Linkon Steel Guitars

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Clint Jones

Linkon Steel Guitars

Post by Clint Jones »

I have an early Linkon D-10 pedal steel from approx. 1974. I have yet to find anyone thus far with any other Linkon Steels. Does anyine know of or actually own any early Linkon Steels? They were made in Canada.
Scott Howard

Post by Scott Howard »

http://www.mts.net/~linkon/ from the manufacturers links above. I just ordered some parts from them a few weeks ago.
"The Oddball" A MSA Keyless with pedals to the right.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

I haven't seen one of Wayne's newer guitars, but there are quite a few older ones floating around out there. Not surprising, as they always seemed to be very solidly built. Wayne has a design for a pedal lap steel that looks pretty neat.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Clint, yes, Linkon Steels are made in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada by Wayne Link. He also carries a wide choice of parts.
In fact there are at least 2 Linkon owners on the forum here if my memory serves me. Some are in Western Canada. You should be able to find them on a search.
If you want Wayne's phone #, email me. Wayne is not too internet savvy. A phone call is the best.
Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

Another guy to talk to about Linkon steels is Al Brisco. He's got a store called Steel Guitars of Canada, and often has a Linkon guitar there. He knows lots about them...anything you'd want to know. I recommend giving him a call, or sending him an email.
http://www.steelguitarcanada.com
Clint Jones

Linkon ( Bent)

Post by Clint Jones »

I have spoken to Wayne Link several times over the past 3 years or so as well as Al Brisco the seller. I am currently rebuilding the Linkon Steel. It has Mahogony and Birdseye maple and will be completly blonde birsdeye when it is completed.

The guitar plays very well and YES it was solid build. The Mahogony just started to check badly lately thats all. I am interested in what kinds of Linkons are out there now.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

In addition to being a fine player and builder, Wayne Link is also quite a "cool dude".

Here's a photo I took of him in 2003. I was honored to play at his Winnipeg Show that year.

We don't see each other often enough these days, but when we do he always treats me like a long lost friend.
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

Joey Ace wrote:In addition to being a fine player and builder, Wayne Link is also quite a "cool dude".
I agree Wayne's a cool dude and he still plays a mean steel. Occasionally when I see him I introduce myself as the President of the Wayne Link Fan club (lol). BTW, he has some very nice brand new Linkon S10s available & on display in his "show room".

This picture with Wayne was taken in 2008 at the Cripple Creek Music Festival in Manitoba.

Dennis
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race, the rats get faster.
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Al Brisco is very knowledgable about the Linkon Steels. http://www.steelguitarcanada.com/
Casey Lowmiller

Post by Casey Lowmiller »

Those darn giants are stealing the Grand Ole Opry!!!
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

Casey Lowmiller wrote:Those darn giants are stealing the Grand Ole Opry!!!
Yep, sidewalk and all. :whoa: :whoa: :lol:
Dennis
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Anybody have any info on that incredible 3D model of the Ryman they're holding?
Dennis Saydak

Post by Dennis Saydak »

Barry Blackwood wrote:Anybody have any info on that incredible 3D model of the Ryman they're holding?
I took the picture. This is an incredible wood carving that was made by a friend of Wayne (his name escapes me) who owns a Linkon guitar. You'd have to see it in person to appreciate all the work that went into the carving. If I remember correctly, it took about a year to complete. Here's a close up but much of the fine detail is lost because of the low screen resolution. If you'd like a high res picture I can email it you.

The inscription at the bottom right reads ... The Ryman, Grand Ole Opry, Nashville Tenn.

Dennis
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

oh...i thought it was a cake!