Legs for old Supro?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Daniel Foster

Legs for old Supro?

Post by Daniel Foster »

Hi all,

I just got a black and white Supro Airliner(or Comet?) for $299 on Ebay. It has sockets for legs, but no legs. Does anyone have any idea if replacement legs are out there? The pickup sounds great! I had to tweak the pole heights quite a bit, but I think I have it pretty well balanced out now. The pickup is LOUD but it’s very clear and fat at the same time. Very nice.

The only thing I don’t like about it is that the pickup cover is missing. I keep hitting the edge of the pickup with my right hand and it’s pretty sharp. I guess I’ll scour the internet for a pickup cover, as well.

Thanks!
Mark Bracewell

Post by Mark Bracewell »

Ooooh, you got a sweet deal I think. If it's the black and white one with silver sparkly winged fret markers, that's an Airline or Jet Airliner - see here:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... line+supro

I too am in need of legs, so if you find a source, speak up!

I think I can make you a cover if you can't find one and you have the same model I have - I'm going to be making a similar cover for a different guitar shortly, so I'm willing to give it a try.
Charlie Vegas

Post by Charlie Vegas »

I'd say an OK deal not a sweet a deal considering it's missing parts. I had to buy three of these Supros to make one good one.

I've got a extra set of legs but they will be sold with one of the two incomplete ones I have.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I'm not sure if these have the same socket threading as the Fender steel guitars, but if they do, Bobbe Seymour sells replacement legs. Also check with Fender/Rhodes electric piano repair and supply stores such as this store.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Daniel Foster

Post by Daniel Foster »

Thanks y’all. I’m not sure if Fender legs will fit, either, but now I’m kicking myself for selling an old Champ with legs. Thanks for the links, Brad.

Mark, yep, that’s the exact same one I have. If you can make a cover, I’d be VERY interested. The edge of that pickup is *sharp*. :)
Michael Lee Allen

Post by Michael Lee Allen »

DELETED
Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's good to know - thanks!

You might also try a camera store to see if they have any tripod legs that would fit.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Daniel Foster

Post by Daniel Foster »

Thanks, again. A fellow forumite sent me a link to BSG Steel Guitars who make repro legs for fair prices.