Curly Chalker/ Stan Hitchcock

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Gurley

Curly Chalker/ Stan Hitchcock

Post by Larry Gurley »

SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE HAS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST EVER OF CURLY CHALKER. SORRY I DON'T HAVE AN MP3 TO ----- HOPE SOMEONE HAS ONE TO POST ---- IT'S FANTASTIC !!!!!
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

Ya got that right Larry.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Someone, perhaps Scotty himself; once posted a story about how they fooled Stan at one year's convention.
I'm trying to find it but there is a lot in the archives here.

As I recall, they hid Curly off stage and with the audience in participation, they stood and applauded for Shadow of Your Smile which was then a hit for Stan.

He knew Curly's part in the recording and was hesitant to perform without him but...

As he began to do it alone, they cued Curly behind the curtains and I can only imagine the feeling Stan must have felt when he heard those familiar opening bars of Curly's intro. One of the better stories I have ever heard here on the Forum !!

Regards, Paul
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Nobody did "Shadow" like Curley, except maybe Johnny Cox which came really close. This is probably my favorite song of all time. I probably have 15 0r 20 different recordings of it, on steel, guitar, piano, and sax. BTW, Fred Justice does a great version of it on E9th, even everyone knows it's a C6th song LOL. Someone forgot to tell Fred. :)
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Michael Weaver

Post by Michael Weaver »

I have that disc, and would be happy to share that song with everyone....if only I knew how to do it!!!!!
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Johhny Cox and Stan Hitchcock
performed that song at Curlys
funeral and there wasn't a dry
eye in the parlor.
Johnny is one of the few, or maybe
the only one to have completely
absorbed Curlys style. There's a
few that can play it for a few bars
or a couple choruses, but Johnny
can carry on with it all night.
Johnny played bass in Curlys trio
and would sometimes get on Curlys
steel while Curly played bass -
And if ya weren't lookin', ya
wouldn't even notice the swap!
~Russ
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

I was working a sit down job in Ft. Lauderdale in the late '70's when Cal Smith was booked into the club. Johnny Cox was working for Cal and he had Chalker's green Sho-Bud (one of the guitars Curly had played on the Wilburn Bros show) We met at the club day of the show and Johnny proceeded to play most of the "Counterpoint" LP note for note. He said was Curly's neighbor at that time. That night Johnny and Cal's band opened with the "Counterpoint" chart of "Gentle on my Mind." Powerful music and powerful steel players.
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

I sure would love to hear Curly and Stan's rendition of "Shadow". I haven't been able to find a copy as of yet.
Respectfully,
david burr
Michael Weaver

Post by Michael Weaver »

Dave,
E-mail me your mailing address, and I will send you a copy.
Michael Weaver

Post by Michael Weaver »

Dave,
The other option would be to go to.....hitchcockcountry.com, click on Hitchcock Country Store, then click on CDs, and at the bottom, click on Country-Stan Hitchcock recordings from 1972-1976.
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Thanks for the very generous offer Michael! Now that I see it's available on CD, I'll purchase a copy.
Respectfully,
david burr
b0b

Post by b0b »

It's on YouTube now https://youtu.be/-Eg2h7VP7pM.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Mercy Me. Thanks b0b.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I have it on an album, remember those? Also one of my all time favorites and why I wanted to play pedal steel. That song and solo sends me down memory lane.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Curly played a nice break on "Danny Boy" on one of Charlie McCoy's albums. It is very similar to his break on "Shadow" with Stan Hitchcock.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I listened to Stan and Curly do "Shadow" yesterday. It was so good that my wife came and sat down to listen. We met Stan a few years ago and got enjoy him in person. Thanks to Ron and Leslie Elliott!
Larry Gurley

More great curly

Post by Larry Gurley »

More great curly. Dick curless live at truck drivers jamboree wheeling w. VA. Also Don Gibson sings country gold.both great albums.