Need Pictures From 75/76/77 Jimmy Bryant/Buddy Emmons

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave A. Burley

Need Pictures From 75/76/77 Jimmy Bryant/Buddy Emmons

Post by Dave A. Burley »

I am preparing to release several of the CD's that we recorded in the mid-seventies. One of them reaturing Buddy Emmons and Jimmy Bryant was recorded at Rogers Musicland in Muskegon, Mich. Anyone having any pictures from that session, we need them. Also pictures from the recording with Bryant, Emmons, Chalker, Maurice, Jernigan and Julian recorded live at the Horseshoe Bar in Muskegon. That CD will be released later this year and we do need pictures.
The recording 'Cavalcade of Guitars' at Dewey's Longhorn Ballroom in Dallas, Texas, Nov. 15th, 1976....I need pictures badly. I have many that will be part of the CD but I need one of all of the pickers on stage at the same time. Henry Ade took many pictures for me that night but he has passed and his widow will can not find them for me. Henry was quite a picture taker and I can understand that his widow might have to go through about 20,000 pictures which might take a couple weeks.
Thanks for any help.
Dave A. Burley
Edward Helbert

Post by Edward Helbert »

I was at the Dallas concert. will get my pictures out and let you know -- ASAP.
Edward Helbert

Post by Edward Helbert »

Edward Helbert

Post by Edward Helbert »

Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Les AND Buddy together?!!? OMG
Ron Whitfield

Yeah, but...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Slam AND Louie!
Edward Helbert

Post by Edward Helbert »

Edward Helbert

Post by Edward Helbert »

Off Topic, but can you see what's wrong with this picture from the '77 convention?
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Looks like Buddy's shoe's untied...
Edward Helbert

Job stress?

Post by Edward Helbert »

Don't you just hate it when someone is looking over your shoulder while you're trying to work?

Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

great pix!!! looks like it was a ton of fun
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Great photos!

I'll bet the Big E was was havin' a ball "tradin' eights" with Les Paul on one side and Howard Roberts on the other. I, on the other hand, would have been sweatin' bullets the size of cantaloups! :eek:

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Dave Biller

Post by Dave Biller »

that had to have been the greatest live concert in the history of the world.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

The organiser of the advertised event could not have put together more world class jazz players of steel and 6 string guitar than they have here. What a shame the show wasn't filmed. Or was it?
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
James Lutz

Post by James Lutz »

Good Heavens! That's Curly on Buddys right, whos the steel player on his left, Julian Tharpe or Jernigan?? What an amazing show! I wonder how many new notes were invented that night...
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Jim Lutz wrote:Good Heavens! That's Curly on Buddys right, whos the steel player on his left, Julian Tharpe or Jernigan?? What an amazing show! I wonder how many new notes were invented that night...
Jim,
From the first pic, it looks like Jernigan.Worth $25 just to be in the same building where you could just hear what was going on.
Bill
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Dave A. Burley

Pictures

Post by Dave A. Burley »

Amazing.....Thanks so much for the pictues. Hopefully you will allow me to use some of them along with what I have. When the CD is released of the Cavalcade Of Guitars, a copy of the original booklet that was given at the door with pictures of each artist, a laminated copy of the original poster and ticket along with many, many pictures will be included as part of the package. I also am in the process of writing the history from A to Z about how this session was put together. You will not believe what I had to go through. I was just a poor man with a big idea, told that I could never jpull it off but I did. But it sure wasn't easy. Sleeping some of the time in my car while promoting the concert throughout Texas. I probably knocked 10 years off of my life promoting that concert.
Thanks again for the pictures and I sure do need more. Henry Ade had taken many pictures when all the pickers were on the stage during the big jam but, as I have mentioned, his widow would have to dig through thousands of pictures to find them. The one picture with all 13 on stage is worth more than a thousand words. Thanks again, Dave A. Burley
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

once again, here's curly watching everyone fall all over themselves to be in emmons' game....ha ha...hey guys...over here..i play steel too...my names chaulker...hello...

no wonder he was irritable...
Dave A. Burley

Pictures

Post by Dave A. Burley »

The first picture is of: Les Paul, Bucky Pizzarelli, Buddy Emmons, Howard Roberts, Slam Stewart and Doug Jernigan.
Dave A. Burley
Edward Helbert

Photos

Post by Edward Helbert »

Dave,
Sent you a P.M.
Ed
Edward Helbert

Post by Edward Helbert »

In the closeup of Mr. Emmons (see above), the ghost like figure over his left shoulder is Tal Farlow. Right above his shoulder is a keyhead with seven tuners -- Bucky Pizzarelli.
Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

Here is a quick retouch of the first pic to remove some of the red:

Tony Glassman

Re: Pictures

Post by Tony Glassman »

Dave A. Burley wrote:The first picture is of: Les Paul, Bucky Pizzarelli, Buddy Emmons, Howard Roberts, Slam Stewart and Doug Jernigan.
Dave A. Burley
Slam Stewart....what a "blast from the past". I used to listen to my Dad's old Slim and Slam (Slim Gaillard) back in the 1950''s . Great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cbkJjxB ... ure=relate
Dave A. Burley

Pictures

Post by Dave A. Burley »

Questio asked: of the advertised event could not have put together more world class jazz players of steel and 6 string guitar than they have here. What a shame the show wasn't filmed. Or was it?

I do remember that the mobile recording company did have tv cameras that were covering the stage and sending pictures back to the truck. I don't believe that video tape was available back then but I will attempt to find out. That would be great if it was filmed but they never did tell me.
As far as the stage placement of the musicians went:
Looking from the audience, Tal Farlow was on the far left, Curly Chalker, Les Paul on stool, Buddy Emmons, Howard Roberts, Doug Jernigan, Slam Stewart on bass and Julian Tharpe. Second row was Herb Ellis, Johnny Gore, Bucky Pizzarelli behind Les Paul and Louis Bellson in the back on the drums. 13 musicians total.
Thanks for all the reponse and the great pictures. Ron Lashley had taken many pictures but I have not been able to contact his son to find out if he has them. I know that Ron had taken pictures of the entire ensemble when they were on the stage. That picture would be great to include on the frotn of the CD. Sort of tells the story, don't you think? I would sure like to include a couple dozen pictures of the event with the CD when it is released.

How much music on the CD? There are only two jams on the CD. I don't have that information in front of me but I think that each jam was probably about 20 minutes long.

Thanks,
Dave A. Burley
Ken Byng

Re: Pictures

Post by Ken Byng »

Dave A. Burley wrote:Questio asked: of the advertised event could not have put together more world class jazz players of steel and 6 string guitar than they have here. What a shame the show wasn't filmed. Or was it?

I do remember that the mobile recording company did have tv cameras that were covering the stage and sending pictures back to the truck. I don't believe that video tape was available back then but I will attempt to find out. That would be great if it was filmed but they never did tell me.
As far as the stage placement of the musicians went:
Looking from the audience, Tal Farlow was on the far left, Curly Chalker, Les Paul on stool, Buddy Emmons, Howard Roberts, Doug Jernigan, Slam Stewart on bass and Julian Tharpe. Second row was Herb Ellis, Johnny Gore, Bucky Pizzarelli behind Les Paul and Louis Bellson in the back on the drums. 13 musicians total.
Thanks for all the reponse and the great pictures. Ron Lashley had taken many pictures but I have not been able to contact his son to find out if he has them. I know that Ron had taken pictures of the entire ensemble when they were on the stage. That picture would be great to include on the frotn of the CD. Sort of tells the story, don't you think? I would sure like to include a couple dozen pictures of the event with the CD when it is released.

How much music on the CD? There are only two jams on the CD. I don't have that information in front of me but I think that each jam was probably about 20 minutes long.

Thanks,
Dave A. Burley
Dave
The first consumer videocassette recorders were launched in 1971 (based around U-matic technology), Sony's Betamax were introduced in 1975 and JVC's VHS first materialised in 1976. So, your event could possibly have been filmed using video tape. What an exciting commercial prospect if it was indeed filmed.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,