Lace Alumitone Pickup?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Chris Battis

Lace Alumitone Pickup?

Post by Chris Battis »

Any opinions? Comparisons? I'm building a lap steel from scratch.

Chris
Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Bobbe Seymour has them and wrote a bit about what they can do. I am impressed and might go that route myself.
Chuck Snider

Post by Chuck Snider »

For what it's worth, there have been a number of folks playing pedal steel that have installed them and LOVE the sound. I would try one myself but my pedal steel is a twelve string, and I could be wrong but I don't think they fit a 12 string at this point. But so far, everyone I've seen that tried one, fell in love with it immediately.

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Forum member James Kerr put one in his amazing New Yorker replica. Here's a link to a pic and youtube clip from another thread (in case you missed it):

http://tinyurl.com/n8l6kt
Jim Konrad

Post by Jim Konrad »

This here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI8sMJVj ... re=related
Tells how and why,,,

:D
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Just a factual correction---Alumitones are available for 12 strings. How they fit the cavity is on a case by case (maker by maker) basis requiring some pre-ordering homework. I totally dig mine on PSG. Sorry for the diversion....
Daniel Foster

Post by Daniel Foster »

They seem to sound great and also look great. The "Country Bucker" one would be very cool in a home build.

Chris Battis

Post by Chris Battis »

Thanks, all who responded. I'm leaning in the direction of the Alumitone, which may just give me the fat sound I'm after.

Chris
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

The site doesn't show these available for anything beyond 6 strings, unless I'm missing something.
I'd like them in 8s and 10s.
Jon, how did you get the info for 12s?
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Ron, they are using the bass version Alumitone on the 8's and 10's.
http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com ... _bars.html
Ron Whitfield

Ah, yes...

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Thanx Tom!
I had considered that initially and imediately dismissed it while forgetting it's a 'bar' type instead of poles.
I'm happy!

I also understand that no matter what style of Alumitone PU, they are all the same. Just sized differently to accomodate various needs/wants.
Gary Stevenson

Post by Gary Stevenson »

I have a humbucker style Alumitone coming.Its going on #15 that is almost ready.hope it sounds as good as the reviews!
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

I replaced a pair of TrueTones with Alumitones in my Carter D10 and they are just superb.

Same clarity and the magnificent definition string-to-string as the TrueTones, but absolutely no hum at all. Very pleased with the results, and they were very easy to install. Mine came from Carter Steel Guitars.

Overall I am very happy with them. I think they'd perform just as well on a lap-steel. They look very distinctive as well, if styling is an issue.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.