Leon Chambers Passes

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Paul Polish

Leon Chambers Passes

Post by Paul Polish »

Just got a call from a friend of the family that Leon passed on around 3:45 this AM.
They went in to give medication and he was gone.
There will be NO Services.
However, he did request a large get together in a couple of weeks.
More info to follow.

Paul
Jeff Agnew

Post by Jeff Agnew »

I just posted the same thing in the Extended Family section, Paul. Sorry -- should have looked here first.

I got the same information you did about the services.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Paul this is sad news, what a great guitar player, legend, and just a great guy to be around. Leon will be greatly missed by many many people. Rest in peace Leon.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

Paul,
Thanks for letting me know about Leon.I have known him since I was 16..what a player but most of all..what a friend!
He is missed now..
Denny Sarver

Post by Denny Sarver »

Thanks for the post, Paul....We've lost one of the greatest players I've ever met. He came to Mesa for our first 4 shows, and made all of feel as if we'd been friends forever. A big loss for us all.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

What a great player and person! We are so saddened to have learned of this!
John Buffington and family
Steve Alcott

Post by Steve Alcott »

I've started and deleted this post about ten times now. I'll just say that Leon is high up in my pantheon of great musicians, and that he was a nice guy each time I got to be around him.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

RIP, my friend, Leon. RIP.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I'm so sad to hear this.

Just this Sunday I was just watching a video of him playing at a Texas dance (Thanks Dean).

I was in awe of his style. So unique. He will be missed.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

I hate to hear this. I feel very fortunate to have shared a stage with him a few times. He has always made me feel welcome. No doubt he will be missed. What a player and person!!!!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Sorry to hear this. I got to see Leon play a few times. I was always knocked out by his technique and playing. Another great one gone. Rip Leon.
Dugg Collins

Leon Chambers

Post by Dugg Collins »

What a loss. I got to see Leon one time in Ruidoso with Tom Morrell. Tom invited me to sit in for a some tunes and I was thrilled to be on the same stage as Tom Morrell and Leon Chambers. He was so nice to me that day when the break came. Leon Sent me a CD when I was in Wichita, Kansas and he was a featured act on my Western Swing time up there.

All of us will miss you forever Leon.
Dugg Collins

Leon Chambers

Post by Dugg Collins »

What a loss. I got to see Leon one time in Ruidoso with Tom Morrell. Tom invited me to sit in for a some tunes and I was thrilled to be on the same stage as Tom Morrell and Leon Chambers. He was so nice to me that day when the break came. Leon Sent me a CD when I was in Wichita, Kansas and he was a featured act on my Western Swing time up there.

All of us will miss you forever Leon.
Rob Parker

Post by Rob Parker »

My heartfelt sympathy, and prayers for Miss Sarah, and the Chambers family. Mr Leon has been a great friend for over twenty five years..and he always made me feel special whenever we had a chance to "visit"...
He would offer his Fender guitar for mw to play in the Dallas Sunday morning church service, if I wanted it.He would usually come to the Sunday morning service.But he would be out of sight somewhere..But he always complimented us for the service..
Another legend gone to play with his heavenly picking pals.
RIP my dear friend..Yes ,you are already missed..
RP...'come on in'...
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

Susan and my deepest sympathy go out to Sarah. My sympathy also goes out to the entire music world on their loss. I have played Leon for years on "Swingin' West." It was a real joy to meet him and hear him play in person in Ft. Worth in 2000. Everyone that ever heard him play will miss him.
Mike
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

We were aware of Leon's grave condition....his health issues were many. Nonetheless, what a great player that I had the pleasure of working with many times at the Dallas and Phoenix shows. Leon always had a smile and a compliment for all the players. We share in the great loss. I have a picture of Leon and myself in my music room that will always remind of what a great player and person he was. Rest in peace, old pal!

Billy and Meriul Easton
Las Vegas, NV
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

This is a very sad day especially for those of us who knew Leon so very well. Sara called me this morning to inform me of Leon's passing and even though we were prepared for the eventual it still was a very hard thing to hear. Our prayers will still go out to Leon, who is now in peace and without pain, and to his beloved wife, Sara, who has been his strength through this whole ordeal.
Rest in peace our friend,
...Roy and Barbara
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Another one of the great ones gone. One of the great players of our time.Also a dear friend. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep his family always. Jody.
Herb Steiner

Q

Post by Herb Steiner »

I've known and admired Leon Chambers for 20 years, he was the guitarist on my first album, and played my set on every TSGA Jamboree since 1992 when I began doing steel guitar shows. He was dear and trusted friend. He always requested my 6/8 version of Westphalia Waltz.

When I told Tom Morrell that Leon was booked for my first album, he said "you'll have God's own guitarist with you. If you can play a clean melody, Leon will play a part above you and below you."

Tom didn't have all the answers, but he was right on the money about Leon, fer sure.

I remember when he first laid eyes on his beautiful wife Sara... I saw her at the same moment too, taking registration at the TSGA show in 1993. I pointed her out and asked Leon if he knew who that total knockout woman was taking tickets. He said no, he didn't know her, but that he was gonna marry her, by God.

Well, I'll be dog gone if he didn't marry that gal! :lol:
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

Just now seeing this sad news. Our prayers will be with the family.

The Stewarts
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

I always loved to hear Leon play (and sing) at the steel shows. What a wonderful and unique guitarist. I will miss him.
Chuck
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Sorry to hear this sad news. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the Family.

Donna & Jerry
Milton C. Willmann

Post by Milton C. Willmann »

I'm saddened by this news. We'll keep his family in our thoughts and prayers. A good man is gone.
Milton C. Willmann
Dean Neeley

Leon Chambers

Post by Dean Neeley »

This is such sad news.It was allways worth the drive
from SC to the Texas show just hear Leon.He was
all ways fun to be around. He will be Missed

Dean Neeley
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Herb, I remember that "Sarah" moment too. The boy was smitten.