Break a third string.......OK But break a 10th string?????

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Mattison

Break a third string.......OK But break a 10th string?????

Post by Jack Mattison »

I know many of you talk about always, or sometimes breaking the third string. I haven,t had that problem, however...... This last Sunday I was playing my D10 ShoBud with the "Praise and Worship" team at church. All of a sudden there was a loud bang, and I looked and my 10th string had snaped. It didn't throw my tunning off, so I kept on playing. So whats up with that???? 10th string!!!!. :eek:
Little Round Mound of Sound. D-10 8/5 ShoBud "The Professional" Pevey NV400.
Dan Galysh

Post by Dan Galysh »

A couple of shows back, I had the 10th string unravel on me during the first song and it got in the way of my solo. That hasn't happened to me in a decade or so, but it does happen once in awhile.
Jerry Overstreet

me too

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

......had it happen a few times also.
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

I assume you're talking E9. With the A pedal raising a whole, used to happen to me a lot. Until I started using Jagwires from good ole b0b. String breakage just doesn't happen anymore on any strings.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Dick Sexton

10th String Breakage...

Post by Dick Sexton »

I've been lucky, never broken one on the job. Can't say as much for the 3rd string... If it hasn't been to long since I've changed a set of strings and I have an important gig, where breaking a string might be an embarrassment and/or inconvenience, I at least change the 3rd, 5th, 6th and 10th. Maybe even the 4th, for good measure. Never broken any other string between regular changes. If you practice on the same guitar you gig(I don't), change those out and be safe. Oh, and occasionally a new string will break, a fact of life playing stringed instruments. Just my opinion of course...
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

About a month ago I broke the tenth string on my C-6th neck, the low C!!! I wasn't even playing that neck at the time, and I don't play all that much C-6th. Plus the string was only about six months old, which is not old by my standards for that neck. It made no sense, but it happened.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I use to break the 10th string now and then when I used Ernie Ball strings, many years ago. I've never broken a wound Jagwire string. Never.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Larry Sewell

Post by Larry Sewell »

Jack
I've broken 10th strings on a single neck E-9, on SD10, and even a 10th string on my D10. I would venture to guess they where all from poor right hand technics ( putting too much wrist pressure on the strings)
As Bob says, "try jagwires" I've used them in recent years, and haven't broke a string.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I break a 10th occasionally. I lower to A and raise to D, so that's asking a lot of a wound string. 038's just won't take it, so I use a 036.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I have never actually broke a 10th string, but I have had them unravel. I don't leave a 10th string on more than 3 weeks. Sometime I think it is "over kill", but there is nothing worse than breaking or having a string unravel on a job. Or a knee lever falling off, LOL. I use Frenchy's Silent Series strings in nickel. Best and longer lasting than any strings I have ever used. Jody.
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

I've broken more 10th strings on my Emmons than I have 3rd.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I've broken two. Both off-brand strings. I learned to change my strings more often and use better strings (Jagwires, like everyone else here)
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Like Jody, I've had them unravel before. That was way back when I was using Ernie Ball strings. I don't believe I've ever had one break completely, though.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Maybe not all that common but the pull still stresses the string.You never said how old the string was. I have broken a few over the years and it is hard to say why other than the string gave out after a whole bunch of A Pedal mashes.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I've broken enough 10th strings on my E9 neck to convince me to carry extra ones around. As well as having a number of spare sets of strings at all times, I also keep an extra 6-pack of 3rds, 5ths and .038" 10ths.

I believe (in my case, at least) that the heel of my right hand is constantly rubbing that string where it runs over the changer. Either it's the constant wear, or it may be that an undue amount of perspiration is being deposited on the string. Wahtever it is, it's always at the changer-end that it breaks.

I never had a C6th 10th break on me, though.... :whoa:
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've had one E9th 10th string break in 28 years on my Franklin. It was my own fault as the strings were old and should have been replaced. It was just "metal fatigue" that will happen with "old" strings.
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

I break more 10th strings on my MSA than I do 3rds. They always seem to un-ravel. I always carry spares of all gauges I use plus a few extra sets.
Les Green
73 MSA D10 8&4, 74 MSA S10 3&5, Legrande II 8&9, Fender Squier 6 string, Genesis III, Peavey 1000
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

I've only broken a few 10th strings over the years (maybe two or three), and definitely my share of 3rd strings ... I've even broken a couple of 4th and 5th strings before ... but the one that really surprised me was breaking my 6th string (.22P) one time. What made that one the worst was that it whipped back when it broke and stuck in my right ring finger knuckle! OUCH! :whoa:
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Jack Mattison

10th string

Post by Jack Mattison »

WOW...... Didn't know that many of you had this same problem, at one time or another. Thank you for all the replys. I have been using SIT Sho-E9th strings. 10th [.036]. I am going to try the jagwire, as recomended by alot of you. I think I will try the "Ricky Davis" set, since he recomends them for shobuds. It was getting time to change anyway, which may have been part of my problem. Once again guys....... Thanks for the help. Can always depend on all of you on this forum for help when needed. Bless ya all..... Jack<><
Little Round Mound of Sound. D-10 8/5 ShoBud "The Professional" Pevey NV400.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

all strings are like cars...old or new...they can break whenever they feel like it...no guarantees!
Michael Haselman

Post by Michael Haselman »

Don't know why, maybe it has to do with playing a Mullen, but since I switched to Jagwires a number of years ago I don't break ANY strings anymore. I only change about once every 3 months.
Mullen RP D10, Peavey NV112, Hilton volume. Hound Dog reso. Piles of other stuff.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I break a 10th string every once in a while.
But I have an old pedal steel that hasn't been playing in about 5 years and, in that whole time, it has never broken a string! :roll:
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

steels that aren't played break fewer strings than steels that are played. you can quote me on this!
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

It has happenend to me before too,Jack. I was playing here at the house one day.And the dang broke. It's just one of life's minor inconviences. I have broken a third string many times, here at home practicing and performing. That can be quite embarassing. I was backing up a guy singing Leroy Parnells' song "On the Road", one night. Putting in some killer fills when all of sudden I heard a POP! I looked down and saw it was my third string.The string part of a group of strings that I used in the song to get the same effect the picker had on the record. So what did I do I had to improvise until break to put another one on.Jerry Brightman suggests on the day of the show while at home, to go ahead and change the 3rd out. This will save alot of embarrassment. And the string will have time to stretch.
Tommy
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I don't think it is a "problem". I don't see breaking strings now and then as a problem at all unless they are breaking( new strings) on a very regular basis.

I think we should look at the physics of it all and understand that we are pulling a tight string tighter.

Also what comes into play is not just the age of the string or how long it has been on the guitar, but how many times has it been pulled ?How much practice, how many gigs ? How much repitition ?

Cars have odometers to keep track of use, we have maybe an idea at best and probably a bad string to boot.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website