Girl With the Flaxen Hair MP3 Please give a listen!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Hatcher

Girl With the Flaxen Hair MP3 Please give a listen!

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I picked a classic tune this go around for the extended 12 string Leavitt tuning. The song is "Girl With the Flaxen Hair" by the French composer Claude Debussy. I like the beautiful melody and the chords in this song. I went online and found an arrangement for violin and piano and tried my best to get as much of it as I could. As it is with any adaptation of a classical piece, you have to make a few changes here and there for your particular instrument, and since this is not a song you hear on the non pedal steel guitar very much, I was able to pretty much do what I wanted! 8-)

This is something that I really wanted to try....a serious classical piece for the non pedal. Please let me know what your thoughts are.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zlto4k3zjje
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

I'd tell you what my thoughts are, but I'm speechless! You are truly exploring new ground here Bill! This was a piece my mom use to play for me on piano. I became sorta familiar with it as a little kid and requested it often. Thanks for the lift!

I think Claude would be knocked out with his piece played on such a gorgeous instrument!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

A beautiful, haunting sound, Bill! very nice, indeed. you're getting a lot of music from that 12 string Leavitt tuning!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Gorgeous rendition, Bill. For guitar, Johnny Smith's version is definitive, even compared to Segovia's classic recording but my all-time favorite version by the by the late Italian virtuoso, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 23 Oct 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Beautiful, Bill. Really remarkable.
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

Groundbreaking sound for the steel guitar Bill.
Congratulations!

Roy
Custom Tabs Various Tunings
Courses Lap Steel, Pedal Steel
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Bill, I'm wondering if you've had the chance to hear Swedish guitarist Anders Miolin. He plays 10 and 13 string guitar and has done CDs of arrangements of Ravel, Debussy, Satie and more. I bought some CDs of his about 10 years ago.
Check out some of his mp3 samples here:

http://www.miolin.com/download.html

http://www.miolin.com
Jan Jonsson

Post by Jan Jonsson »

Wow Bill!

That's wonderful playing. Your version is up there together with Mike Perlowin's version on his Firebird Suite CD.

-- Jan
CDs: Waltz for Elma (2015), Steel Reflections (2009)
Gear: 10-string Desert Rose "Delta Blues", Fender Deluxe 8, Fender CS Nocaster
Transcriptions of Lloyd Green's music: www.lloydgreentribute.com (Tablature menu)
Therman Jones

Post by Therman Jones »

Great job, as usual, Bill. You have inspired me to get my steel out of the case and start playing again.

Therman
Customized 8 string Artisan lap steel....it will have to do until I hit the lottery...