Bobby Wayne

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Carl Walden

Bobby Wayne

Post by Carl Walden »

Word going around that Bobby passed yesterday. An old friend, songwriter, singer, picker and one time stranger with Merle. Leaukemia. God rest his soul.
Buddie Hrabal

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

I got a call last night from a pretty reliable source that that Bobby Wayne passed away yesterday (9-21-09). Don't have any other details as yet but when I do I'll post.
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

I remember Bobby from back in the Modesto days when he and Dennis Hromek owned The Sandalwood , then later with Wynn Stewart and finally with Haggard. he had a cute song "Harold's Super Service" on one of Hag's albums , maybe Live at Philadelphia. My thoughts are with his family.
Derrell Stephens

Post by Derrell Stephens »

A great loss to country music. What a talent he was.
D
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

That's terrible news I knew Bobby back in 79 or 80 down at Billy Bob's while playing there he and I got to be good pals and he was an awful nice guy and great talent.

Bob
***Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow***
Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Sad news, I'd heard through the grapevine and thought I'd check the news here.

I think when Bobby Wayne, Dave Allen and Dennis Hromek worked at the aforementioned Sandalwood, they worked as the Smith Brothers, or something of the like.

Later Jimmy Collins joined them, then they went out on the road with Freddie Hart, then Wynn Stewart, as well as working the Palomino as part of Red Rhodes Detours.
Bobby had his own band the Common People, did a stint with Tony Booth at the Palomino, and of course his time as a Stranger, during which he also cut solo sides for Capitol Records.

Rest in peace Bobby

J.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Jason
your right. It was The Smith Brothers.
Sad news.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Man I hate coming to this section of the forum to hear all the sad news. God Bless Bobby!

I did a few gigs in the 80's and 90's with Bobby, Wayne Durham, Jerry Swallow, and Don Markham. I know for Bobby and the rest, it was mostly just a pick-up gig, but for me....ahhh yes!

Heavy sigh...
Buddie Hrabal

More on Bobby's Passing

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram 9-27-09. Memorial to be at a later date. View and sigh guestbook at: www.star-telegram.com/obituaries.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Richard Bass

Post by Richard Bass »

Sad news indeed. I met Bobby in the middle 60's he turned me on to Mickey Newberry. Had great times listening to him sing Newberry and many others. Had alot of fun with him and Dennis. RIP
Richard
I want to die from exhaustion not boredom.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I'm so sorry to hear this. I played steel for Bobby in the Fort Worth Stockyards six nights a week from 1981-86 or so. Working with him was the best learning experience ever. As Bobby used to say, "We do songs so old, you'll think they're new."

I've been told that I hold the record for being his longest lasting steel player. Those that knew Bobby's personality and how discriminating a musician he was, will appreciate that. ;)
Jim Smith
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Back in the mid 80's it seemed like every time I looked up Bobby was grabbing a guitar and sitting in with us at several clubs I used to work around Fort Worth.

Sad to hear he's gone.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Charlie Vaughn

Post by Charlie Vaughn »

Really hate to hear this sad news/ I played steel for Bobby many times when he came to Atlanta. He was such a great singer and so much fun to be around. RIP Bobby. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Charlie Vaughn