Message from Buddy Charleton

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Wanda Cooper

Post by Wanda Cooper »

Such genuine and overwhelming devotion!! I know Buddy & Kay will be deeply moved by your love and concern. Buddy is still feeling just great. I understand that there is new medication now that helps alleviate chemo side effects & it appears to be working for him. Next treatment will be at the end of June.

Buddy has been playing in our church for several years now and so far, that is still ongoing. He plans to continue with practice this week and has lessons scheduled also.

I will print out your comments and encouragements and prayer offerings and give to them. Thanks SO MUCH and God bless y'all!

Wanda
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

As great a legend as could ever be. One of my very favorites of all time.
Bless you my great buddy, get this behind you.

Bobbe Seymour
David Thornhill

Post by David Thornhill »

/Back years ago when I was playing for Loretta and Buddy was with Ernest, we did a lot of shows together. Lots of time Buddy and I would play some of the troubadors instrumentals between shows. I told Buddy that if the job as lead guitar ever became available with Ernest to try to get me the job. I loved Ernest, but I was more interested in playing the duets with Buddy. Buddy told Ernest when a lead job was needed that I wanted the job. But Ernest told Buddy that if I worked for anyone except Loretta that He would hire me. So I never got to play in the troubador band. That is a big regret I have even today. Buddy get well soon. Your friend, Dave Thornhill
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

I pray that the Lord grant peace and health to Buddy and his family. Buddy, your tone and touch were major factors in pointing me toward trying to find 'that sound'. I'm still making an attempt to find that sound, an attempt that has lasted almost 40 years. Words cannot express my gratitude. God bless you.
Ellis Miller

Post by Ellis Miller »

Many years ago an old fiddle player (he was 32) I was working with played a Texas Troubadors album for me. My musical course changed immediately. I was fascinated, amazed etc etc with Buddy and Leon and my 40+ year love affair with Country and Western Swing music was born. (My rock and roll career came to a screeching halt.)

Mr. Charlton has had a profound positive impact on Country Music. Probably much more than he realizes.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
Ellis Miller
Don't believe everything you think.
http://www.ellismillermusic.com
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

Wanda, Thanks for letting us all know about Buddy. He is a great talent and a great guy as well. I just wish I could be around him more. The times we have worked together will always be a tresure in my memorey bank. Buddy you will be in our prayers my friend. Loveya pal, Bobby
Don Davis

Post by Don Davis »

Buddy, So sorry to hear the news of your illness.You are in my Prayers. I will always remember the times seeing you with all the Troubadors at Austin's Nashville Opry at the Lake Of The Ozarks back in the early 60's. What great memories. Don
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

Get well Buddy. You are in my prayers.
David Berry

You are in my thoughts and prayers

Post by David Berry »

I've known Buddy for about five and a half years now. In March of this year, I took my twenty-fifth steel lesson from him. When I travel to Orange, VA from my home (east of Richmond, VA) I take 2-hour lessons. They always fly by so fast and I always leave feeling more confident and really pumped up. His patience, teaching technique, coaching, and mentoring have made me the player I am today.

I pray the Lord's mercies on him as he heals from the treatments. Buddy and Kay Lee, you all are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and know that all of us out here in steel land are thinking about you! We're all better players (and people) from knowing you. Your student and friend, David Berry
Mickey Adams

From Texas

Post by Mickey Adams »

Prayers from Texas for one of my biggest heroes, and his family...
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

A legendary steel player. Buddy, best wishes for a full recovery.

Here is an oil painting my brother did of Buddy. The original image is from a Rick Price photo taken at the ET Record Shop in the '70s.

It hangs in my music room:

Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Hey Buddy, keep the faith, you're in Great Hands. Our thoughts and Prayers, are with you.

Don & Helen
Tim Stanton

Post by Tim Stanton »

I had a lesson with Buddy on July 1. He looked pretty good - he took off his hat to show me some hair loss but his great mustache and beard were intact. His voice sounded a tad weak. This was his first lesson he'd been able to give in awhile and I think he was really happy to be back with a student.

Buddy is such a great guy and the best teacher I've ever had in anything I've ever studied. Wish he'd been my math teacher in high school ...
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

We want to join in with you all and pray for Buddy too!

Buddy your one of my all time heroes of the steel guitar. I can't think of the C6th neck without recalling all of your fine steel work. Your "Almost To Tulsa" song blew my mind.

GOD bless you and your family!

Terry and Lisa Wood
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

He's in my Music Room also.
A monster player,stylist and inspiration
to many including me. I wish him a successful
recovery.

Custom Tabs Various Tunings
Courses Lap Steel, Pedal Steel
Frank Harris

buddy

Post by Frank Harris »

A thousand thanks for all you have done and will do in the steel guitar business. Get well soon ,my prayers for you are always there.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

My prayers of thanks go to God every time I do a gig for what Mr Charleton taught or tried to teach me thirty years ago.

My prayers of thanks for his example in the things I am going through that are similar though (except for an operation) are much milder than "chemo".

Hormone Blockade was devastating, but was lifted for now. Prayers to God, Music, Pets, Loved ones and friends got me through it.

There are MANY of us who are more thankful for Bud C, his music, and his example of playing AND living, than he will ever know.

Thanks to to Kay Lee. No words to express what I feel.

Sincerely

Eric West.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Thinking of you buddy.
A.K.A Chappy.
Ray Uhl

Message from Buddy Charleton

Post by Ray Uhl »

Buddy, as a faithful admirer of yours, I recall seeing you with Ernest Tubb and the Texas Trubador's when he appeared at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, KS., during the '60's. What a band!!

You have the greatest healing components available, your faith that God is with you and will heal you. He promises to be with us at all times, and He's definitely with you and your family now.
Mike Kirkley

Buddy

Post by Mike Kirkley »

Wanda, thank you for passing this news on...from all of us here in Australia and New Zealand, I think I can speak for all of us, we all are thinking of and praying for Buddy to get through this quickly. God Bless!!

Mike Kirkley
Sydney
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Many prayers for a truly legendary picker.

As far as steel pickers go, I think Buddy has the coolest stage presence of all time.

Get well soon!
Katie Smith

Post by Katie Smith »

Sending prayers up..
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

Our prayers go out to one of my hero's and his wife. Our Lord will surely walk with them as they go through these trying times.
God Bless them both,
...Roy and Barbara
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy
Augustus Odell

Post by Augustus Odell »

God Bless You Buddy, and may you get better soon.
Ron McNuss

Prayers for a Speedy Recovery!

Post by Ron McNuss »

Dear Buddy and Kay Lee,

My thoughts and prayers are with you both during these challenging times. May our dear heavenly Father be with you, and comfort you, and bless you both with a speedy recovery!

I remember the days back around 1982 at Oxen Hill Music, when you helped me so much to get started on an addiction that has continued down to this day. Sharing you God-given gifts and talents in such a way was true blessing, and centainly tells me and others what a wonderful person you are! Thank you so much!

God bless you and be with you always!

Ron McNuss