About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

R Robichaud

Post by R Robichaud »

We are blessed with some great steele guitar players. Buddy, John, Paul, Jimmy, Tommy, and many others both players and teachers. In my opinion, the #1 player in the world is David Hartley. I have listened to all the greatest players in the world and not only does David play the steele guitar the way we love to hear it, but he shares.....Bob
Hook Moore

Re: #1

Post by Hook Moore »

the #1 player in the world is David Hartley.....Bob
Thats a strong statement..
Last edited by Hook Moore on 2 Sep 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

OK! One vote for David Hartley.

I vote Buddy Emmons.

Actually Buddy is the number one. I think we should be voting for who's number two.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Bob, you sure know how to drop a bomb in among the great steel players. I think your gonna get hit with some of the flack. God! I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

R R, good thought provoking thought; very subjective however :) . I must put Lloyd & Herby & Doug & Joe & Bobbe up there with the list of those you mentioned, altho I would not go so far as to say the worlds #1. ..
David has just recently become a steelhold word, so to speak, and one of my favorites. Maybe he is just not as busy or sought after as the other greats (yet), and has more time to share. All those others mentioned above, I know, altho they don't know me. And have found they everyone are as sharing with their knowledge as is practical for them to do so, given their time and access. 8)
I have never found a better group of people anywhere at anytime, than steelers.
God Bless 'em all
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

THERE IS NO ONE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION: WHO IS #1

This is a subjective judgment. Why do we insist on elevating one who has shared with us their wonderful gift above others?

(BTW, I vote for Buddy, but that's just my opinion)
:D :lol:
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Really don't think there is a number one,It's all a matter of opinion,Like myself I would vote for Curly,but again that's [just my opinion ] I realize the GREATNESS of Buddy also.One of my favorites that I listen to more than anybody is Bobbe,I LOVE the way he plays,again just MY opinion. We don't need to get in an argument about who's BEST. Just enjoy all these GREAT pickers and don't compare them to each other. YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Why does everything have to be a competition about who's best? There's hundreds of great players out there, and each has something to set them apart from the others. I've heard some popular players play some things that I thought sucked, and I've heard some no-name players play things that would put them all to shame.
Charles Davidson

You got that right Rick. Hell I even like your picking. One of my favorites of yours is your arr. of [ASHOKEN FAREWELL.] Be waiting for my check in the mail for this plug. Like the old gal at the VFW told me the other night,I'm cheap,but I AIN'T free. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Charles Davidson wrote:You got that right Rick. Hell I even like your picking.
Charles - Now that's pushing it to the extreme. There's a lot of folks that would consider my music to be "noise", (but don't tell anybody). :lol:
Johnny Thomasson

Ashokan Farewell?

Post by Johnny Thomasson »

Been holding out on me Rick?

8)
Johnny Thomasson
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Larry Bell wrote:This is a subjective judgment. Why do we insist on elevating one who has shared with us their wonderful gift above others?
They probably think it's a compliment. (Or maybe they just haven't been around too much?)

:lol:
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Unfortunately a 'virtual' career (ie: one created on the internet) is not quite the same as a 'real' career (IE: one created by actually playing with real artists)

:lol:
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I like the expression, "I've never heard better". I've used it a few times refering to different musicians. I don't think that any two play exactly alike and that's the beauty of this instrument. I am always grateful when a fantastic musician shares his knowledge through written instruction and tablature. IMO, David keeps coming up with amazing videos, music, tab and IMO, It doesn't get any better. Let's all enjoy and have a good time!
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I've decided not to comment, I tried but it ain't going well...
Sonny Priddy

Players

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Don;t forget Lloyd Green. Tommy white And More i Can think of. SONNY.
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

I agree with Rick!!! There is a world full of steelers. Some, do not play as well as others, but we all create music. Some have fantastic sounds, and some have a simple bare bones sound. So what. Music is in the ears of each individual. I could go on, and on, but I think I made my comment. THERE IS NO #1.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

I think David is a good player and a nice guy so he can be Bob's #1.

But, I'll pick my own. :)
Mitch Ellis

Post by Mitch Ellis »

And all this time I thought that I was #1. Dang! :D
Mitch
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Buddy is my #1.
Jerry
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

THERE IS NO ONE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION: WHO IS #1

It's been said before (can't remember by whom): at this level, there's only difference.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Number 1
Charles Davidson

Yeah Rick,but it's a JOYFUL noise,Was listening to you today,Want to say Rick has some GREAT stuff check him out. I'm known for spreading a lot of BS.BUT I'm serious about this. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I thought everybody knew that Jerry Garcia was the greatest pedal steel player that ever lived. I read it on the internet.
Warren Cohran

Best

Post by Warren Cohran »

I think Chet's older brother Moe Atkens is the best steel player I have heard.