Gig Survival Kit

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Joe,I think your on to something lately every place I play is dark onstage,I'm always fumbling for a small flash light.It would be great to open up my steel set and a light comes on like a refrigerator. ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

I'm with you Jody, only I use a 38 special short barrel. Larry
U12 Williams keyless 400
Vegas 400, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Same here Larry :)
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

I like my friend, the government parkerized 45acp, with wadcutters. If your going to get into it, someone is going down with me. If you happen to use it, a spare barrel, is always good too. Can change it in less than a minute, and the lands, and grooves, will be different, when the spent bullet is under a microscope.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I had clips to hold my RedHawk under the lid of my pakaseat. Only carried to a couple of places though. The Bridge Tavern in Collinwood, Wright's Ballroom outside Akron. Those were the only two "dodgey" places.
Barry Hyman

Post by Barry Hyman »

Boy, you gun-toting pedal steel guitarists sure make me aware of all the sadness out there in the world. Up here in the north woods bears and moose are more numerous per square mile than pedal steel guitarists or thieves (fact as well as humor), and I never lock my car and don't even know how to lock my house. No gun in my survival kit. But if someone tried to steal my steel don't worry -- I would tear him to shreds with my non-violent vegetarian peacenik teeth and fingernails!
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

GIN
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Ben Jones

Post by Ben Jones »

I skip the pack a seat. they are too heavy and too expensive. I use a $30 folding keyboard seat to sit on and a $3 thrift store suitacse to haul my pedalboard cables and everything else.

One of my most important gig items is my "cheat sheet". It might be the setlist with keys and chord changes written next to the songs, or index cards placed between the strings in the keyhead with the same info.

I leave the weapons and booze at home. I aint gonna be shooting anyone so no point bringing a gun and they got enough booze at the places I play.

be nice to the soundguy, introduce yourself, and say thanks in advance for making us sound good, and then say it again after the show.
Bernie Straub

Post by Bernie Straub »

I always have a few bar towels with me...it is hot and humid where I live. Great to wipe down the strings, too.
Tony Kotula

Gig Survival Kit

Post by Tony Kotula »

ALL OF THE ABOVE, YOU WILL FIND NECESSARY AS YOU GO ALONG. IT DOES'NT HURT TO HAVE 2 OF EVERYTHING. VOL.PEDAL STRINGS CAN BREAK. IF YOUR HANDY ENUFF AND CAN FOLLOW AN EASY PATTERN LIKE POSTED ON "SCOTTY'S MUSIC" WEBSITE. THERE'S A DIAGRAM THERE FROM GOODRICH ON HOW TO RESTRING YOUR VOLUME PEDAL. THAT IS OF COURSE YOU'RE USING ONE WITH A REG. POT IN IT. FOR EXTRA STRING, I CARRY A PKG. OF SNARE DRUM STRINGS. GET 'EM AT ANY DECENT MUSIC STORE. GUITAR CTR'S HAVE IT. THEY'RE STRONG AND THE CUT TO THE RIGHT LENGTH. ALSO.. GET YOURSELF A SOLDER KIT. BATTERY OPERATED WORK FINE. YOU'LL FIND THAT OVER THE YEARS WHAT YOU'LL NEED. ENJOY... THAT IDEA ABOUT THE LIGHT INSIDE THE SEAT LIKE REFRIDGERATOR IS RIGHT ON. MAYBE A COOLING UNIT TOO FOR THE VINO, WHISKEY AND BEER.
I AM FROM MOTOWN. AND THEY'RE RIGHT ABOUT PACKIN A LITTLE EXTRA TOO...
Tommy Bannister

Post by Tommy Bannister »

how about a good strong roadie or friend just to carry all your gear also to protect you, just a thought!
GOT EVERYTHING a steelplayer needs except movement owing to a bad stroke
paralizing my compleat left side

may god grant me return of it all!!
williams d10 9/8 burnt orange box,bobro,itone,rowland space echo,goodridge ldr 120 VP,any bars,quad reverb,sonar 8.5 vegus 10,soundforge, plus foxtex 24/24,maki 16 trk desk,could go on forever,two Nashville 112's pevey 500 session, steel guitar black box,LDR 120 VP

brand new WILLIAMS D10 9,8 NOT PLAYED OWING TO MY STROKE,WHAT A BUMMER!!!
Adam Sorber

Post by Adam Sorber »

I carry a spare key for my truck in my pack-a-seat in case I lose my keys!
Adam Sorber
Sho Bud PROII custom D-10
Sho Bud PROII custom SD-10
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Things that come to mind other than strings, picks, bars, cables, pedals, batteries:

A forklift for my D-10 and Vibrosonic. Clothes pins to hold music and set list from blowing off music stand when HVAC kicks on (happened last week to me, used a Snark tuner to hold it down!). Cloths pins this week :) Headband LED flashlight.
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Carl Mesrobian

Re: Gig bag

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

john widgren wrote:Hemostats

JW
For whaaaat ?? :lol:
--carl

Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

All you need is a sign on your steel reminding you.
"The Steel Guitar Forum is for people posting opinions, help and advice, not to be mistaken for something that people should actually take, try or apply."
If you ignore the sign you will need to rent storage space and a UHAUL truck.
Dylan Schorer

Post by Dylan Schorer »

I have spares for all the essentials in my pac-a-seat, but I also keep backup bag of critical items in the glove box of my car. This includes a bar, picks, strings, cables, amp tubes, tools, etc. Nothing worse than showing up for a gig and discovering that your bars or picks are MIA. There are many stories on this forum of people having play a show with batteries, flashlights, lighters, beer bottles, etc. in place of a bar.

A lost/forgotten/stolen bar is definitely the worst situation. You could painfully muddle through without picks or a volume pedal, or with a broken string, but without a bar, you’re dead in the water.
Dylan Schorer

Re: Gig Survival Kit

Post by Dylan Schorer »

Tony Kotula wrote:...VOL.PEDAL STRINGS CAN BREAK. IF YOUR HANDY ENUFF AND CAN FOLLOW AN EASY PATTERN LIKE POSTED ON "SCOTTY'S MUSIC" WEBSITE. THERE'S A DIAGRAM THERE FROM GOODRICH ON HOW TO RESTRING YOUR VOLUME PEDAL...
I envy you guys who can easily swap out a volume pedal string. I'm handy enough, but even staring at the diagram, I end up wrestling with the string forever. I break into a cold sweat any time I need to replace a pot just because of the thought of dealing with that stupid string.
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Anyone ever forget their guitar, or dare to admit it? I forgot my Tele, but it was a practice session.. :oops:
--carl

Tony Williamson

Post by Tony Williamson »

I've about run over my banjo and guitars before. Go to the back of the car to put them in and my kids make me go back to the house for something. Come back out and get in the drivers seat.I've actually had the car cranked fixing to back up with my instruments sitting in my driveway behind my car! !!
stelling banjos . shobud ldg and superpro/ martin hd28v weber mandolin, session 400, danelectro delay, korg d3200, bose L1 x2
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Based on your signature line list, that Martin HD28 would be a disaster - ouch! We ran over a bike pump the other day - our sons are teenagers. The child distraction thing just grows in magnitude. Your kids must be older :lol:
--carl

John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Carl Mesrobian wrote:Anyone ever forget their guitar, or dare to admit it? I forgot my Tele, but it was a practice session.. :oops:
Never forgot my guitar but last weekend I forgot the mics (all of them). Fortunately the place was close enough to my house that the bass player was able to drive over and get them before we started. Forgot speaker stands a few months back too. I have a feeling that similar events are likely to become more frequent as the years march on....oh well...
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

I carry an old rag for the steel......people are always asking :roll:
Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

I've had two occasions out of many gigs a year for 30 years whereby I needed and extra bar and picks.

I played a cruise on a ferry boat once and dropped my bar which proceed to roll to the edge of the boat and go overboard down to Davy Jones locker. Our roadie grabbed some chromed drum hardware and cut off a piece and stuffed with quarters to get me by.

One busy week I left my satchel containing picks and bar at the previous gig location. It was one of those many band jamborees and someone "helped" me pack up. Didn't notice till I got to the next gig many miles away - used the drum hardware and played bare fingered.

Call me an airhead but now I store an extra set of picks and bar in the pack-a-seat separately from the satchel.

Ditto on all the other stuff with the exception of the extra pedal. I'll repair it or play wihtout.
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Oh....forgot my Dobro once and it was the only instrument I was playing. Forgot I had taken it out of the trunk the night before. I was a very busy college kid at that point. Drove back 30mi to get it. Started a little late.

I ran over my Tele a few years back. I had left it in the middle of the garage between the two stalls. I assume one of my kids knocked it over into my stall. It was a bright day and opened the garage door with the automatic door opener remote. It was black dark in there. I drove up and felt a klunk. Luckily I only caught the corner of the case and broke it = guitar OK.

I've always been an airhead, and now I'm an older airhead.
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Larry Lorows wrote:I'm with you Jody, only I use a 38 special short barrel. Larry
I injure them with words :lol:
--carl