maurice and bobbe

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Terry Edwards

Post by Terry Edwards »

bobbe, if you heard it you would come to understand that tone is not in the hands!

t
Richard Gonzales

Post by Richard Gonzales »

How do you REV it without using your hands?
Richard Gonzales

Beautiful bike and bet it sounds cool!
?? What is that helmet made of, WOOD or ?
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Eric, can you post an MP3? JP
Eddie Malray

Post by Eddie Malray »

Eric: That sure is a beautiful ride. Bobbe: Have you looked under the hood of that old Electa in the last twenty years. I drove a 1976 Electra 225 for 9 years. It got around 15 mpg. Best car I ever had. Hope to see you soon. I need some stuff.-------Eddie
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Richard , Terry, Eddie, you guys are a delite! Richard, the helmut is either wood, rubbermaid or-----, I can't say!
Terry, yes, this is proof that tone is NOT all in the hands! If it were, my old Honda would sound a lot better.
Eddie, I hope to see you again soon as you are always a pleasure to converse with, (that means "shuck and jive").
bobbe
Richard Gonzales

Bobbe- I forgot to tell you something, you know my Corvette you liked so much, it is PLASTIC! I hope you still like it? If you bring a change of undies with you, I will give you a ride. It turned 119.33 mph in the 1/4 with the help of that super strong light weight plastic body.

Your Friend SPEEDY!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

See...I <u>told</u> 'ya!

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with sugar.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Richard, Yes, I'd love to ride in it. It will be very calm and restful after driving my '83 XJ12 Jaguar with its new 502 big block crate engine. Yes, it's a show vehicle but I drive it quite often, the leather and birds eye maple interior are meant to be sensed/asorbed. Power? How about 650 HP, with air cond. and all power accessories. Want a picture?
Doen't that fibre glass smell funny?
Don't worry, so do my tires when I accelerate to hard.
Ask John Drury about it, he's on the forum here. He drove it a couple of weeks ago, he's still shaking.
I've had over 40 Corvettes in my "car buying years", starting with a '62 and mistakenly working my way up through the years, I should have stayed with my '67 427 ci coupe that I moved to Nashville in (1968). A 390 HP with air. Then there were my three AC Cobras, but I'll save this story for later,
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Richard, Ask Maurice about his '59 Impala, 348 ci tri-power with four speed! White with red interior.
Richard Gonzales

Bobbe,you sure have me beat on HP, the Vette only dynos at 520 hp. Any more than that and I will need a change of undees.
You are right, the smoking tires (even watered down)overcomes the plastic smell.
Were you playing guitar when you had all those cars?
It would be great to have a cruise night with all of the steelies that have 50's rides.

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Actually, I was a "beach music" bass player on the east coast when I had all the Stingrays, working out of Norfolk VA. and working at my fathers music school in the daytime. I was a Corvette lover. Then I cut my left hand up so badly I couldn't play bass anymore, had to go to steel guitar in Nashville to make a living. Then I got a 911 Porsche and a Mercedes 190 D. A couple of years later, I was a AC Cobra guy,a Pantera, then all the Italian iron, however, I have had a few Corvettes through out the years, but I never could recapture the old feeling. When I met you in Mass, I had a black Corvette a couple of years older that yours.
That trip, I flew my Beechcraft Bonanza, too far to drive.
Yes, I liked your car very much, you take very good care of it, just like the Webb amp you sold me. Yep, I'b be proud to have any of your "hand me downs".
bobbe
Richard Gonzales

Bobbe- You might be interested in seeing some other cars I have for sale. One of my other businesses is New England Rod and Custom. Go to my web site www.newenglandrodandcustom.com that 55 chevy you will see is 820hp. Also look at the Outlaw Motor Sports web site. The fuelie dragster in the store is also ours. If you are from the 50's era then you will remember my friend George Barris custom car king. He was out to our car show last May.
I also built the Yellow Pearl 1955 stude Speedster which is on the cover of Dec 1959 issue of Rod and Custom magazine.
I wish I could talk guitars the way I can cars!!

Have a good ride,

Speedy
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Richard, I'm mad at you for not living closer!

bobbe
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Bobbe. You mentioned Reece's 59 chev. My second girlfriend's parents had a Brookwood with a continental kit, a 348 long stroke stump puller, and I'm not sure of the carburetion. I used to take her out in it when they were gone. We'd get it up to 90 on her long road by her house, and it was the first time I learned about chevrolet's piss pore brake systems.. had a near miss or two.

The other car they had was a 64 station wagon with a 409 in it. I remember her dad gave me a ride home in it one night after we got caught running away in '65. Pinned me to the seat on my way to my house and my waiting father.. I wanted to tell him I thought it was a "bitchin' ride" but I was in too much trouble.

Two others.

I remember a little geeky guy that had a '63 Studebaker. Plain jane looking 2dr HT. Thing had a factory four speed, and a supercharged 289, and he always seemed to embarrass the guys with their big muscley 442s etc in high school. I think the model was a Super Lark, or some such. I was later to own a 63 with a 259 ( shorter stroke non SC version). Great car, but the cast iron three speed auto weighed as much as the motor and made this stupid "whooshing" sound..

Then, there was the cobra race car the local shell station kept sitting out in the parking lot in various stages of race readyness. I think it was before they became worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

And the gull wing in the blackberries my dad wouldn't loan me 3000 to buy.

Not to forget the 65 Coronet 500 Mike Schramm had that came from the factory with dual 4s on a high rise, headers and a four speed. He had a plate in his head, and always made me nervous after a hundred, so I never rode with him much. especially in cold weather..

Some of those old mopars really came loaded, like the cross ram 4bbls that would always smell like gas for some reason.

Me, I had a 4 door 57chev, 283 3 speed which I blew every month, and 456 gears that we passed around on friday nites. The vaseline in the glove box was for keeping the bearings in the cluster gear and input shaft when we put in the spares. I got so I could do it with a flashlight..

Cars.

Since I ran a wrecking yard for a friend in 79-80, I never looked at them the same way.. by the ton.

I drive them, and give them to the city usually.

I spent more on my panhead top end than I ever have for anything on four wheels..

A guy's gotta have ONE thing in his life that's just the way he wants it.

EJL<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Eric West on 11 October 2004 at 05:54 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

How did we get on cars.
A guy in Tupelo had a Buick Convertable out ran every thing around, problem was it kept blowing transmissions, but the Buick dealer fixed them free, the guy was selling more cars than the dealer.
How many remember the FORDALAC, light frame heavy motor, fast.
In 1952 at the Columbia SC. speedway the announcer came on and said we are really going to have a race tonight, this Hudson Hornet got a speeding ticket on the way here for going 102 MILES PER, that was when you raced what you drove to the track.

The guy with the ugly car, locked down hood with a ROAD RACING MOTOR UNDER THE HOOD.

One night on the way back to camp from Montgomery, over in Ga. I came up on a 52 Caddy Convert loaded with people, top down, when I went around him he kept comming, the faster I went the faster he went, we tried to outrun each other for a long ways. I was on a Hog with high lift cams that ran faster in 3rd than in 4th, well I did not outrun him nor him me. Did you ever ride along at 100 pluss tring to set the carb for a faster run. How did we make to today????????????????

ernie
Richard Gonzales

Ernest- You brought out the memories when you said Fordalac. I had the first 51 Stude V8 with a stick shift. I held the record for stock class(2 years) 1/4 mi @ Orange County drag strip(Orange county airport) in Santa Ana , CA. 82.55 mph. Competion was Olds88, Hudson Hornets.
I was at the drive in one night when a 51 ford came in with a car full of guys looking for a drag race. My Stude could out run any Stock Ford! He left all of the guys in the car, Ha! Easy. Took off,I was way ahead doing over 100mph and man, here come those headlights and he flew by me like I was stopped! Tried again, and this time he blew me away from the start with 6 guys in the car. Back to the drive in to talk! It was Tommy Ivo(big time dragster King) with his full blown dragster Cad engine in the ford!!
What a surprise!
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Ernest.

My pan's got an A grind andrews cam, roller rockers, open pipes, 89.99 cid, and an S$S carb. Also the rear sprocket is 48 and the front 24. At 5000rpms it goes 116 and the speedo says 100.

I've gotten it up there ONCE, on I-84 on a long new piece of pavement, and I was holding her kind of loose, cause it was getting kind of "wiggly".

Anything steeper than an A grind pumps up my hyrdaulics after about 4000. It likes 3500 the best.

I've spent plenty of time at 60 plus fooling around with the timing, and carb. Grabbed a leaky plug wire more than once two.

There's nothing like doing something stupid to make you feel alive..

EJL
Don Ricketson

Post by Don Ricketson »

Well, Ive been wondering if this is really THE Bobbe or if it's someone else on his computer. I guess we'll know if some Milliniums shows up in his store for sale. Image

------------------
Mullen D10-8/5
Sho-Bud S10-3/4
Evans Amps
"Making The Stars Shine"

Jerry Warner

Post by Jerry Warner »

WHAT THE HELL WAS THE PROBLEM ANYWAY BETWEEN YOU GUYS WAS IT THAT ONE COULD OUT PLAY THE OTHER OR WAS THIS ABOUT GUITARS, STEELS THAT IS, SO LET US KNOW HERE ON THE FORUM, OR WAS SOMEONE TRYING TO CASH IN ON WHAT WAS SAID, HEY YOU GUYS SPEAKUP, I'VE READ THIS STUFF ON THE FORUM FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS AND EVERYONE GETTING SUED SO WHATS UP WITH DEAL, IS IT ABOUT SOME CHEAP STEEL GUITAR OR WHAT, BOTH OF YOU NEED TO GIVE AND ANSWER, SO WHAT DO YOU SAY FELLOW STEEL PLAYER'S SPEAK UP .
John Poston

Post by John Poston »

Those curious about the history can probably dig it up though searches on this forum.

I think it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.
Or would that be lay?

Keep focus on the future and keep positive.
Don Ricketson

Post by Don Ricketson »

Jerry, you don't need to shout...do a search!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Well common sense prevailed at the end of the day and maybe one or two lessons learned along the way. 2 lovely guys with hugely different personalities but with one common trait. They both love the instrument and have done a lot to promote it over the years.