Which Lap gets the best Jazz tone?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ryan Barwin

Post by Ryan Barwin »

I've got a '60s National Dynamic...not a guitar known for its mellow jazz tone, and it's only got one pickup, but with the tone pot rolled back, I can get a really nice jazz tone through my Fender Deluxe amp. The difference in tone is huge, even with just a slight turn of the tone knob.

As for flatwound strings, I put chrome flats on my Gretsch lap steel, to try and get a mellower tone, but it's still fairly bright, but with less sustain.

I don't know what kind of bar you're using, but there's probably a bar that could at least contribute to the kind of tone you're looking for.
Mark Bracewell

Post by Mark Bracewell »

Ryan Barwin wrote:...it's only got one pickup, but with the tone pot rolled back, I can get a really nice jazz tone ... [t]he difference in tone is huge, even with just a slight turn of the tone knob.
I think this statement is immensely valuable and I would like to draw attention to it.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the Remington. That big, heavy plank of wood and the E66 pu make an unbeatable combination in my view. But it's reall a console guitar. Rather heavy for lap play, I think.
Amor vincit omnia
Stephen Seitz

jazz tunings/planks

Post by Stephen Seitz »

...you know, you guys are great to re-read!
..AND I've got a deep curiosity about jazz tunings and which lap does the trick!!
Any current insight would be great !!
Thanks!
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

I wonder why no on 'known' ever actually used an archtop for lap playing prior to solid bodies. becoming prevelant
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

Lack of sustain, probably - archtops usually don't have a lot of sustain, compared to solidbodies...
Leroy Beal

Post by Leroy Beal »

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Cole Clark's Violap. Semi hollow body with multiple pickups. Here is a link to Jerry Douglas demonstrating one.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2009 ... l_Jam.aspx
Leroy Beal
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Leroy Beal wrote:I'm surprised that no one mentioned Cole Clark's Violap. Semi hollow body with multiple pickups. Here is a link to Jerry Douglas demonstrating one.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2009 ... l_Jam.aspx
mainly

it doesn't sound like an archtop just masquerading as one due to the f-holes. there's absolutely no jazz tone there. At least not on that video.
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Roman Sonnleitner wrote:Lack of sustain, probably - archtops usually don't have a lot of sustain, compared to solidbodies...
true but, jazz guitarists don't sustain so we need to define jazz tone :)
Dave Sky

Post by Dave Sky »

Hi Mike,
Here is the topic where I asked about using a jazz box as a lap steel. Check out Andy Volk's post.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... t=jazz+box