Dave Easley - ISGC 2009's Highlight!!

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Brad Sarno

Dave Easley - ISGC 2009's Highlight!!

Post by Brad Sarno »

I missed Dave in the Jazz room, but on the big stage this evening, he really brought variety, creativity, virtuosity, beauty, sincerity, surprise, risk taking, great tone, fire, spirit, and overall just a well needed freshness to the event.

And with his outrageous and convincing Indian sitar emulation (along with tabla rhythm played from a looper pedal) made this year a TRULY "International" convention.

So many wonderful players playing so many of the same classic, standard songs and styles over and over all weekend, while Dave puts a bold twist on it that stands out as what was unquestionably the musical highlight of the weekend for me and probably for a few other souls lucky enough to have been there to witness it as well.

Brad
Ronnie Miley

dave

Post by Ronnie Miley »

Dave is an amazing talent,got to watch him on both shows,had the pleasure too share the stage with dave many times back in louisana,he played together again on c6th and sounded like he played it on E9th,way too go Dave!!! Thanks RPM.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Brad, I agree completely. Dave's set was a unique experience. What a player, and what a breath of fresh air! His "sitar" tune was a real treat.

As always, it was great to see you and Auset there as well.

Be well,

Jim
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

I had the pleasure of hearing the amazing Dave Easley in the jazz room and could not get to the main hall set. Dang. I did have breakfast with Dave on Saturday and he mentioned that he keeps his E9 neck tuned in an Indian raga tuning for a regular Friday night gig at an Indian restaurant in New Orleans. They actually bill him as a sitar player!
TC
Jim Stahlhut

Post by Jim Stahlhut »

I played with Dave in the Jazz Room and I played with Dave on the main stage. He was amazing in both settings. He has so many styles down it's hard to fathom. I love playing with him because he's in it improvising every second, I love the freedom. GO DAVE!!!!

Jim
Rob Schlette

Post by Rob Schlette »

The two Dave Easley sets were the musical highlights for me as well. I'd go just about anywhere to hear Dave play. Bob Deboo was smokin in the Jazz Room set.
Don Lanier

Dave Easley

Post by Don Lanier »

I had to say I didnt know Dave and my guys were on the Intercom saying you have to see this gear and setup, I walked to the stage and was surprised at the collection of gear Dave had, a BOGEN amp head, an Oyster shell, an Alligatro tooth, and some Really wild Socks, Dave wasnt a fashion maven for sure, But MAN when this cat set down to Play we all dropped our Jaws and said Holy Batman, He weaved into Eastern Medleys, All man Bros, Jazz Licks, and Sitar Indian music, then a Standard....Dave was an Impressive player and Im a fan now for sure, Scotty Put this guy on ealier on the Big Show he deserves it. The ELectric Indian music reminded me of days gone by from San Francisco, Nice Job Dave....
Bill Stafford

Dave E

Post by Bill Stafford »

David has been a standout in our Deep South Show since we started, I am so glad that he is now receiving this International attention he so well deserves. David has learned his instrument, his music and his heart and this talent is recognized immediately by all who are lucky enough to be in his proximity. He is one of the very, very few whose playing is recognized these days.
Bill Stafford
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

Here's a picture I grabbed of Dave.

Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Donna Dodd wrote:Here's a picture I grabbed of Dave.

Was he the one you were tellin' me about, Donna?

Brett
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

Yes, Brett. Sorry I couldn't think of his name yesterday. :)
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Jim Stahlhut

Post by Jim Stahlhut »

I've got to say one more time I love playing with Dave. You can never tell what's coming next, he's always in the moment. He certainly inspires me. Hopefully in the Fall Dave and I will be playing in Denver and around Colorado.

Jim
Corky Tittle

Post by Corky Tittle »

I had the pleasure of playng some drums behind Dave in the Excel room, he definitely brought out the old jazz player in me, hoping some day I can hook up wiyh him for a set or two in New Orleans, he not only is an incredible player, but also has really good karma, just plain and simple a good person. Thanks Dave
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

I listened to Dave for awhile in the Excel room. Not only did he play some great jazz, but at one point he broke out into a gospel song - which he sang and played.

A unique and super versatile steel guitarist.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Bill Stafford

David

Post by Bill Stafford »

When David plays, you know who it is-and now, he is the proud owner of a new EXCEL. Glad to see all this well deserved recognition develop for him.
Bill Stafford
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

There's just too much going on at ISGC, I would love to have seen Dave in the Excel room. And now for the burning question, does his new Excel have the famous knee string on it? :)
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

I didn't see the famous knee string. I suspect that Mitsuo replaced it with a pedal or lever. Apparently it has more strings than his old axe, as he commented that the string spacing was less that he was accustomed to. I couldn't have told by listening to him play. It was a great sounding horn, as are all Excels.
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Dave's set on the big stage consisted of a variety of styles. I hope that Dave doesn't object to my posting a snippet of the first 30 seconds of his set. This is "Got My Mo-Jo Workin'" -- a sort of funky blues style.

Dave Easley Sample -- ISGC 2009
Bill Stafford

David E

Post by Bill Stafford »

David's playing gets every ones mojo working as you hear in this sample. A great player here and true to his own heart and soul. When this guy plays, every one listens. Thanks, David, for enlightening all the folks at Scotty's show. You enlightened ours here at DSSG many years ago and we are all so proud of you.
I have just been patiently waiting for your light to shine on all the rest of our steel guitar world.
See you soon too.
Bill Stafford
David Easley

Post by David Easley »

Thanks, everybody for saying such nice things and for staying up for such a late set! I have to admit I was a little bit nervous about doing the sitar bridge slide thing at the convention but it was such a nice audience I thought why not? (Actually, they know at India 4U in Mandeville where I play Fridays that it's a pedal steel I'm playing but I usually play solo and when they asked me to put together a trio for Indian Independance Day they wanted a picture for the poster and I couldn't get them one fast enough so they just said "Sitar Music" on the poster. I hope nobody was too disappointed. I know they weren't disappointed in the food. I think it's some of the best I've eaten.)

Dave E.
Dale Thomas

Post by Dale Thomas »

I too was fascinated be his improvisations, both chordal and single note. He takes you right out there on the edge. Thanks for the inspiration Dave.
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I was fortunate to play with Dave in a duo context for several gigs the last time he was in the Pacific Northwest. He has amazing creativity, stunning chops, and is a great guy to hang out with.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

David...are you still playing on Fridays at India 4 U in Mandeville??? What times?
Take care my friend....
David Easley

Post by David Easley »

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm sorry I can't play India 4 U in Mandeville LA anymore. Their house voltage is low. I'm not sure what it is but it's definitely well below 110. I still think it's a great place to eat! But, since I use tube amps, I couldn't get enough voltage out of the outlet they had for me to use. Tube amps have step-up transformers and, if they don't start with 110 they can't step up high enough to power the tubes.

You can still get a charge out of the Malabar. I never go above medium spicy. They changed their rating system while I was there. I always ordered medium and one day, while I was playing, I heard a customer say, "This is South Louisiana. You don't have to rate the stuff as if you're in Des Moines." The very next week I ordered medium as usual and was in for a jolt. I'd definitely play there again if they'd get the electricity fixed.

Dave E.
Don Lanier

Dave Easley Return

Post by Don Lanier »

Dave

I hope youll be back in the big room with us, looking forward to the Cat in the hat blowing some Eastern music as well as whatever comes thru his fingers, you were a joy and we enjoyed that, I hope you can do more, see ya soon