A Visit to Mullen Guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mickey Adams

A Visit to Mullen Guitars

Post by Mickey Adams »

For the last 3 days I have had the pleasure of visiting with Del, Dixie, and the Mantey boys at the Mullen guitar shop in Colorado. As most of you know I have been a customer of Del's for several years, and within the last 2 have been fortunate enough to become a distributor for their guitars. I wanted to take the time to learn more about the construction, primary setup, and fine tuning that I just was afraid to tackle without a little guidance. I can tell you first hand that I was completely overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge I was able to digest in such a short period of time, thanks to Mike and Shawn's patience..
I now would feel very confident about reconstructing, or repairing a Mullen guitar from the ground up!
Add to that, I now have a much better understanding of just what kind of REAL quality, and workmanship that goes into every Mullen guitar that goes out the door. So Mike, Shawn, Del, Dixie...Thank you all for giving me the opportunities that you have, and for supporting me in my PSG endeavors You guys truly do make the best PSG's in the world!..
All the best guys!!>...Mickey in Denver...headed back to Alaska!...
Last edited by Mickey Adams on 13 Oct 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Bill Stroud

Wish

Post by Bill Stroud »

Micky I wish I could have been with you, these are great people.
Bill
Al Risbeck

been there

Post by Al Risbeck »

Mickey I have been to their shop also, it was a great experience. I saw two Steels that were being put together as my wife and I watched. The next day they both were being played by Jerry Newberry and Austin Stewart at the Tulsa show and were two of the best sounding steels I have ever listened to. That was about four years ago. they could have said "we're busy, we've got to get these steels together" but they didn't, They are the nicest people you'll ever meet and their product is as good as you'll get.

Al
Mullen Discovery, GK mb200 with Eminence EPS-15C, Fender steel King with Eminence EPS-15C,Nashville 400 amp, with EPS-15C,Evans FET500 with Peavey 1501 BW Goodrich L10K V.P.(2),Goodrich L120, Bose L1 PA with ToneMatch 4 Mic control board
Buck Grantham

I agree whole heartedly

Post by Buck Grantham »

I have played a lot of guitars in my 60 plus years of playing and I can tell you first hand that Mullen guitars are the best there is in my book and the new G2 is the very best I have ever put my hands on . I will be playing my G2 in Hot Springs at Ronnie,s show the 3rd weekend of this month and I can,t wait. Buck Grantham
Music to light up your life
Herby Wallace

Mullen

Post by Herby Wallace »

I agree 100%. I have been selling and playing Mullen guitars for over 25 years and are the finest on the market in my opinion too. Every guitar they have ever built is a masterpiece, but the new G2 is the best I have ever played and in a class all its' own.

Herby Wallace
Danny Hullihen

Mullen Guitar

Post by Danny Hullihen »

I totally agree with these statements as well. You won't find a more helpful group of people than those at Mullen guitar company, and they are all a great pleasure to talk with. No matter what the situation might be, they will all give 100% to insure your satisfaction. I have been working on Mullen guitars for near two decades now, doing everything from minor adjustments to complete major rebuilds, and I have not seen a finer built guitar. I am indeed proud to be a registered endorser with Mullen Guitar Company, as well as an authorized dealer. The new Mullen G2 is beautiful example of great engineering and technology in pedal steel guitar design by Del Mullen, and their undieing dedication to quality and workmanship is second to none.
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

I tried out a Mullen in St. Louis. It has become my dream guitar. If I ever become worthy of it, I am going to get me one. It's the best guitar I have ever tried.

Tammy J
Mickey Adams

Pics

Post by Mickey Adams »

Image[/img]
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Billy Peddycoart

Post by Billy Peddycoart »

Mickey,
I love Mullen guitars and Del, Dixie,Mike and Shawn are great to work with.I have owned three all great guitars. I need the boys to build me a G2 next..Billy
Del Walters

Mullen Guitar and Micky Adams

Post by Del Walters »

:) :D I have an older Mullen, which I bought from Al Marcus on the forum. It's been sitting in a case for a year.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mickey from the forum today. He is revamping, my Mullen, and helping me get serious about my PSG playing.

You could not ask for a nicer and knowledgeable person, than Mickey to do business with.

I hope to get to Colorado, and meet Del and the Mullen associates soon. I'd like Mullen guitars to know, that they could not have a better person representing The Mullen company.

Thanks Mickey, Doc
Rittenberry SD 12 Lacquer, Rittenberry SD 12, Mullen G2 Del Mullen Signature SD-12, "Fox Vintage Amp and vintage reverb",Steel Mixer, "BJS Bars" , Sanberg 7 string bass, Fender tele-#4,Strats-#1,Fender V USA bass#2 Gibson 335, etc, etc, 1 fully staffed and equip veterinary hospital,plus 5 Yorkies, and a tolerate 100 pound Rottweiler.
Mickey Adams

Mine

Post by Mickey Adams »

Hey Doc!>..The pleasure was all mine!!>..Im really looking forward to getting you moving with your S12...I talked to Mike and we have a game plan already for the changer issue. We will order the parts all at once and have her hittin on all cylinders shortly...See you when I return from NYC later this week
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I haven't been to the factory, but I've probably got one of the Prettiest Mullen ever made. (course everyone thinks there's is). Picked up at the St. Lous show after having it on order. Well worth the wait. SD10 G2 3 & 5 The Eagle Landing. Thanks Del, Dixie and all the gang for the suberb job. Thank you also Mickey for helping me get it set up. By the Way, it is REDDDD. Larry Baker
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Don Drummer

Post by Don Drummer »

Ordered a Mullen D-10 last year so it is getting close to getting here. Saw a news clip of a Fed-Ex truck jack knifing on the ice on I-70 in Colorado last week. Hope it wasn't heading east :whoa: :whoa: Don D.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

I've had four Mullen guitars and each one has been totally superb ... all of them made with an Excalibur like quality that is unsurpassed.

My first was a red mica 1987 D-10 (8&5) HWP model that I bought at Charlie Norris' Family Music.

My second was a 1990 black top with natural front D-10 (8&9) that I ordered directly through Del.

My third was Gary Hogue's first Mullen, a 1983 D-10 black top with natural front (8&7) and that is the guitar I still have.

My fourth was another of Gary's Mullen guitars which was a 1997 mahogany colored mica D-10 (8&7) and it became my main "road guitar" during my last couple of years with Ty Herndon.

All four guitars were completely a dream to play. Not to impugn any other steel manufacturer, but every time I sat down at any other steel to try it out, I simply couldn't wait to get back onto my Mullen ... and for a very long time my personal motto was "When you've played the best, why try the rest?"

I wish I still had all four of my Mullen guitars, but I'm down to only Gary's old 1983 Mullen and it is one guitar I'll never part with ... that guitar is now 26 years old and it still plays like it did when it was brand new.

Although I've always tried to maintain a "there's no one brand of steel that's the best" sort of an attitude, I can sit down any other steel, try it out, and then set back down at a Mullen guitar and I know that deep inside I have to acknowledge that, in my opinion, Mullen guitars are truly the finest.

I should like someday to try out a G2 Mullen ... I've not yet had the opportunity to check one out, but I best (just like every Mullen I've ever played) it'd be a guitar that would just knock my socks off. :)
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Mickey Adams

G2

Post by Mickey Adams »

Jim, come see me buddy...you can play mine all you like.
Shoot me an email and we can hook up...I'm very close to
Arlington....mick
Gary Van Meter

Mullen G2

Post by Gary Van Meter »

Boys I hate to rain on the parade, but I think I've got the best made and looking Mullen G2.LOL Mike
Mickey Adams

D12

Post by Mickey Adams »

I have to admit...Mike and Shawn have created some real masterpieces...ie: The Eagle!!>..Wow...Ive been waiting patiently for them to get caught up with the flood of orders for my new D12...Im thinking Dark Blue Maple with a black top, Pearl accents between the necks, and on the front aprons...all polished of course. I feel very fortunate to be the recipient of THE first G2 D12...Pics will be uploaded of course!!!!..Cant wait...
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Thanks for the invite, Mickey ... would love to try out the G2. Sent you an email and a PM. :)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Jim,
So, you're going to try the G2?....Better not forget your Master Card at home....you'll be sorry!! :D
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Mickey, be sure and fly out for a California visit when you get your D12, I'm dying to try it!

I too am a huge Mullen guitar fan, but in the interest of pointing out one area of improvement opportunity for the company:

I had a disappointing experience trying to get gauged rollers for my 1991 D12. I ordered a set for both necks of my D12 from a person the Mullen company recommended to make them, but the effort was not successful. At the time Mullen did not make, or plan to make, gauged rollers.

To my knowledge, Mullen still doesn't offer gauged rollers and I feel they should, especially for 12-string guitars, where fat strings cause the big problems at the lower frets.

Please view this as a constructive suggestion, not a flame! In every other way, the Mullen folks have been great, and build a superb line of steels. If I had the means to be a dealer, I would do that in a heartbeat.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Mickey Adams

Of Course

Post by Mickey Adams »

John< I certainly agree that gauge rollers would be a desirable thing to have..Im sorry to hear that you didn't successfuly acquire a set...As for bringing the new G2 D12 to you...Id be more than happy to. Would you like to get Silvio, and all the local guys and do another G2 showing in general as well?...Id be happy to bring along the S12, Mullen Pedal, and preamp as well...I will get with Mike on the time frame. Del said it would be about 3 weeks away. I will be in Santa Monica Tuesday evening..anything going on in your neck of the woods?....Mick!!!
Harold Liles Jr

Post by Harold Liles Jr »

Mickey, I'm sure you learned a lot. I would encourage any steel player to do the same regardless of the steel make. A trip to the manufacturer will always give you a better understanding of your guitar. Bud Carter and John Fabian walked me thru the whole process in 98 when I bought my first universal. Loved it.
Harold Liles
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Let's get on phones and figure out timing, Mickey. I'm gigging a bit in the next few weeks, and still teaching. Hey maybe we can join forces for a dual instructor special seminar! Hope all is grand with you, my friend. ---John
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Nic du Toit wrote:Jim,
So, you're going to try the G2?....Better not forget your Master Card at home....you'll be sorry!! :D
I haven't been able to make it over to Mickey's yet due to scheduling, but we're going to try to hook up soon. I'm really looking forward to trying that G2, but I'm also a little worried that you might be right, Nic ... it may end up being an expensive visit! :lol:
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

I've just received a note from Mike that, if all goes well, the G2 will be on it s way to South Africa this coming Thursday. Needless to say our expectations are at fever pitch! :lol:
I have no doubt that you will find the G2 an impressive instrument.
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.