about them. But if I do, it'll have to be a pre-owned model. I have heard of the horror stories that some of the Forumites have had in the buying process. Don't get me wrong. Emmons makes a fine,mighty fine instrument.My guitar is a push pull. And for the tone, one can't find a better guitar.
Tommy Shown
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I am a proud owner of a 1977 Emmons,It is truly a great guitar. And the sound of it is even better since I got the Black Box. The tone just blows me away. I am amazed of the sound quality and the infamous Emmons "growl". I told my wife, Roxanne. I would like to get another one. Preferably a newer one, maybe a Legrande. I have heard so much about them. But if I do, it'll have to be a pre-owned model. I have heard of the horror stories that some of the Forumites have had in the buying process. Don't get me wrong. Emmons makes a fine,mighty fine instrument.My guitar is a push pull. And for the tone, one can't find a better guitar.
Tommy Shown
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

and..........so....?......what are you trying to say?
Billy McCombs

Post by Billy McCombs »

Chris, I think hes saying that he Loves his Emmons. And now that I have a LII, I think I might like to own a PP, But thats another Post :D
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Billy, I just bought a 98 Lashley Legrand II also. This is my third Emmons. This guitar sounds great, but the 1980 Emmons SKH I had, was the best soundin of the three Emmons I've had. Bobbe did have two SKHs for sale on his website, and they were priced just right to. I think one was around $2800. can't remember what the other one was.

terry