Dallas vs St Louis

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Richard Gonzales

Dallas vs St Louis

Post by Richard Gonzales »

If I could only attend one of the conventions, should it be Dallas or St Louis.
What are the pros and cons of each.
Earl Yarbro

Post by Earl Yarbro »

Richard, Both are great. St. Louis might be a little bigger, The Harvey hotel in Dallas is handier in my opinion. Free parking on the premisis and across the street from DFW airport. Bands, steelers, venders about equal. I'm only 80 miles from Dallas so I like that. You won't be disappointed either way.
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

If it says anything, I've been to 13 Texas shows in a row...this year was my first trip to St Louis since '95. The reasons are many and they have nothing to do with Texas being an hour closer..A. the food options and the price...B. free parking..C. The Stockyards and Pearls...D. relative location to the Airport...E. "On The Border"..F. more convenient 'load in '...G. the biggest reason will get me Tarred and Feathered..better not go there. All in all, for my taste, you cannot beat Texas...face it, when you take Lloyd, Buddy, Paul and ?? out of the mix, you'll get the same players in Texas with a "back up" back that understands swing.This opinion was offered free of compensation and/or duress.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry King on 09 September 2004 at 11:38 AM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Larry
Thanks, and we're releasing the hostages. What address do I send the check to?

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Richard, the answer is very simple! If you want to go during the first part of the year, go to Dallas. If you want to go the last part of the year, go to St. Louis. They're both great conventions and all of the conventions are unique in their own kind of way. Just a fun way to meet people and enjoy good music. Keep on Steelin'
Ray Qualls(President-KSGA)
Richard Gonzales

Ray- Thank you for your reply. I can go to either one, but only have a budget to attend one.Which is the best bang for the buck?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Richard Gonzales on 09 September 2004 at 02:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Everyone should go to St. Louis at least one time for the Convention. I have been 3 times and have enjoyed it every time I have been. You will have a better chance at seeing more name players than you would at the Texas show. There are more vendors in St. Louis than Texas therefore you are able to see more product. I usually go to the Texas show every year for at least one night and seeing and meeting people on this forum is a highlight for me. The playing is top notch as well, just not as many big name players. I wish I could go to the Oklahoma show and some of the other shows just to enjoy the playing and meeting people. Of course the Dallas area is only one hour south of me so driving is no problem.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Shees... here I thought somebody was taking bets on a football game...
Richard Gonzales

Does Dallas and St Louis have football teams?

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Richard Gonzales on 09 September 2004 at 04:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Buddy Emmons played the Dallas show last year! Image Image Image
ebb

Post by ebb »

here is a lineup without even leaving the state
tom morrel
reece anderson
dicky overbey
randy reinhard
jim loessberg
gary carpenter
marty muse
johnny and joan cox
ricky davis
herb steiner
bobby flores
plus a bunch more that i don't know being out of state
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I would like to add JR. Knight's name to the list of great Texas players. Also Albert Talley, Janet Lynn, Jim Evans, and a couple of Jody's. Jody.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

... and Bud Carter and Bob B. Bowman, and Cindy Cashdollar, and Roger Edgington, and, and...<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 10 September 2004 at 04:30 AM.]</p></FONT>
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I might add that Weldon Myrick is from Texas as well. I do not know for sure that he has played the show though he was scheduled one time but had to cancel for health problems. Weldon Myrick, now there is a super picker for sure.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

Hands down - Texas for me!
John Buffington
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

If I could do one show and I did this year , It would be Dallas hands down. This year was my first time to Dallas and we had a great time, My wife liked Dallas a 100% better than St Louis, for all the reasons stated above. The folks in Dallas know who to treat people, and they put on a great show.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Both have their plusses. I wouldn't miss either one. Dallas is more casual and intimate. St. Louis is bigger and more intense of a production. Both are jam packed with the worlds greatest music.

Brad Sarno

Larry King

Post by Larry King »

The answer is yes.....Weldon has played the Texas show.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

So if I come to Dallas in 2005 will it be okay with Reece and everyone if I wear that new Washington Redskin's t-shirt I'm buying in January-- the one about being SB Champs?

Seriously considering Dallas this year. I've never been. I'll do this in addition to, not in place of Scotty's.

(JK about that t-shirt. Joe Gibbs will probably need at least 2 years to get there.) Image

------------------
HagFan

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Page on 10 September 2004 at 06:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Much has been said about the backup musicians at the TSGA Jamboree and how they understand western swing. True enough, these guys are all my pals and longtime musical colleagues. But praising them should not be at the expense of the band in St. Louis.

Anytime Bobby Caldwell, Ben Brogdon, Roy Rosetta, and Jimmy Queen get onstage with you... well, if the music isn't swinging, I'd look to the nut behind the rear apron for the problem.

I've only played the TX show, the ISGC, and the Oklahoma show, so I can't and won't comment on the bands at other venues. I'm sure they're great, even if they haven't played much Bob Wills style music. But the guys at ISGC are every bit as good as the fellers we have in Dallas. IMHO, of course, but it's an educated HO.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

Thanks Herbster for the nice compliment about our St. Louis staff band. Having the privilege of being a member of both the Dallas and St. Louis staff bands I'd like to second your comment. Both bands are loaded with very talented musicians who will compliment each and every steel guitarist at whatever level or type of music he or she chooses to play. From a comparison stand point, the Dallas band has a bit more of a "western swing" flavor, but the guys in St. Louis are equally qualified to play western swing. Just my observation for what it's worth !!!!!
....Roy

------------------
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy

Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

A bunch of us Rhode Islanders go to St. Louis every year and have been talking seriously about going to the Texas show next year for a change of pace, but we're afraid we might get lost since you've got ranches bigger than our whole state!
Seriously, is there a noticeable difference in the music we will hear there?
Would a performer tend to play a different set at the Texas show than he would at STL?
Sidney Malone

Post by Sidney Malone »

From a spectators standpoint, I've been to the Dallas show every year since about 1995 and to the St. Louis show about 4 times since '95. Both shows are great and are full of talented musicians.

I tend to favor the Texas show because it appears to me to be a more "friendly" atmosphere, for lack of a better word. This I'm sure due in part to the smaller crowd and of course we're just friendly anyway. Image

I also notice there is more Western Swing music played which is a plus for me. The sound is usually consistently good. I'm sure the main room is easier to do sound in than in St. Louis.

There are many more places to eat, of all kinds, which are easily accessible. Plus the quality of the food can't be beat since it is in Texas, my opinion of course.

There's probably more "name" players in St. Louis but that doesn't diminish the talent in Dallas at all. I think the quality of music overall is just as good in Dallas with a little more of a swing flavor.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Tony, both shows are great, with amazing backup bands. You'll get more regional players (also fabulous) at the Dallas show, but many of the better-known players play both shows and tend to do what they do best, and not vary the material much from one show to the next. Oh, you might hear a few more renditions of "San Antonio Rose" and fewer of "Mansion on the Hill" in Dallas, but otherwise, the repertoires would be fairly similar. (For example, Jernigan is gonna play OBS and a bunch of bebop no matter where he goes!)

Of course, the annual Saturday night dance featuring Tom Morrell and the Timewarp Tophands is an experience not to be missed and definitely warrants a trip to Dallas at some time.
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

That's it...Texas, here we come!