Leon Chambers Passes

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Leon fought a long hard battle.

Sarah God bless and strengthen you as you so faithfully have shared the pain of his illness.

You and Leon will always be remembered for your work and loyal support of the TSGA show.

Of the several times I got to play with Leon, my favorite was at the Phoenix show several years ago when I managed to play a decent straight melody on a couple of Western Swing songs and Leon played harmony parts.

Thirteen of my relatives from California and Arizona were there and asked when we got time to practice. Not sure they believed me when I told them we had not. The were impressed when I told them they were listening to Leon Chambers, one of the greatest Western Swing artist of all time.
Joe Naylor

Post by Joe Naylor »

Herb I heard that story from Leon more than once and it was the same every with a twinkle in his eye.

The first time I met him it was words like "it's a pleasure" and lots of positive words - Always a great guy and that half a smile just made you feel like you had been friends for ever - my two boys were small when they met him and my youngest instantly asked him if he could have a picture with him - Leon said, "Sure boy come on over here" - he is in high school and that picture is hanging in his room still.

RIP Mr. Leon - you are and will be missed
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Buck Grantham

Leon

Post by Buck Grantham »

Our condolances go out to the family. Buck & Mitzi Grantham
Music to light up your life
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

R.I.P. My Friend.....
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Leon's in a better place now, playing again with Tom and all the great guys that have already left us.

My condolences go out to his wife and family.

RIP

Walter
JAMES BANKS

Leon

Post by JAMES BANKS »

The first time I attended the Dallas show, I met Leon and Sara. I don't know if they remembered my name for the next 10 years I attended, but they acted like I was a long time friend. I always admired his playing and his humour. My prayers are with the family.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Sarah was the first new person I met at the Texas show in 2991.

I added a couple more Morrell tracks to my playlist Tuesday night.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Unfortunately for me, I never knew Leon on a personal basis, only from his performances at the Texas show.

My impression is that from a superficial viewpoint, he was a "cool" performer and an outstanding guitartist, all the way from his superb guitar playing to his ragged jeans. He will be remembered as one of the "best of the best" and he will be missed.
Rick Jackson

Post by Rick Jackson »

It really is sad to hear about Leon. He was truly a diverse individual. He told me about being in the army with Bud Isaacs and that they "held San Antonio hostage" the whole time they were there. He also played for the Dallas Cowboys in their early years as a punt returner. He decided picking guitar was a lot easier. He was a real trooper. I can remember when he played one year in Phoenix. He lost the feeling in his right ring finger and right pinkie. He got some duct tape and taped the two fingers back up inside his hand and never missed a lick. I have a great photo of Leon holding my grandson Eddie when Eddie was 5-6 months old. Someday I'll be able to tell him who that great man was that was in the picture with him. RIP my friend...
Merrill & Vangie Fich

Post by Merrill & Vangie Fich »

We were so sad to get the call from Sara that Leon had passed. We got to know Leon and Sara by working at the Dallas and phoenix shows. Leon's favorite story to tell was how he met and fell in love with his beautiful wife Sara. I'll always remember the look in his eyes when he spoke of their love for each other. Our love and prayers are with Sara and the family that our wonderful Lord will surround them with His Presence and Peace.
Zum d10-11, Infinity D 10, NV112,NV400, line 6 pod xt, Gretsch Country Gentleman[1967] Telonics VP. Telonics pickups 1956 Gibson EBO Bass
Bud Isaacs

Leon

Post by Bud Isaacs »

Like Rick told you, Leon and I were in the Army together, at Fort Sam Houston, in San Antonio, Texas. We had a lot of fun together. We will miss his great guitar playing. May God bless Leon and his family, we will keep them in our prayers. Bud and Geri
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Leon and I worked together a lot for about a year then I went a different direction. Leon will always be my favorite guitar player. We had a lot of fun telling tall tales.