ZB question help

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stewart Campbell

ZB question help

Post by Stewart Campbell »

Hi folks
Some time ago I acquired an ZB s 10 sudent model #301s in poor shape. Over time i have restored it ie. balanced all the pulls / levers etc. added an F lever (now 3 + 3 ,added an alloy keyhead and it now plays well with a tone to die for, it also holds the tunning well . My problem is that I cant get the three pedals to adjust low enough for comfort ie. 2-5 inches off the floor is to high for me. My question are extenders availible for the pull rods?.
Information gleaned from the forum have helped me with the above ajustments Thanks.
Stewart Campbell.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Forum member Ben Elder has extenders on the ZB that he has for sale in Instruments section, I do believe.

He's in hospital for a bit tho, so you may want to wait before sending him a Query. Perhaps Mr. D.Hodge could shed some light on this subject ?
Stewart Campbell

ZB extenders

Post by Stewart Campbell »

Hi Stan
Thanks very much for your reply .i have since contacted a local Tech. who will make me a set of pedal rod extenders, and again thanks all the best to you and yours across the pond.
Stewart Campbell.
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

I was thinking of pulling some extenders off that ZB I was trying to sell before this limiting medical situation hit. But I was going to hold onto them. They were hand made by Jim Palenscar and are more like 3".
"Gopher, Everett?"
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I simply went to a hardware store, bought some 10-32 couplers and 1 1/4" 10-32 bolts. Cut the heads off the bolts, screwed them into the couplers and the couplers onto the rods. Then it's just a matter of attaching the ball ends to the bolts.

It took me about 20 minutes, other than the time to drive to the store! I was going to add lock nuts, but just used a drop of superglue at each end of the coupler - they'll come apart fine with a light touch on a wrench but not by themselves.

There are a LOT of workarounds using normal hardware. I'm in my local hardware store (not Lowes or HD) every weekend buying couplers, nylon posts, allen screws, springs; heck, one of my first Fenders had cables and turnbuckles from the place.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional