Convention or Jamboree?

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

ray qualls

Convention or Jamboree?

Post by ray qualls »

An issue was brought up to my attention after we had our convention this past weekend. We advertised in the paper and on television and also put out fliers on our convention trying to get people who have never been to a steel convention before to come. Our convention is free to the public but a lot of people never came because it was a convention. They thought it was just for steel players only and I'm wondering if convention is the wrong word to use in advertising it. Maybe if we said Music Jamboree or something different, people wouldn't be so hesitant about coming. I know that the few people(general public) that we did have come(we still had almost a full house) was really surprised as to what was really going on and they didn't realize that the music was the main thing behind the convention. Any feedback would be welcome. Ray
Jack Dougherty

Post by Jack Dougherty »

Hi Ray

Did the ad say "free" or no charge?
"Open to all, come in and listen to...."
Email me if you can the flyer.

JD

ps: I think your right.."convention" might have scared some people off. Scotty is the only one who can get away with that. The word "Show" has a more relaxed appeal.

------------------
There is no such thing as too many steels!!
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

For what it's worth, to my ear, "convention" conjures up images of "delegates wearing badges" who probably had to preregister to get in, and maybe had to be members of some society or organization in order to participate. Also images of "trade show"-like exhibitions, booths, etc. I agree that, if you didn't know what to expect, it could be a bit intimidating to think of going to a "convention". I also agree that probably the best, most effective and welcoming word to promote would be "show". Even "Jamboree" is kind of an odd word that might make people wonder what will really be going on (unless it's a commonly used word in Kansas?) I'd go with "show" and everyone would know what to expect. Just my 2 pesos.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 06 October 2004 at 07:22 AM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Good morning Ray,
I'm with Jim on this one,he pretty much nailed it on the head and thats why I think in part our show was so sucsessful the first year,its a "SHOW" and that has a good ring to the public ear,just my two cents worth. Image
Douglas Hudson

Post by Douglas Hudson »

Well Ray I never thought of that. Maybe we do need to change to a Jamboree or Show. Good thinking buddy. I will talk to you later on this subject.
Douglas Hudson
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

For what it is worth - the OSGA's Memorial Day Convention is known by most people as "The Tulsa Show or the Oklahoma Show". Regardless of the amount of advertising we have put out, unless you have a picture or a face with the instrument some people will still ask "it that a zither"? You just have to pray for them!
John Buffington Vice President OSGA
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Guys, thanks for the responses. When I think of the word "Show", My mind goes to Branson where you're in a theater and have to sit all the time. Our (Convention-Jamboree-Show-Jam-Picnic) is in one building where people can walk around and visit and look at what the vendors have to sell. Its the people who have never been to one that we're trying to reach. I will admit tho, I think Show is better than Convention. We have advertised it as being open to the public and in our case, there's no admission. We're just trying to promote the steel guitar to the common public. How about in-door picnic???? Anyway, thanks and I'm still open to advice. Ray
Leland Ogle

Post by Leland Ogle »

I like show better than convention. Maybe music show or something along those lines. Maybe we need a scandal or something to get the locals to show up. How about musical extravaganza featuring the tabletop geetars whats got pedals on em with those hangy down things that you put your knees in. That has a ring to it. No matter what you call it, the show has been successful and will only grow larger.
Lee
jackie l harmon

Post by jackie l harmon »

Ray,I just wanted to thank you and all of you staff and band for a job well done.I know how much time you all had to put in the show.I would like to thank Louie,Fred,and Terry for letting me play bass on their set.
Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

Try...JAm/SHOW!!!
Grouchy
David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

I never cared for the word jamboree, makes me think of Cub Scouts.
Here are some options, thanks to the online thesaurus:

Festival (or Fest)
Celebration
Expo
Fair
Blow out
Carnival (uh uh)
Wingding
Frolic (I don't think so)
Jubilee

Circus, Gala, & Orgy (no, no, and NO!)

Travis Bernhardt

Post by Travis Bernhardt »

Howabout "Steel Guitar Music festival." People love going to music festivals.

-Travis