Robert Randolph Oct. 9th

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

CrowBear Schmitt

Robert Randolph Oct. 9th

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Robert Randolph & The Family Band will appear on a very special Austin City Limits on Oct 9th! This will be the second time that RRFB has played Austin City Limits, but for this show, Robert brings out legendary sacred steel players Aubrey Ghent, Calvin Cooke and Ted Beard. The show also features rythm guitar by Luther Dickenson and the end jam with all the sacred steel players is not to be missed! http://austincitylimits.com/acl_on_pbs_tv.asp
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Thanks! Image
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

In the Dallas area, it will be on KERA channel 13 at 10 PM October 14. Cool! Image
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Very cool. Thanks
Charles French

Post by Charles French »

I'll definately have to check this out. Luther & Cody Dickenson are friends of mine. Born and raised just up the road from me. If you ever get a chance to see the North Ms Allstars don't pass it up. Luther is a great slide player and I can't say enough about little brother Cody, Buddy Rich incarnated! Being brought up around the likes of Ry Cooder & Bob Dylan didn't hurt these boys musical understanding and appreciation any. Luther lived on Otha Turner's place in an old shack with dirt floors for a few years studing under Otha. http://www.epitonic.com/artists/othaturnerandtheafrossippiallstars.html
Clint Queen

Post by Clint Queen »

They come on at 11:00 p.m., on October 15 in the west
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

I will be watching the show, I don't want to miss this concert. steveb Desert Rose guitar
8+5.
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Thanks for the heads up Crowbear! I'll stay up for that concert. Man RR SMOKES on his Fessy!

Rick
CrowBear Schmitt

David Wright

Post by David Wright »

any one what time here in ca on direct TV???
Herman Visser

Post by Herman Visser »

Hi David, Im showing on dirct on Oct.10, 12 to 1 am Ch.9
CrowBear Schmitt

Hope this helps you find ACL airing in your area: http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/tvschedule/localtimes.html
Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

Man!!!! what a performance Whew!!!! I liked the way Aubrey and Arthur and the guy on the sho-bud did when the saint's go marching in,
excellent show guys, and Robert did his lead on that tune, I was ready for bed after their performance, I almost felt I was there partying with everyone. steveb Desert Rose Guitars 8+5.
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

Saw RR here on local PBS. Man what a fantastic BASS player he has. That Guy is GREAT...........Jennings

Play steel for the beautiful angelic sound of it..............Jennings

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Dan Farrell

Post by Dan Farrell »

Everybody in RR's Band is an excellent musician. This Austin City Limits show was even better than RR's first appearance. I was really impressed with Calvin Cook's playing. I assume that was a Fender. Calvin Cook showed just how tasty an effect delay can be on a steel guitar.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

It's hard to argue and say anything negative about someone who is having as good a time making music as one can possibly have. His smile and delightful demeanor are contagious, and the music has such a good feeling to it, what's not to like?

I've said it before and I'll say it again--you can put any instrument in the hands of a good musician and he/she will figure out a way to play it, whether it's in the traditional manner or not.

PS--I still think Aubrey outclasses them all as a player, and those dance steps were great.

Calvin Cook showed just how tasty an effect delay can be on a steel guitar.
Didn't work for me--I thought it was irritating. His Deluxe 8 did have that 'scream' factor, though.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 10 October 2004 at 12:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

More comments here.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande