Steel Guitarist Magazine

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Chapel

Steel Guitarist Magazine

Post by Michael Chapel »

I am new to the forum, Hello Y'all. I have been lurking for a while but finally joined on Monday. I decided to pay the $20 and get the 6 Steel Guitarist magazines rather than just pay $5 to join. I went home for lunch today and they were there just 38 hours later. I didn't realize that they were going to be vintage like that, but I was so psyched to open the package and see Buddy Emmons looking young as heck in 1979 rocking the countryfied afro. I can't believe you could get 1 vintage magazine like this for $20 much less all 6 and a forum membership. I didn't get a chance to check out the mags on my short lunch break and when I get home I don't know wether to read them or put them in a frame and hang them on the wall like an old record sleve. Anyway I am glad to be here, you all have helped me a lot already just by reading the forum before selecting my gear for my foray into PSG. I think the vintage mags, the forum in general, and the little PSG community you have got going here are all really COOL! PSG will be my 5th instrument but for sure the first one that made me feel like I'm joining a club. Thanks!
Steve Benson

Post by Steve Benson »

SGF is THE place. This has been said before, welcome to THE BEST spot on the web. The members US and outside of the US are some the most talented and helpful humans on earth. There are no stars...only steel players. The steel guitar mags are manna from heaven.
Carter-Magnum S10. Georgeboards S-8 Stealth. Chandler Lap. Peavey Powerslide. Bunch of mandolins. Sitar. Oud. All that and a bag of chips.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Michael Chapel wrote:I am new to the forum, Hello Y'all. I have been lurking for a while but finally joined on Monday. I decided to pay the $20 and get the 6 Steel Guitarist magazines rather than just pay $5 to join. I went home for lunch today and they were there just 38 hours later. I didn't realize that they were going to be vintage like that, but I was so psyched to open the package and see Buddy Emmons looking young as heck in 1979 rocking the countryfied afro. I can't believe you could get 1 vintage magazine like this for $20 much less all 6 and a forum membership.
Shoot, I can't believe there are any left! What a treasure these old mags are. You can do what I did Michael. I bought all of them years ago as a subscriber, then ordered a complete other set recently to save in mint condition. In your case, you could frame them if you want.

Still much relevant information contained in them.

Welcome to the forum and the steel guitar. Best of luck with your experience.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Yes indeed, welcome to a great forum and the most interesting instrument in the world. Don't miss out on the search function, when looking for specific information. A lot of great minds have left a lot here to mine over the years.
Those Steel guitarist magazines are really great. I only wish there many more than 6!
Donna Sherrard Williams

Post by Donna Sherrard Williams »

Jerry do you think I could get some of those vintage magazines for Dad? i think he would get a kick out of them since even back in the '60's he and Duane Marrs were "tinkering" and building "Sho-Boogs" lol (with the help of Shot Jackson getting the parts he needed), out in a shed behind our house....Thanks :)
Jerry Overstreet

Donna, I'll see what I can do on the magazines. Sorry, I've been really busy lately. I'll try to do better and get over to see your Dad real soon.
Donna Sherrard Williams

Post by Donna Sherrard Williams »

thanks Jerry... and dad would really enjoy a visit :)
b0b

Only $20 Dollar$ For All Six!

Post by b0b »

Don Drummer

steel guitarist mag

Post by Don Drummer »

Great reading and info. One of the most perplexing statements found in the Paul Franklin issue about amp settings was something to the effect that he turns the bass setting off. :? Don D.
John Bresler

Post by John Bresler »

I have always enjoyed every copy of these great magazines published by the great Tom Bradshaw. Outstanding value for only $20.00.

Lots of great articles about steel guitarist, equipment, and ways to play.

I always enjoyed the Jeff Newman, Herby Wallace, Winnie Winston articles. Just too bad there wasn't enough support to keep them going.

8)
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

I just got mine in the mail today !

THanks, b0b !
Jim Sallis

Post by Jim Sallis »

It's good to see all the fine comments about Steel Guitarist. I wrote quite a lot for the magazine back in the day, enjoying every moment of it. Tom did an outstanding job, provided a great journal, and I'm pleased that his efforts remain -- or are once again -- appreciated.
Ariel Lobos

Post by Ariel Lobos »

PERFECT PICTURE OF THOSE DAYS...IF YOU PUT IT TOGETHER AND ADD A HARD COVER SIMPLY NAME IT THE STEEL GUITAR BIBLE !
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

I loved Steel Guitarist magazine and I had an amusing experience with the magazine one time.

I used to get Steel Guitarist magazine when they first came out and nearly fell over when I was on a phone call with Maurice Anderson and he mentioned that I was in one of them (I think it was the issue with Tom Brumley on the front cover). I'd looked at the magazine a lot and never saw it, but while I was talking to Reece on the phone he said to look on Page 34 (if I remember the page number correctly), so I flipped to it and there I was in my Air Force dress blues in an article that was covering the International Steel Guitar Convention! :eek: Funniest part is that I'd read all the way through the magazine and had never seen that photo until Reece mentioned it while we were on the phone. :oops: :lol: I do remember someone asking me a few questions and taking my photo at the convention, but until I saw the article, I didn't think much about it. Then I realized suddenly that my conversation with the guy who'd taken my picture was actually a small interview! :)
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Still much relevant information contained in them.
Indeed.
I just set up my Emmons with a 2nd string half stop per Winnie Winston's article in issue #3 (Sept.1979)

Timeless? You bet.
Jerry Overstreet

Me too Stan. I used that very article to do the same thing around 1982,3 I think. I find myself still referring back to the magazines from time to time for all kinds of information.

I learned a lot about how to do my own changes, additions and maintenance from Winnie's articles.

Buddy's "C6 pockets" instruction pages and many, many other bits of information that have no time limit.

There was no internet then, so this information was essential and so welcomed by many players. A shame that more people didn't subscribe and keep the magazine afloat. I felt like we let Tom and the magazine down as a community.

I would encourage anyone who doesn't have them, to order the set from the forum. A bargain at twice the price.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

One of the best mags ever publised. Learned alot from them. Jody.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

We gave those away free with orders two years ago. Nobody would buy them from me at any price.
I guess the more you charge the more they are worth.

Bobbe :lol:
b0b

Post by b0b »

Orders are up, now that Bobbe has stopped giving them away! :lol:
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I'm sure this is true,,,, guess I'll never learn. :whoa:
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

BobbeSeymour wrote: I guess the more you charge the more they are worth.
I'd think you'd have already know that, considering you've owned more than a few Emmons P/P's... :lol:
Thomas Bohlen

Post by Thomas Bohlen »

Steel guitar mag was my lifeline over the summer when I was in and out of hospitals. I had suddenly lost all the hearing in my right ear, developed vertigo and intense tinnitus. For a while I thought my days of loving music was over, but I read so much SGM that it kept me going while I couldn't practice or even listen. Thanks for keepin those around! nothin quite like it anymore.
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

Just got mine today. Wow, that was fast. Too bad I have a gig tonight. I just wanna stay home and read!! Thanks so much, bOb.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

The problem with the magazine is it leaves you wanting more, and you know it's never going to be published again. :cry:

I suggested years ago that someone take it on again, and it was discussed on this Forum: the general opinion being that it went out of publication because it didn't repay its costs, and its costs would be even higher now. A real shame, but you know, this Forum is the best substitute for the magazine. The only thing missing is interviews with musicians and reviews of equipment. There's no reason why someone couldn't put that sort of information on the Forum.

http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/

By the way, one magazine on the steel guitar IS still being published, and that's Forum member Basil Henriques' quarterly publication Aloha Dream, which specializes in the Hawaiian Steel Guitar. Check out the link above.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

It's a shame we don't have a mag like this anymore.I'm lucky to have all of these plus all the ones Russ put out. His was a great mag to.It seems he tried hard to keep it going,There were a lot of people that would bitch and grip when he would increase the price,guess they could'nt understand with a small circulation compared to Guitar Player mag with one hundred and forty five thousand subscribers he could'nt keep the price down,I would have been willing to pay ten dollars an issue to have kept it going. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !