Translation please!!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Morgan Scoggins

Post by Morgan Scoggins »

James,
To the best of my knowledge, The JB Steel Guitar Course is sold only by Scotty's Music Store in St Louis, Mo. The price is about $100.00 m/l and well worth it. I bought the book & tapes several months ago and am about half way thru the course, but the last part is about note reading and music theory, so I wont have to worry about that part.
Some of the songs are kind of lame, but most of the arrangements are full blown professional and the kind of material you just cant find anywhere else.The best songs are "Sand"," Rainbows In Paridise"," Sweet Someone", and 'Steelin" The Blues".
Last edited by Morgan Scoggins on 18 Sep 2009 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Shoot low boys, the're ridin' Shetlands"
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Tony Prior wrote:I always thought "Ua" was an Italian word.
"No-"YOU ALLLL" is- Italian ,Gotcha. :o MIraglia is as Italian as you will ever get. Offended-no but I'll think of something. >:-) Joe
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Doug beat me to it. It's titled in Hawaiian, and a fun play on words in English.

And Baz has the correct pronunciation. It's true Hawaiian, not pidgin. Note the capitalization - pidgin is NOT an official language, although its use on the island is fairly widespread. It also varies from island to island,and even in certain communities.

And you not like what I say when I talk story, I get one baseball bat and broke your face!

:wink:

Sidebar - I have native Hawaiian blood; mom was born there and came "mainland side" after Pearl Harbor. When we were kids, she'd yell at us in pidgin! I used to be halfway-fluent but I'm really rusty now.

Speaking native Hawaiian is one of the most challenging language-learning experiences of all time. But listening to someone speak it is like being in a trance - it just flows....
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
basilh

Post by basilh »

James Fleming wrote:Good Day,

Can anyone fill me in on where to find Jerry Byrds course for 6 string Lap Steel?

I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but I am Technologically Challenged when it comes to searching this site.

Tnks,

Jim
An interesting question Jim..

It's for sale on Scotty's site, Almost impossible for the adroit to find, BUT if you're technologically challenged it may be nigh on impossible..

What I find remarkable is that Scotty's Course and Tab are PROMINENTLY displayed on Page 1 of his site whilst you have to "Jump through hoops" to find Jerry's and even when found you have to E-Mail the shop for a list of singular tabs. I have found the E-Mail from this organisation to be less than manned on a regular basis (somewhat akin to taping up one's letter box)
Just look at what you have to do to even FIND the order page for the course.

Step1.

Step2.

Step3.

Step4.

Step5.

Each and every one of those steps is a completely new page that has to load

A petition sent to Scotty's Music asking for the easier availability of the Jerry Byrd material should be instigated. Tell every steel player you know to E-Mail (No maybe that's a bad idea) well, Telephone or write, asking for the material to be more easily accessible.

Basil