!!!!!!!!! Jazz Lovers Only!!!!!!!!!!!!

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

David Wright

!!!!!!!!! Jazz Lovers Only!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by David Wright »

Found this,1 young VERY talented guy...no steel, but never the less, WOW.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otbe5c2OIxI
Last edited by David Wright on 16 Oct 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Uh, that's just one guy, David.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Your right!1.. My bag.... still, lot of talent in just one guy! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Jimmie Misenheimer

Post by Jimmie Misenheimer »

MAN!! Makes me wish I was younger!!
Larry Lorows

Post by Larry Lorows »

This guy is super. My question is. How does he display all of that talent on stage at one time? Larry
U12 Williams keyless 400
Vegas 400, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Wow! These kids!!
Scott Shewbridge

Post by Scott Shewbridge »

That is an amazing video by a very talented person. It is also somewhat unsettling.

I wonder how he made it. It looks like each frame is a single take track with no edits. His skills are incredible. How many cuts on each track did he have to take to assemble the final?

Also, did he just cut the parts straight up in a one shot arrangement from his head, or did he evolve the piece over time? What I mean is, did he cut one track, then lay others on top, eventually cutting out earlier tracks to replace them with newer ones that expanded on new themes or solo lines from the newer tracks?

It is a fascinating creative process, but it also might be considered obsessive if it takes forever to put together. I can't help but think about Les Paul when I see this.

I also worry what these sorts of constructs mean for those of us who are less talented and not as dedicated to spending the time to make something so perfect. I'll never make something like that, certainly not live. If this is the new standard for music, should I just quit now? Are musical audiences expecting this when they come to a live performance?

I really resepect what this fellow has achieved and yet it does not reflect what I love about music. My own experience is more organic, less perfect and more interactive.

This is not a new concern. Steely Dan is touring and performing full albums this fall, including Aja. When released as albums, many said they could never perform those works live.

OK enough "unsettled" rambling. The video was very thought provoking for me. Thank you for sharing it.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Amazing ! Super talented musician.

Scott,
You have nothing to fear. The great fusion scare of the late 70's is over. They tried to sneak back in the 90's by opening for emo bands and calling themselves "math rock" bands. Even without the jazz beanies and silk shirts audiences didn't fall for it. Some of them are hiding among the bluegrass shredders these days but they are given away by the arbitrary use of the whole tone scale.
Bob
Danny Sneed

Post by Danny Sneed »

Hi David,
Hey man, really really thanks for bringing this guy to our attention;; now I'm really depressed. I just realized I really suck. Thanks again David. :roll:
Oh, and have a nice day!
Danny
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

Just looked at his website. More great videos there including with him also playing trumpet. Sheesh!
John P. Phillips

Post by John P. Phillips »

Well, at least the band dresses alike !!!
Just remember,
You don�t stop playing cause you get older,
You get older cause you stop playing ! http://www.myspace.com/johnpphillips
Scott Shewbridge

Post by Scott Shewbridge »

Bob,

No more beanies? Dang, I'm out of it again. ;-)

Hope I didn't come off like I didn't like the music itself; I love Chick Corea and fusion. I've been trying to get "You're Everything" down solo for a couple of months now (still struggling with the tempo on the original).

My rambling was meant more to ponder the intermingling of technology and human abilities and evolving expectations, not to question the style or musicianship. I like the music and I do feel emotion in what he plays, but I am still unnerved at his seeming perfect ability to remember what he did on three other tracks simultaneously for nearly five minutes. He has a form of genius that I can only ponder.

He is a monster and monsters can be scary. :alien: Cool scary.
William Steward

Post by William Steward »

David....just don't encourage him to take up steel guitar! I am kind of with Bob on the subject of fusion - allowing for some serious technique envy, at some point it starts to sound like typing to me. I love some of Chick's tunes tho.

Cheers, Wil