Alumitone PU

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

The ones that fit pedal steels are actually bass pups, called bass bars.
"Fit" is relative.

The bass bar fits the usual steel pickup slot, but the P90 6-string model is plenty wide enough for pedal steel use (just slightly narrower mounting screws or some alternate mounting method) and sound tremendous, with strong mids and bite typical of good P90's.

ALL the Alumitones are far lower in DC resistance than most "normal" steel pickups, so you will likely need to re-set your expensive volume pedal or other impedance-matching device.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Bill Joerger

Post by Bill Joerger »

Say, thanks for that website:-

http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com ... _bars.html

I placed an order for two. But instead of putting them in my GFI which I've been trying to sell, I'll first put them into my '79 PP D-10 Emmons. It has a single-coil which sounds good, but the hum can be a bit annoying.
The GFI on the other hand has very quite humbuckers, but by their very design concept I believe humbuckers also cut both output and bass overtones. If the first two work out well I'll try two more for the GFI.

John Fabian- How does one order those adapter plates?
bob Ousby

Post by bob Ousby »

William...I think the adapter plate is available only through Carter. I think that's a neat addition to the Alumitone. I placed a call to Carter earlier today hoping to order the pickup plus the plate. The female employee hung up on me...I was shocked. So, I ordered the product (no plate) online through the Aamp website. I was hoping to ask the female employee what are the dimensions of the plate. The Carter website doesn't mention that. Anyways, I don't mind drilling 4 holes...Bob
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

The Alumitone from Carters with the attachment plate makes the installation a breeze - I highly recommend it.
This is how they look in my Black Zum !!

14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Johnny Baker

Alulmitone P/u

Post by Johnny Baker »

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHETHER OF NOT THEY WILL FIT A CARTER STARTER? IF SO, HOW MUCH AND HOW HARD IS IT
TO INSTALL. JUST CURIOUS.
I am currently running a Simmons SD10, Peavey Nashville 400 that's packing a 15" BW, Peavey Delta Fex effects processor, and a Match Box. Best rig I've ever run and the sound is truly incredible.
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

I put a couple in a Strat. The thin single coil strat version and they are very nice sounding but extremely microphonic.

I wonder if the Bass bar versions are microphonic and what that matters.....
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I'd talk to Lace about the microphonic issue; I have the P90 and a humbucker and neither has any microphonics, comparatively speaking (i.e I can hear it if I bang a screwdriver on them, but they pickup no mechanical or other "playing" noise.)
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

Thats interesting. I can tap on the pickguard 2" away and it comes through the pickup. I noticed this with a Twin on 3. I installed the bridge and the neck but not the middle pickup. Both have exactly the same level of microphonics so I assume its inherent to the design.

Maybe I will talk to Lace. Thanks.
Bill Stroud

Alumitone PU

Post by Bill Stroud »

I've got them in my G2 Mullen and I really like them, I also sell them now for 10 or 12 string.
Bill
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Do they also fit 5 & 6 string basses @ 1 3/8" X 4" and 1 3/8" X 4 3/8" respectively?
What's your price, Bill?
Bill Joerger

Post by Bill Joerger »

Recieved my Alumitone PU's from AampSelector. Pretty quick delivery, but it looks like the PU's might be a bigger task installing them into my '79 Emmons than I thought. First off, it would have been nicer if the wires coming off the Bass Bars were longer. The Emmons has a much longer wire run then most other makes. I will also have to fabricate a plastic mounting plate. Does anyone know if mounting plates can be obtained from Carter? So far, I haven't seen anything about them on their site. If I should put the Alumitone's into my GFI instead, it appears that it would be a much easier task, since all wiring is right near the end plate. Still, it will need a mounting plate. Any ideas?
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

William I don't think Carters sell the plates separately !
Carl Houtz

Alumitone pu

Post by Carl Houtz »

Received my MSA Alumitone for my SD-10 MSA Legend. The notes are clean below and above the 12th fret, also no hum or microphonic. Really like it.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I have installed these Alumitone pickups on several different brand steel guitars now, mounting plates for all major brand guitars.

I feel our sale price is the best you'll find anywhere, immediate shipping

Bobbe Seymour
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

Paddy,
I was wondering what kind of string to pick up clearance you ended up with on your Zum. I put an Alumitone on my SD10 Zum and the lowest it will set is 1 1/2 'quarters'. The p'up will not go lower because of the changer support arms.
I find the p'up is extremely bright sounding. Thought maybe more clearance would change that.
Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
J.R. Marlowe
Life has many choices. Eternity has TWO. I choose Heaven.
Black '95 Zumsteel SD10, 4+5;Black Mullen RP SD10, 4+5
NRA Life member
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

BobbeSeymour wrote:I have installed these Alumitone pickups on several different brand steel guitars now,

I feel our sale price is the best you'll find anywhere, immediate shipping

Bobbe Seymour
Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Blow your horn, Bobbe, but you'll be tickled to know that the Alumitone I bought from you and installed on my GFI is outstanding! Puts the old GFI II to shame - per my taste and my taste only.

Wonder what it would do - if anything - for that LeGrande II that Buck was playing. Like it really needed any help!

Richard
Last edited by Richard Damron on 20 Oct 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Hi James, I didn't have any clearance issues with the Alumitones ...I replaced the BL710's and set the pickups about the same height ...and tweaked for sound. I think if you had the cabinet drop mechanism on your Zum it might interfere with the plate height?? Keep in mind my pickups came from Carters with their plate attached -- it just fitted straight on to the Zum base plate and adjusted normally. This was a standard changer Zum with no cabinet drop mechanism - and not my Hybrid.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

Ok I got mine today and would like to know what the little foam pads are for? Please respond someone I am anxious to get it installed.
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

Hey Paddy,
Thanks for the response. I don't know what the cab. drop mechanism is you're speaking of. I saw a photo of the mounting plate from Carter. That would not work for mine, because it is the same width as the p'up...and the p'up will not go between those arms I mentioned. It worked fine setting on top of them, but the most clearance I can get is 1 1/2 quarters. That's why I was wondering what clearance you had.
I guess my Zum is built somewhat different than yours.
Craig, I couldn't figure what those foam pads were for either. :\
J.R. Marlowe
NRA Life member
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I just talked to Danny Hullihen and he suggested that they go under the ends.It would prevent micro-phonics I think.
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

I wondered about that, but in my situation, there would've been no clearance.
J.R. Marlowe
NRA Life member
Danny Sherbon

Happy Alumitone Owner

Post by Danny Sherbon »

I have 2 identical GFI Ultras. I installed a Alumitone on the E9 neck on one of the guitars. I hooked both guitars up without a volume pedal to compare the sound and volume from both guitars into the same amp. There is a noticeable difference in the tone of the guitars. The Alumitone has much more clarity in all ranges of the neck. There's a noticeable difference in volume put out by the Alumitone also. Something I've not heard anybody mention was the amount of sustain the pickup adds. I'm noticing about 3 seconds of additional sound from the Alumitone. I'm thinking the Alumitone is a keeper.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

James I'm set at about 2 quarters with a bit of slop !
This is my 01 standard Zum D10
James Mayer
Location: back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)

Re: Happy Alumitone Owner

Post by James Mayer »

Danny Sherbon wrote:I have 2 identical GFI Ultras. I installed a Alumitone on the E9 neck on one of the guitars. I hooked both guitars up without a volume pedal to compare the sound and volume from both guitars into the same amp. There is a noticeable difference in the tone of the guitars. The Alumitone has much more clarity in all ranges of the neck. There's a noticeable difference in volume put out by the Alumitone also. Something I've not heard anybody mention was the amount of sustain the pickup adds. I'm noticing about 3 seconds of additional sound from the Alumitone. I'm thinking the Alumitone is a keeper.
How would a pickup add sustain? Less magnetic pull on the strings?