ZB Custom

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

One more.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Not a very good pic of the "something else"

from what I'm seeing, it looks as if the E9 neck has been converted to a ShoBud rack and Barrel system :eek:
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

from what I'm seeing, it looks
as if the E9 neck has been converted
to a ShoBud rack and Barrel system
How did you determine that?
I haven't noticed any pics
of the underside posted yet.
ZB has always used hex socket-head
adjustments on the outside of the
window-less endplate like this one.
Thnx,
~Russ
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Russ Wever wrote:
from what I'm seeing, it looks
as if the E9 neck has been converted
to a ShoBud rack and Barrel system
How did you determine that?
I haven't noticed any pics
of the underside posted yet.
ZB has always used hex socket-head
adjustments on the outside of the
window-less endplate like this one.
Thnx,
~Russ
Oh, i'm just jumping to conclusions, Russ !
THe Hex sockets on the e9 neck look like rack and Barrel rods -to me- ( those rods have never been used with any other system, have they ?), However, that could just be that I am half blind, and it is NOT a very good pic.
At any rate, they look completely different than the ones on the C6 neck -to me.-
Kevin and CUrt are being very coy about what is different, I'm just having fun.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I've been hearing about this guitar for a long time. It's nice to finally see some pictures of it.
-๐•“๐•†๐•“- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I'm not being coy. I am waiting for Curt to resend me the underside shot in JPEG format.
Bobby Burns

Post by Bobby Burns »

Kevin, of course I was kidding about a lot of what I said in my other post. However, I am a little disturbed as to why anyone would do this. It's like Elvis without the pork chops and the rest of the hair-doo! It's like a '61 Chrysler Imperial Crown, without the tailfins!
I also would indeed give $380 for it.
I will wait to see the underside pictures before revision of my offer.
Curt Jarvis

Auction Update

Post by Curt Jarvis »

Hi guys, Itโ€™s great to hear your comments, Thank you Kevin for putting the pictures up, my computer with Vista on it and a very slow dial-up is making sending pics tuff, never know what will get through. I will get a couple more pictures up. I do not know anything about the changer. This guitar is a little piece of history that someone with the interest and time might enjoy. The case is very old and not original to the guitar (comes with some story of it sitting on the Grand Old Opry for years), not in very good shape. The Auction will end Oct 6th when I get home from work and log on to the Forum, highest bid at that time wins. All the money goes to the Forum you pay shipping. Thanks guys
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'll offer a money-back guarantee, minus the shipping charges. If you end up buying this guitar and aren't satisfied with it after playing it for a week, send it to me and I'll refund your purchase price.

I don't really want the guitar, but I want whoever gets it to be happy with it. I could resell it if need be, I'm sure.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

That's a h3llofadeal there, b0b.
I's just funnin' with Kevin about being secretive.
Perhaps no one has truly identified the E9 changer mystery.
This is all for a good cause anyway.

(What I'd -really- like to hear is the story of the dispute between Carter and Curt :whoa: )
b0b

Post by b0b »

That story will not be told on the forum.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

I didn't think so. :D
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

I remember when this one came up for sale about five years ago. At least, I think I remember what I thought I had remembered...but anyway, somewhere in the Buy and Sell archives there should be some pictures of this steel. If I can remember correctly (please disregard anything after I mumble the previous phrase), Greg Jones commented on this ZB (Please silence me Greg, if I'm wrong) and, while not necessarily giving it "two thumbs up", did not trash it either.
DISCLAIMER!!! If I happen to be totally wrong about this ZB previously being for sale on the SGF please feel free to chime in with some sort of comment like, "Duncan doesn't know what he is talking about", or "Duncan, please get back on your medication". I promise I won't get nasty and make you post about me in the Forum Feedback section.
Duncan
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Ben Elder

Case of ZB-ectomy

Post by Ben Elder »

Aesthetics aside, I'd bet someone was having trouble finding a case to fit this in its pre-op longhorn existence--i.e., between the Tom Brumley short-body era and the ascendancy of Hatton Custom Cases. Those classic ~36" ZBs don't fit into much of anything else but their own OHCs. (I may have discovered a period alternative, but the mail and FedEx ground have to do their magic before I can determine my success.)

Still, it is a bit like cutting the headstock off a '51 Nocaster to invent the Steinberger...
"Gopher, Everett?"
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

More pics.
Bobby Burns

Post by Bobby Burns »

Boy, a close up of that E9 changer would be nice. Also, what is up with the a pedal crossrod?
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Well, my guess was way off.:oops:
I suck at this game. :lol:
b0b

Post by b0b »

What's the copedent?
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

The E9th changer is correct. Its missing the lower return springs and has been painted black. With a bit of work, this would be a good playing and excellent sounding guitar. Zane built ZB's are hard to come by and they sound great.

Greg
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

It really doesn't matter Bob. This guitar has got to be disassembled and put back together properly. ZB's are what I call a semi permanent guitar. The pulls have to be set up one at a time, and they have to be done in order. Going in and trying to fix individual pulls without removing pulls next to them is nearly impossible. On a guitar like this you will find that the whole guitar is out of whack. The pulls have to be stabilized and balanced. That whole guitar has to be re set up, including some new parts. Once the whole guitar is set up properly they play fine. If I was getting this guitar I would do a total restore including refinish. The guitar hasn't been cut, just the keyheads, and they can be replaced with new ones. This is an early ZB (wrong label). There are not many of these left. I'll bet there is gorgeous wood under that paint.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Greg and Kevin, thank you for clearing up a lot of questions.
Bobby Burns

Post by Bobby Burns »

Kevin, do you know what the apparatus is that is in place of the A peddle cross bar?
Also, can who ever actually has the guitar measure the length of the total guitar, including the endplates?
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

All of the E9th is wrong. A cluster F. You have to email Curt Jarvis for the merasurement. This guitar was NOT cut.
Curt Jarvis

Update

Post by Curt Jarvis »

I agree with Kevin, this guitar needs to be redone if itโ€™s ever going to be played in public. Thatโ€™s what I would like to see happen. The Guitar does have A and B pedals in the Jimmie Day position that work, a D lever on the LKL and E on the RKR lever that raises the 4th but does not raise the 7th. The Guitar is 34 inches long. I HOPE WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME PAGE . If you made a bid that you donโ€™t want to stand behind you need to say so NOW. I will assume that there is enough info out there to make an accurate evaluation. BOB made a great offer so know what you are bidding on so we donโ€™t waste his time. Guys thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Harry Hatterer Jr

Post by Harry Hatterer Jr »

I have serial #1086 That Zane built for me in Scranton Arkansas. Ted Solesky picked it up for me in August 1968 at the Harrisburg airport. It was a D10, 8x2 red in color, blended over Birds Eye Maple on front & back with diamond inlay, Maple top with white fret boards. Kevin Hatton added 2 additional knee levers & built a 2 piece case for me. Kevin wondered who had restored it. I told him it was still original, having been in the case for 20 some years. Somebody needs to buy this & have it restored, including the ZB Scranton Ark decal. They will have a great sounding guitar that is getting harder to find, & it will benefit the Forum!