About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

Doyle Grisham
Sonny Priddy

Players

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Don't Forget The Great Jimmie Crawford. SONNY.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Jimmy Crawford. Sonny you must have clicked in a second before me.
Last edited by Ben Lawson on 29 Sep 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

This is turning into a list of "all steelies" ! :lol:

How could Hughey get missed in the first list?? :?
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Two of my favorite people who happen to play the steel very well and are most deserving of being on "The List" would be Sonny Curtis and Junior Knight. Both are just great people and my friends. Another great player is Steve Palousek and if Terry Bethel has not been mentioned I just did.
Wally Murphy
Jim Murphy
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Bob,
PeeWee Charles, Bob Lucier, Ollie Strong, Jeff Bradshaw, Evan Ehgoetz, Al Bragg, Jean Guy Grenier, and more. All from Canada
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

don't forget wayne newton and ernie hagar and...

the problem with making a list is that i'd be tempted to name everyone better than me who influenced me...and there's not enough time or space to list 3 zillion names...
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

Chris, I am 'absolutely gutted' that I missed John from that 1st list, I can't believe it! above them all I so admired him both for his playing and his gracious manner! :cry:
thank you, I am surprised that it has gone un-noticed to this point! I really appreciate all your input and am honoured that you all have taken the time.

Bent, should I create a list for just for Canada ???.... this is where it all gets political! but then again perhaps not, it is all just geography after all, I have to include Nick du Toit his playing is awesome even if he is among the elephants in Africa for goodnes sake! .... But I'll sort that, somehow!
Last edited by Bob Adams on 29 Sep 2009 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Bob Adams wrote:Chris, I am 'absolutely gutted' that I missed John from that 1st list, I can't believe it! above them all I so admired him both for his playing and his gracious manner! :cry:
thank you, I am surprised that it has gone un-noticed to this point! I really appreciate all your input and am honoured that you all have taken the time.
Bob, it's so easy to miss the obvious ones when you're compiling the famous names. Understandable. I'm just partial to Hughey, as always!
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Did anyone list hall of famer from my home town, Bobby White? Then how about Pee Wee Whitewing? Ben Jack was a great player until being hit with a stroke. Jack Rider was as great player that most have probably not heard of. Mike Cass and Bryan Adams are about as good as it gets.
I gotta go!
Jerry
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

Hi Jerry,........ Bobby, Pee Wee and Ben will be listed I assure you! thank you, As for Terry Bethel Wow! awesome or what! if ever there was a deep thinkin steeler!....Jack Rider I confess I don't know anywhere we can hear him?

Sonny and Ben ! …Jimmy Crawford! … Sorry I guess I just gotta book myself into a home now! ………..What a gaff!!!!

as you say Jerry!... I gotta go! me too my friend as it is 3.15am in my country and much as I eat sleep and drink PS I must get my beauty sleep!!!!! The very best to you all!.. :)
Last edited by Bob Adams on 29 Sep 2009 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bryce Baker

Post by Bryce Baker »

Noel Boggs
Vance Terry
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Don't leave out Dicky Overby...
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

Bollocks Larry!! There is another one... you are going to have me up all night!
Bob Adams

Post by Bob Adams »

this is the last for now! I promise!

CHRIS! ...John was there when I looked back,.. 'Praise the Lord', I thought I had lost the plot!........ I would have so loved to have chatted with him as others were so fortunate to do! ....If he is on a park bench in heaven and the Good Lord lets me in I will give him a whistle and say hey mister we never met but!!!.........the rest will take a thousand years!!
George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

Maurice Anderson
Cindy Cashdollar
Russ Wever
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

What about Johnny Siebert, Billy Bowman, Walter Haynes, Sonny Burnett, Garland Nash,Big Jim Webb, Bill West, Buddy Merrill, Joe Talbot, Kayton Roberts, Don Davis, Rabbit Easter, Joe Edwards, Rick Price, Jimmy Farmer, Billy Robinson, Slim Idaho, Cousin Jody, Santo and Johnny, Bob Dunn....and almost left out Bobby Garrett, Bobby Koefer, Lew Houston, Gary Carpenter, David Spires, Ronnie Miller, and Jody Carver.
Last edited by Roger Kelly on 29 Sep 2009 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Not sure if I saw Scotty's name or Winnie Winston above.
James Jacoby

Post by James Jacoby »

Mike (Cookie) Jones--Carco Clave--Rudy Osborne--Danny Hulahen--John David Call
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Where's Johnny Cox?

Texas Troubador, Cherokee Cowboys, etc
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Where's Clarence Clue ?

He's a fantastic player, still playing his old homebuilt steel, he founded Norfolk and Clue, acclaimed UK 60's country duo
Marc Jenkins

Post by Marc Jenkins »

Ben Keith, please!
Mike Perlowin

I'm almost afraid to say it

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Robert Randolph.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
basilh

Post by basilh »

Bob, why don't you edit the first post to include the names originally omitted as they are submitted, AND repost the lot as a new posting within the current thread as each new page is reached ?
Just a thought..
There is a problem with the Virgin UK site and its mail servers, so I'm NOT receiving any E-Mail.
If you need to get in touch just PM me as I check the forum every hour.
Basil
Yes don't forget Robert Randolph, definitely a household name in the USA.

If you have Sarah, David Hartley and myself excluded for reasons of nationality then I can also understand why players from Hawaii are also. After all didn't the European Court decide that America's invasion and annexation of Hawaii was illegal !
It COULD be Alaska's turn next >:-) Not to mention those north of "Hadrian's Wall"

If you plan on including the kingdom of Hawaii's roots players, then there are some grave omissions like the Tavares brothers.
Last edited by basilh on 30 Sep 2009 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cameron Tilbury

Post by Cameron Tilbury »

In Canada, no list would be complete without Bob Wingrove...a true steel pioneer--and still active. Bob "Windy" Wingrove was a part of the legendary Main Street Jamboree, which launched the careers of Gordie Tapp and Joe Brown.
Bob played with The Family Brown, Roy Warhurst, Dick Damrom, Ian Tyson and many, many more.

Even though I'm across the ocean, I speak to Bob almost every week and still consider him to be my mentor.
Sho Bud Super Pro D10